Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

Mitsubishi thinks they are so sneaky...SEMA is the only thing you need to say.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2004, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitsubishi thinks they are so sneaky...SEMA is the only thing you need to say.

Well I went to my Mitsubishi dealership today because first I wanted to get a refund for my extended warranty that I no longer want since they will try to void it anyway. My temp gauge seemed to go out just the other day too so I figured I might as well get it checked out at the same time.
Well the wait wasnt that long but then the guy saw my car and when I told him that the temp gauge went out he said well have you or anyone modified anything on your car. I was thinking to myself hey look at it jackass ofcourse. But I told him that it was probably just some wiring but I havent looked into it and no one has messed with the ecu or anything.
I took care of my refund and the same mechanic came back in and was shaking his head at me. He told me that he popped my hood and saw my turbo and accessories and told me that I would have to pay for whatever he did since my car was modified. He also threatened me that they may void my warranty. I started yelling at him and said that the sema laws say that one may modify their car to however they want as long as it doesnt break any laws. If any dealership mentions that they are going to void your warranty they must point out that some modification was at fault for the problem that occurred. I told him that if he didnt want to fix it that I would get my lawyer and return to the dealership tomorrow. He then said ok and talked to his manager. His manager came out and was kissing my *** all over. He said he was sorry that the mechanic said he was going to have to bill me and to not worry because my present warranty was perfectly fine. My car was then done in another 5 min. It was just a wire that had come loose as I expected but I was too lazy to check.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Don't let the dealerships take advantage of you. SEMA laws prtect the consumers who modify their vehicles in any way. Telling them a lawyer is going to get into it helps also.
IF you have any other questions on SEMA do a search. Hobie always posts stuff on it.
I just thhought I would tell my story though. Thats all folks.
Old Apr 1, 2004, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is not a SEMA law but the Magnussen-Moss warranty act, but I am glad that they backed down once you mentioned it anyway.
Old Apr 1, 2004, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Million dollar question is... Does the Magnussen-Moss warranty act apply to canadians as well?
Old Apr 1, 2004, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good question. If it doesn't does Canada have any other laws that relate to this?

Just got a 04 Lancer ES that I'm going to start mod'n after the break in. This is good stuff to keep in mind.
Old Apr 1, 2004, 06:44 PM

No, the M-M law is not active here. There are, I believe, similar laws. Regardless, my dealership does not void a warantee claim unless there is a direct link between activity/modification and what's gone wrong.