Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

How To Remove Stock OZ Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2005 | 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

what kinda wheel were you trying to fit on there?
Old Mar 8, 2005 | 11:58 PM
Account Disabled

is there a way i can put my airbag and fhorn cover/airbag cover on a different wheel.. cuz my wheel is messed up and i wanna get thi sguys wheel but his bags blown... can i fit my stuff on just his wheel... its from a new ralliart.....
Old Mar 15, 2005 | 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

not sure, do you have a pic of the ralliart wheel. If it looks similiar to the OZ wheel you probably could do an airbag swap. Not sure about swapping anything into an evo steering wheel.

Then again I never ripped my old ES open to see how the inside is. It might be the same for all.
Old Apr 4, 2005 | 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

OK, i swapped my OZ steering wheel for a JDM Evo 7 wheel today. It was a total pain in the @$$. First of all the instructions you all posted made matters worse. Anyone else changing steering wheels should follow my directions:

1. Unhook neg (-) side of battery and leave it for 1 hour.

2. Under the steering wheel, use a small flathead screwdriver to pop off the plastic cover over the wiring harnesses.

3. Unhook the yellow airbag harness by pulling the white slide on the side of the harness.

4. Unhook the horn wire by pulling apart the clear plastic contact cover.

5. If your lancer has cruise control, unhook the third cruise control harness.

6. Insert the long end of an 8mm hex key into the hole on the lower left side of the steering wheel. Its very tight so you may want to slide a box end wrench over the hex key for leverage.

7. Pull the steering wheel off SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY and constantly check to make sure no wiring is snagged on the wheel.

8. If you are switching to an Evo wheel, cover the cruise control harness with electrical tape at stow it away inside the new wheel.
Old Apr 5, 2005 | 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

I dont see anything you did out of the ordinary from what i did....how did my directions make things worse....
Old Apr 5, 2005 | 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

besides mines not the only write up on how to install a steering wheel. Theres a post stickied in the install forum which is how i learned to do mine. All the info is already there...
Old Apr 13, 2005 | 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

will the airbag from the stock wheel swap over into the evo wheel?
Old Apr 14, 2005 | 04:52 AM

On the steering wheel at the bottom you can avoid waiting thirty minutes by juts unplugging the yellow cable to the air bag. also you need to disconnect the battery.

Also you need a steering wheel hub from an Evo to mount the Evo steering wheel on an OZ.
Old Apr 14, 2005 | 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

.....not quite sure what you mean by a steering hub....im assuming thats something normally built right on to the evo steering wheel? Cuz mine bolted right in, i didnt need to get an adapter or anything...

Last edited by timdog4life; Apr 14, 2005 at 01:44 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2005 | 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

WHere are you people buying your frickin steering wheels from man? damn i need one., bad! WITH an airbag. cause i dont think the STOCK airbag will fit the evolution wheel / does it?
Old Apr 14, 2005 | 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

chris just be patient and watch the for sale section on the boards....thats where i got mine...or better yet just post in the sale section that you want to buy an evo steering wheel with airbag and how much you are willing to spend. That way people will contact you to see if your interested.

The average going rate was around $400, not sure what they're going for now, but I got mad lucky and got mine for $300 when Rollaway upgraded to a sparco wheel.

Last edited by timdog4life; Apr 14, 2005 at 01:45 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2005 | 12:36 AM
Evolved Member

is this the only how to on removing the steering wheel, you guys mention there's a sticky but I swear I looked through all the sticky ones and I can't find it.....I'm driving myself insane looking for it....lol
Old Jun 21, 2005 | 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

hmmmm.....I couldnt find anything either....and I swear there was a sticky somewhere that I used. Oh well, its really quite easy. Here's what a few others did, its all basically the same steps.

Originally Posted by ghostrider
1. Unhook negative battery post.
2. Turn stock wheel so you can access the back panel.
3. Pop the plastic panel off and get access to the connections for the airbag and horn.
4. Be careful in removing the clips, because the yellow one I believe has a clip that needs to be pushed in before it will pull out.
5. Get the proper size allen key (sorry, can't remember what size) and find the little hole on the side of the wheel.
6. Before you take off the stock wheel, be sure to have the wheel aligned straight so your new wheel doesn't sit at an angle.
7. Reverse all steps, skipping step 6.
Originally Posted by Smoktout
it's easy to take the stock steering wheel off. there are 2 allen key type screws on either side of the wheel. they are VERY tight. i belive a 10 or 12mm allen key is what does it. it also needs to be a long tool so u can get it in there. then you unhook all the wires and pull it off hard. u might need to pull each side til it gets loose. MAKE SURE THE STOCK WHEEL IS STRAIGHT WHEN U PULL IT OFF. to put the evo 7 wheel on just slide it on. there is a plastic piece towards the back bottom of the wheel which covers the airbag plug. take this clip off, plug it in, hide the wires, and put the plastic piece back on. make sure you have the steering wheel pushed all the way in, there should only be a 1 or 2 mm gap between that and the dash, if there is more of a gap, the wheel won't lock back into place. after it is pushed in and lookin good, screw the nut located near the light switch. if it doesn't lock in, the wheel isn't pushed back far enough. make sure that is tight cuz i dont think u want to pull the wheel off the column. after that, drive around and make sure it is aligned straight.

WARNING: i would def. unplug the battery for this one. you dont want the sudden electric surge to set off the airbag in ur face. that's how broken noses happen.(well one of the ways)

Originally Posted by LaNceRiTiZ
the size of the key is 8mm......
hope some of this info helps. if you need any additonal info send me a pm or an email and I'll try to explain everything I did when I installed mine. The steps are exactly the same as the above ones listed but I know they arent' very detailed.
Old Jun 21, 2005 | 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

This is a really really easy thing to do. Follow my instructions or ghostriders and you will be fine.

1. Park your car with the steering wheel exactly straight.

2. Unhook neg (-) side of battery and leave it for 1 hour.

3. Under the steering wheel, use a small flathead screwdriver to pop off the plastic cover over the wiring harnesses.

4. Unhook the yellow airbag harness by pulling the white slide on the side of the harness.

5. Unhook the horn wire by pulling apart the clear plastic contact cover.

6. If your lancer has cruise control, unhook the third cruise control harness.

7. Insert the long end of an 8mm hex key into the hole on the lower left side of the steering wheel. Its very tight so you may want to slide a box end wrench over the hex key for leverage.

8. Pull the steering wheel off SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY and constantly check to make sure no wiring is snagged on the wheel.

9. If you are switching to an Evo wheel, cover the cruise control harness with electrical tape at stow it away inside the new wheel.

10. Make sure you put the new steering wheel on in the same straight position the original was in or you will have to do it all over again to straighten it out.

11. Follow the removal steps in reverse to lock in the new wheel.

Last edited by elpedro; Jun 21, 2005 at 09:06 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2005 | 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

ahh, kewlness.....now I just gotta find an evo 8 steering wheel....lol

Quick Reply: How To Remove Stock OZ Steering Wheel