Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

How To Remove Stock OZ Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2005 | 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

How To Remove Stock OZ Steering Wheel

I bought an Evo VIII steering wheel, now I need to know how to remove the stock wheel without setting off the airbag. I know to disconnect the Battery, but is there any backup system that might hold a charge that could still set off the air bag? I have only changed wheels on cars without airbags so far so this is new territory for me. I would like a step by step how to from someone who has already done this swap, but I will take anyone's advise into account. The car being worked on is a 2004 Lancer OZ incase there are any differences between the 02-03 to the 04-05 models.
Thanks in advance of any info.
L8R, Jay
Old Jan 25, 2005 | 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

i would like to know also... i'm purchasing a wheel in a couple weeks... i've never replaced one before
Old Jan 25, 2005 | 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

I thought I had read somewhere once to wait a while after disconnecting the battery, but I wasn't sure. Since this is the first time I am doing a car with an air bag, I didn't want to blow my head off!
Thanks, Jay
Old Jan 25, 2005 | 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

i would suggest waiting. the last thing you need is an airbag smacking you in the face when your car is stopped!
Old Jan 25, 2005 | 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

i got a evo steering wheel. just the wheel.. because i was told it would hook straight in... but it doesnt. the back of the wheel has four bolt holes and the lancer has the one hole.. anyone know how i put it in..
Old Jan 25, 2005 | 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

Whoa, wait a min. The Evo steering wheel does not have the same bolt pattern as the OZ wheel? I was told that the two were interchangable also. Before I go ripping my stock wheel out, has anyone done this change over already? I need to know the proceedure, tools needed, and what to expect when I do this.
Thanks, Jay
Old Jan 25, 2005 | 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

not sure what blacklancer is talking about...ive got the evo 8 wheel and it fit fine. So do many other people. Blacklancer can you please post pics to show what you are talking about because I didnt notice any of this when I did my steering wheel.
Old Jan 25, 2005 | 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

yea see.. i know i dont have the airbag.. and i took my steering wheel apart to see if i needed another piece.. nothing.. the 4 holes.. and then the one big hole on the lancer.. ahh.. what do i do.
Attached Thumbnails How To Remove Stock OZ Steering Wheel-wheel.jpg  
Old Jan 25, 2005 | 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

Timdog4life,
Can you give me a basic run through of how you changed your wheel over? Any special tools needed? Was it very difficult? So far I have changed wheels in a few other cars, each was a new challenge. First was a 1983 Blazer, then there was a 1986 Fiero, and a few others for friends that I did. None of which had an air bag. Two of them had to have an adapter for the wheel to mount to. One of them I had to have a slide hammer to get the stock wheel off the steering yoke. Please fill me in on anything that I need to get this job done right. BTW, my steering wheel is from a wrecked Evo VIII so the air bag is blown. Can I still use the wheel as I save up enough to buy a new air bag? Or do I need the air bag for the horn to work?
Thanks, Jay
Old Jan 25, 2005 | 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

I was just reading another post and found this pic. If you look, you will see where the 4 bolts are attaching the plate that has the single hole in it to the back of the wheel. Someone did not send you that part of the wheel.

L8R, Jay
Old Jan 25, 2005 | 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

that definitly sucks. does anyone know where i could get that part from??

and all ya need to get off the oz wheel is a big allen wrench on the side and unplug the 2 plugs underneath for the horn and airbag.
Old Jan 25, 2005 | 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

yeah it looks like shado's right, you need that extra back piece to be able to mount the wheel to the car itself.
Although it might cost you a bit I'd try a dealership, thats about the only place I can think of.
Or you could always try to sell the one you have and wait for somebody to sell their complete evo wheel.

Shado, you can install one without the air bag, as to whether to horn will work im not sure, but i think it will because the horn itself isnt being activated by pressure on the airbag (not sure I'm explaining my thoughts clearly) As for getting a new air bag, as long as you've got the money that shouldnt be too hard. But be warned that a new airbag can be almost a grand itself.

Like blacklancer said install is not that hard at all. It just requires a 10mm hex wrench and I used a hollow piece of pipe to extend the wrench handle to get better leverage. The original wheel is on there really good but it will come off. Then unhood the airbag and the horn. Connect the wires to the evo steering wheel, slide it on, and tighten the bolts.

Important note: disconnect the battery at least an hour prior to removing the stock wheel. This way theres no chance the airbag still has a charge left and can accidentally deploy in your face (which would suck)

Blacklancer: I never noticed those bolt holes because I never actually looked closely at the back of my evo wheel. I just slid it right on and bolted it up. Sorry I cant be of more help
Old Mar 2, 2005 | 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

my problem is how to actually remove the orginal wheel itself... I've never done this before... do you pry open the middle part for the horn? where are the bolts?
Old Mar 4, 2005 | 01:41 AM
Evolved Member

if you look on your steering wheel, on the bottom left side you should see a hole. Inside that hole a good ways down inside it is a 10mm hex bolt. You need to get a 10mm hex key and something like a hollow bar to slide over the hex key.

Then twist the bolt with all your might using the bar as added leverage (that bolt is really really on there) to the left. Once you get it loose and unscrew it a few times then you can pull the steering wheel up and unhook the airbag and horn sensors.

But first, make sure you lock the steering wheel and unhook the battery. This way it wont move around while your working on it and the airbag wont accidently be deployed while you're working on it.
Old Mar 4, 2005 | 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by timdog4life
if you look on your steering wheel, on the bottom left side you should see a hole. Inside that hole a good ways down inside it is a 10mm hex bolt. You need to get a 10mm hex key and something like a hollow bar to slide over the hex key.

Then twist the bolt with all your might using the bar as added leverage (that bolt is really really on there) to the left. Once you get it loose and unscrew it a few times then you can pull the steering wheel up and unhook the airbag and horn sensors.

But first, make sure you lock the steering wheel and unhook the battery. This way it wont move around while your working on it and the airbag wont accidently be deployed while you're working on it.
thanx timdog... everything went well except it's an 8mm hex key... and everything was fine till the damn ebay bought hub didn't fit! pisses me off... i always say i'm not going to buy ebay.. but hell... i did again... and it doesn't fit... again... anybody else know where to get legit lancer hub adapters?

Quick Reply: How To Remove Stock OZ Steering Wheel