Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

odometer

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2005, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you just have to note how many miles were on the car when you did the swap. then the person you sell it to will just have to take your word for it, and most people understand that with old cars that have engine swaps. So then you just subtract the miles from the swap with the total miles and thats the actual miles.
Old Oct 15, 2005, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

or you can drive it till it turns back over to 000000 *just a thought*
Old Oct 15, 2005, 10:44 PM
Evolved Member

would it really or would it stay at 99999999?
Old Oct 15, 2005, 11:02 PM
Evolving Member

someone try it and post it up
Old Oct 16, 2005, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by celerilux
someone try it and post it up
lol, how many miles do you guys have btw. im lookin at 50g for an 02
Old Oct 21, 2005, 05:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hold up everybody chill out on this guy... "BAN HIM!" "BAN HIM!"
You all sound like your Condemning/Crucifying Christ all over again, Relax...
I want to know this answer too, but heres why:

Im looking to do a guage cluster swap (Black ES to Red Evo), and in the "How-To" it doesnt answer how to fix your odo. numbers which are in the cluster...
If I have 35000 mls. but switch to another cluster, I wanna set it for 35000mls!!!
Soooo, How dooo I *** with the Odometer...?

Marcos M. Duarte

ODOMETER!!!

I Like the emoticons
Old Oct 21, 2005, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Again, its illegal to change the odometer yourself. Wouldn't it just be too tempting to roll it back just a little farther than 35000 - say 30000 or 25000 There are shops that have the $1000+ software and hardware required to change the odometer. These shops have federal licenses which allow them to change the odometer value. They give a certificate and all that jazz to make it legal. If you are interested in learning more, Google it. Thats how I learned
Old Oct 21, 2005, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

but, most imporantly, and the ending fact, does the ECU, log how many miles are on in the first place. say you do switch out the guage cluster ,and the new one has 20000 miles less, would it be recorded anywhere else, besided recipts?
Old Oct 22, 2005, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Good point, but figure if the new guage's odometer has 2000miles less or whatever, its gonna be changed to what my orginal odometer read. So in result, youde think it would match whatevers saved to my ECU of coarse, no?

Marcos M. Duarte
Old Oct 22, 2005, 10:46 PM
Evolving Member

I put an evo 8 gauge cluster in my lancer which took about 5k off my odometer, i think the correct mileage is in the ecu but when i sell it i just tell when what i did and what its off by and if they want they can check edu. As for engine swap, i read alot of rx7 forums and they put new engines in all the time, when ever they are selling they just say hey it has like 90k on it but 11k on motors cause that 90k doesnt just mean motor, it means body parts, suspension componets, fuel lies, everything so to change it just cause you changed the motor, that doesnt mean that everything on the rest of the car is up to date.
Old Oct 22, 2005, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The ECU does not store the mileage at all. Think about it. If it did, everytime you disconnected the battery, you'd reset your odometer. The mileage is stored in a chip located on the gauge cluster circuit board itself. Thats what you need the hardware and software for - to connect to the chip and then alter the stored value.
Old Oct 23, 2005, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Z_Lancer_Man
The ECU does not store the mileage at all. Think about it. If it did, everytime you disconnected the battery, you'd reset your odometer. The mileage is stored in a chip located on the gauge cluster circuit board itself. Thats what you need the hardware and software for - to connect to the chip and then alter the stored value.
so in reality, changing your cluster changes the amount of miles said to be on the car? wtf is the point of that. There has to be some way else it stores it. whats not to say i smash my odometer one day for being upset at an old person, i do live in south florida , and gives me another one, after paying, and not changing the miles. what proof would they have that i hhad my miles up so high?
Old Oct 23, 2005, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

i think his explanation made perfect sense. i doubt they will (can) sell one without putting the miles on themselves.
Old Oct 23, 2005, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lunchb0x
so in reality, changing your cluster changes the amount of miles said to be on the car? wtf is the point of that. There has to be some way else it stores it. whats not to say i smash my odometer one day for being upset at an old person, i do live in south florida , and gives me another one, after paying, and not changing the miles. what proof would they have that i hhad my miles up so high?
yes...but in reality have your ever heard of a odometer being smashed?
Old Oct 26, 2005, 02:44 AM
Evolved Member

Ya ever hear of a car being "Totalled"... yeah, in fact Ive heard of everything being smashed... and then rebuilt, so theres a possibility that... ah F*ck it Im goin' to the Parts Dept. at Mitsu. and just askin 'em, why waste anyones time, after that beers on me, whos comin?...

Marcos M. Duarte

Quick Reply: odometer