Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

DVD defeat on '08 Lancer GTS

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2007, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure if its an OEM install, they got a little smarter over the years and made it harder for people to modify. Hooking it up to a speed sensor is no far fetched idea.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I am sure....you can take the hand brake off and put the car in drive and the video still works. It is not untill you start moving over a certain mile per hour that it shuts off.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by akira2_03
i would just ask the dealership if they know. never heard of a setup like that before!
The service guys at the local dealership said they would ask the rep from Mitsu when he came in. I would imagine he will most likely tell them he can't say or does not know. If anything comes from it i'll put it up.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

Old Apr 24, 2007, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

^Well, I hope this'll help someone with more of an electronics background. Couldn't figure it all out... But good job on the post!
Old May 4, 2007, 06:21 AM

My bet would be that they based it off the same that that Pioneer did with there AVIC systems and they are GPS based motioned. So as soon as the car picks up a certain speed with the GPS is senses it and shuts the video down. If it was a parking break issue I am sure we would of all heard about this. I am waiting on a local dealer to locate mine then I will be behind the wheel of a White or Blue one when they can make another dealer part with one.

But I think that they got smart now and instead of making it one solid ground like alot of units out there (minus Alpine and a couple others) and they are now making a GPS motion based to turn off the DVD function while in drive. Which sucks ***** but there has to be a way around it I am sure its just a matter of time. I just know I am an impatient bastard and I am not willing to give up my Everyday watch of a Movie on the way to work and I am not about to pull out that Navigation and replace it with another Unit.

Last edited by CarAudiophile; May 4, 2007 at 06:41 AM.
Old May 4, 2007, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I will try to figure it out.

Last edited by Kurt; May 4, 2007 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Spelling. Removed question that belongs in the newbie forum.
Old May 14, 2007, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

Hokay, so I'm pretty sure it's connected to the VSS. The defeat most likely looks for a certain input value from the sensor - which type of value I'm not yet sure. Next logical step to me would be have someone with a multimeter test the line between the VSS and the stereo and watch which values fluctuate during acceleration. Once this is found out we could move to the next step, which is probably defeating the input to the radio while (using resistors maybe?) simulating feedback so the system still thinks the VSS is communicating the pertinent data to the system.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CarAudiophile
My bet would be that they based it off the same that that Pioneer did with there AVIC systems and they are GPS based motioned. So as soon as the car picks up a certain speed with the GPS is senses it and shuts the video down. If it was a parking break issue I am sure we would of all heard about this. I am waiting on a local dealer to locate mine then I will be behind the wheel of a White or Blue one when they can make another dealer part with one.

But I think that they got smart now and instead of making it one solid ground like alot of units out there (minus Alpine and a couple others) and they are now making a GPS motion based to turn off the DVD function while in drive. Which sucks ***** but there has to be a way around it I am sure its just a matter of time. I just know I am an impatient bastard and I am not willing to give up my Everyday watch of a Movie on the way to work and I am not about to pull out that Navigation and replace it with another Unit.
guys, w/ the old aftermarket systems they were just a simple ground (didnt even have to be connected to the parking break sensor wire). I had a kenwood in-dash dvd in my ralliart and had it hooked up like this.

now on a lot of the newer aftermarket dvd systems there is a sequence you have to do to get it to show a dvd/video (connect the wire to the ebrake neg. wire, pull ebrake up, turn on the system), which you could then just ground, unground then ground again permanately. i dont remember the exact sequence but i was an installer at best buy for awhile and that's how the newer ones were.

the above quoted post is pretty close. the navigation/dvd systems have gyros built in to sense motion (these are used in the new pioneer systems and so far i havent found a work-around for these types). not to rain on anyone's parade but if you have navigation, it knows when you are moving. believe me, i want to be able to play dvds or use the aux. inputs while driving too (well not me personally while i'm driving, lol) but i dont know if it's gonna happen.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Most likely when you start moving the value coming from the sensor will be increased resistance. There would have to be a resistor applied in parallel to decrease the resistance. But...becareful...that when at idle the resistance doesn't get too low and burn the circuit out.

What you may want to try is just pulling the wire that comes from the sensor out of the harness connector. Then go take a drive and see if there is any sort of built in defeat in the actual nav/audio unit. This is what I would try first. Unless you got a friend that works for a mitsu dealer that may be able to see if this can be defeated from the MUT.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Just wanted to update this thread. There is now a simple way to get your earlier versions of the MMCS to allow DVD playback while driving. Looks like it has come up recently in the EVO X threads so i thought i would get it up in the Lancer threads again. A patch has been worked out to allow it to do this. The file, for US models, can be found here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/11887654...261UM.iso.html

It is simply a matter of download patch, burn image to CD-R and install as an update to the MMCS. No surgery required.

The recent thread on it is here:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...=335770&page=7

I applied this patch this morning and watched a movie on my way to work. Those behind the patch are currently working on the patch for the newer versions.

Last edited by EmanantEvo; Jun 8, 2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

Finally!!!!

Just read the info and download the file then burn the files to a cd-r, go to my 2008 gts with navigation system turn on the car put the cd into the drive then i received a message with new program found install yes or no, i cross my fingers and select yes, then i see on the screen loading and installing program after like 5 min the sys do a restart and show me the first screen a program has been found, i take off the cd from the drive, go to my house i take my dvd of latina dimes put on the drive i press play, put my car on D and go to the express way and.....W O R K I N G ..... also during the playback of my dvd i change to the navi system and.... W O R K I N G too.

Nice really nice mod.

I checked my version of the loader when go to the secret menu pressing nav + set and i saw my version of the loader is BLD-NR-261UM 1.09.

I think with the same way can be disable the DRL.

Enjoy it!!!!!!!!

Last edited by nelsondevicenci; Jun 6, 2008 at 11:08 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

someone in the thread just succesfully overwrite the DVD-IN-MOTION thing.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 12:49 AM

The modified update cd worked like a charm, now I can have my passengers entertained while I drive.

Now I just wish a hacker can figure out how to disable the DRL's
Old Jun 9, 2008, 09:04 AM

holy crap!!!! it worked! just did that cd update thingy and it f$%@in worked
EMANANTEVO, dude u rock! thanx so much for the info.

BTW, just so we're clear, using it for music video's, not movies while driving

Quick Reply: DVD defeat on '08 Lancer GTS