Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Hid??

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2007, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i brought my car to the garage. the dude installed it for me. he did mention at first that he has to switch the wires cuz the low beam doesnt support the HID. it flickers. so he uses the fog light swithc as my HID.

HID kit + installation + rewiring = $350 CDN thats not bad.
Old May 18, 2007, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, I think I know what he did:

Basically, he took the lowbeam component and switched it with the foglamps. Therefore, if you are running with lights off, your fogs are on. If you switch to headlights on, your fogs get brighter. By flipping the fog switch, instead of activating the fogs it turns on what used to be the headlamps but is now the HIDS.

Crude, but effective. Personally I think I'll continue to trace the DRL system until I find the component that can be tricked.
Old May 18, 2007, 08:56 PM

interesting work around. Still interested in the DRL bypass though.
Old May 19, 2007, 05:31 AM

ok this might be a stupid question, but what are projector kits versus just the HID bulb?

I'm assuming there is a difference...? don't want to install ones that seem like high beams the entire time and get pulled over every single time I drive...
Old May 19, 2007, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

iunno whats the big deal about the DRL. my dad drives a s55 amg. the lights turns on the moment his engine turns on. and so far its good. my mom drives a e350. same situation, the bulbs are still fine.

i turn on my car, and no lights turns on, i flick the knob, foglights turns on and if i want my HID, i can turn it on by turning the knob. whats this DRL u guys are talking about. wahts so good about it.

unless u guys meant the g35 kind. cuz i my first car was g35 and when i turned the car on, the automatic day time running lights were yellow until i turn the xenon on. is that what u guys are lookin for? cuz wieth my current setup, its just as effective.
Old May 19, 2007, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by whitelancerGTS
iunno whats the big deal about the DRL. my dad drives a s55 amg. the lights turns on the moment his engine turns on. and so far its good. my mom drives a e350. same situation, the bulbs are still fine.
The problem with just installing the HID where the low beams are is that when you have the light switch off the lights are running at a lower intensity until you actually switch them (the low beams) on. This could eventually pose to be a problem for the balasts in the long run (Hawkeye).

My question is, whitelancerGTS does your setup void warranty? Actually for that matter, does any type of HID installation void warranty?
Old May 19, 2007, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i brought my car to the garage. the dude installed it for me. he did mention at first that he has to switch the wires cuz the low beam doesnt support the HID. it flickers. so he uses the fog light swithc as my HID.

HID kit + installation + rewiring = $350 CDN thats not bad.

^^ where did you buy the HID kit?
Old May 19, 2007, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

A ballast takes the regular voltage and ups it tons in order to fire the HID beams. As the DRL system uses a lower voltage than usual, this can cause problems with the ballasts getting up enough energy to create the necessary arcs. This in theory would lower the life expectancy of the ballasts, or possibly even fry them completely.

As far as the Mercs you describe, yeah they turn on immediately. So do some BMWs and other vehicles with Bi-Xenon headlamps. But those are created specially to do so. They are a much more complicated and much more expensive setup than most any HID kit you can purchase for a non-HID car.

Difference between projectors and regular HIDs? Projectors are those ones with the litttle fisheye lens in front of them. They're commonly used with Bi-Xenon lamps, and include an autoleveling system (required in some countries) and a valve for lowbeam/highbeam operation.
Old May 20, 2007, 06:06 PM

Hey whitelancer i was just wondering where did u get your HID kit at??
Old May 20, 2007, 11:26 PM
Evolving Member

im located in toronto. theres a garage here that i always goto to get my car done. they ordered it for me. i do however, has a pic of the ballast. or watever. thers a brand on it. hopefully it will help u out. =)

meanwhile i bought these rims for my g35 coupe but never actually got the chance to put them on. they are RIMS ONLY. no rubber. im asking for 800 canadian or best offer. take a look at the pix below. thanks guys.

Old May 20, 2007, 11:28 PM
Evolving Member

btw those are 19 inch.

bolt pattern is 5x114.3 so it fits the lancer perfectly.
Old May 21, 2007, 01:34 PM

hey whitelancer are u running ur hids of 9006 or 9007???
Old May 21, 2007, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:23 AM

im located in toronto. theres a garage here that i always goto to get my car done. they ordered it for me. i do however, has a pic of the ballast. or watever. thers a brand on it. hopefully it will help u
I am also in Toronto what Garage is this I dont have a garage at present.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 03:26 PM

These things are supposed to run for 3000hrs would it be wrong to just keep my light switch on all the time. when I exit the car they turn off automatically anyway.

Quick Reply: Hid??