Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

ES to OZ

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2007, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ES to OZ

Hi, Yes I'm new to the forums, but no im not new to owning a lancer. (lies) I am about to drop 3,400 for a Stock 02 ES. Frankly, I like the OZ waaaay better, but its also waaaay more expensive.

but anyway, I was wondering what it would take to completely transform my Plain Jane ES into a Rippin OZ Rally Edition?

I know the things that the OZ has that the ES doesnt;
  • Cruis Control
  • Black Interior (and seats...carpet...roof...0_o)
  • Better Handling?
  • Moon Roof
  • Rear Bumper Lip
  • Front Bumper Lip
  • Side Skirts
  • Spoiler With Leg and LED
  • OZ wheels
  • OZ Guage Cluster
  • Silver Trim (instead of the wood)
  • Better Exhaust?
  • Keyless Entry
  • Rear Armrest with cup holder

? im not sure if these items are true or not.

but anyway, does anyone know where I should go to get all of this done?
Should I ask The dealerships?
Should I go aftermarket?
anyone have a Ballpark figure of how much it might cost?
can you have cruise control installed after you buy the car? 0.o
Will I ask another seemingly annoying question? (yes)
where would I get paint for the interior and what kind?
how do I even begin to paint the interior?

I need some help, I cant stand stock, And I don't want to go aftermarket....yet....so please help me out. Thanks in advance to those who are willing to help

P.S. HOW DO I EVEN BEGIN TO DO WINDOW TINT? O.O
Old May 31, 2007, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

..not much of an aftermarket for lancers..
road race... thats about it man...you should of gotten the OZ but once you have the OZ you want the ralliart thenonce you have that you want the evo and so on and so forth
Old Jun 1, 2007, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

Honestly, outside of looks there are only two major differences between the ES and the OZ outside of style and conviences - the suspension and the cruise control. Some of the suspension can be upgraded to what the OZ had so you aren't really missing anything there. The cruise control is extremely nice on long drives; however, how much you will miss it tends to be up the the owner.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

if you want a OZ spoiler i'm selling the one off my car since i have a VII wing.

the headliner is still grey though... the rest of the interior is black.

i can imagine you could install cruise control if you could source all the parts, it IS the exact same car as the OZ after all. you even have the holes drilled and tapped underneath the car for sway bar perches.

the suspension... there's a puny sway bar and that's about it. get the progress perches and bar from RRM. the stock OZ struts are branded KYB, i haven't gotten a chance to check out an ES so i am not sure whether they are the same or not.

the exhaust is the same on both cars. same cats, same resonator, same muffler. nothing special there. for most of the little parts you'd need you could try to tear apart a wrecked OZ. i got my speaker grilles in the back from a wrecked ES and i just painted them to match my car. use automotive paint on the interior pieces... if the paint is good enough for the outside of the car you won't have any problems with it on the inside. i painted all my interior pieces on my old subaru with dupli-color paint and it never cracked, flaked, or otherwise looked like ***.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 11:26 AM

The headliner is still grey?! WTF?! OUTRAGE!

sure dude, I would love to buy your spoiler. just let me buy the car first XD give me like 3-4 days.

thanks for all you guys' help. I'll probably just go EVO7 with the body (evo 8 or OZ spoiler, tho) and go OZ with the interior. I might drop a good $5000 into aftermarket parts. ;-;

Old Jun 3, 2007, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

if you're going to drop that kind of cash--forget styling and go all turbo and suspension!

if you want to go evo VII for cheaper, get either the CF or fiberglass hood, OZ sideskirts, rear bumper (not sure if it's just a lip), and the RMR type 2 front lip. when i can afford the type 2 lip i'm going to get it and put it on my car. for rims you can look into some ASA EM9s which are real close to the stock VII BBS rims.

but if you're ever serious about the OZ spoiler shoot me a PM here. you'll be at an advantage with a VII or VIII wing since you already have a 3rd brake light and won't have to modify your rear deck to get one in there. i got a evo VIII 3rd brake light so i could pass inspection and so i wouldn't get any trouble from cops.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TaKectrLANCER
just let me buy the car first XD give me like 3-4 days.
LMAO, but you drive an 03 Lancer. Thats what your profile says at least.

If your going to spend that much money, buy an OZ. They are pretty much the same price as an ES. Just take your time, and look around.

****, your average Lancer is about $6k. If you have $5k more, thats a hell of a good down payment on an Evo. But I understand if you like the Lancer.

Last edited by Evo_Jr; Jun 3, 2007 at 12:34 PM.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

can an es even fit a moon roof? ive been wanting one since ive got mine
Old Jun 3, 2007, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

you could have a shop put one in for the right price. everyone i've ever known who had a sun/moon roof installed in their car that came without one always ended up with leaks.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Seriously, if you're going to get it for that cheaply...might as well spend the $5k on a sleeper turbo setup! Forget everything else, all you'll care about is how slow it is... Of course, a grand on Megan coilovers would be a good start on suspension (along with an RRM sway bar!)
Old Jun 3, 2007, 04:38 PM

okay, maybe my list was a bit long, so lets say;

OZ wing
OZ skirts
OZ lips
OZ guages
OZ interior
moon/sun/i-never-knew-the-difference-between-the-two roof

I'll do some engine moding after the new evo comes out, I need to see if it's really worth it.

but in the mean time;

cold air intake
springs
intercoller (to prepare for a possible turbo addon)

OH and the reason my profile says 03 Lancer, is because I had one, it got wrecked while in the parking lot within 5 days of me owning it. Insurance paid me off, but I only have about 2500 to work with.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

if you want to do suspension get coilovers... megan or TEIN basic/SS are the best choice. my friend may be selling his old JICs, i know he switched to megans a little while ago. springs will eventually blow your struts.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by TaKectrLANCER
okay, maybe my list was a bit long, so lets say;

OZ wing
OZ skirts
OZ lips
OZ guages
OZ interior
moon/sun/i-never-knew-the-difference-between-the-two roof

I'll do some engine moding after the new evo comes out, I need to see if it's really worth it.

but in the mean time;

cold air intake
springs
intercoller (to prepare for a possible turbo addon)

OH and the reason my profile says 03 Lancer, is because I had one, it got wrecked while in the parking lot within 5 days of me owning it. Insurance paid me off, but I only have about 2500 to work with.
Save your money and don't bother with a cold air intake, it doesn't do much. Springs are a waste IMO, get a real suspension kit like Megan, Tein or Ksport. You do not need nor can you use an intercooler without a turbo.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 09:07 PM

Seriously? 0_o

shows how much I know about engines : /

New suspension kit. Got it. Also, do they have an evo8 kit for 02-03 lancers?

I saw a REALLY nice kit for the 04+ body style. But IMHO I think that the redesign is too ugly : / but thats just me.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
They do not have an evo 8 kit for the 02-03 lancer. I think accolade made one but it was ugly so no one wanted it. I would suggest you spend more time reading this forum before you buy anything otherwise you might make some very bad choices.

Quick Reply: ES to OZ