Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Drum to disc brake conversion...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2007 | 10:37 PM

Drum to disc brake conversion...

Hey, very new to this forum (this is actually my first post). Anyway, just bought a 2002 OZ Ralley Sport about 4 months ago and it seems to be completely stock...it will not remain that way for long. For now I've been looking for a conversion from the drum brakes to disc brakes for the rear wheels. Any help? Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 3, 2007 | 10:41 PM
Evolving Member

http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/index.php...mart&Itemid=31

welcome to the forums, im new too. what part of vegas you in?
Old Aug 3, 2007 | 10:51 PM

North Las Vegas, thanks for the link. Any idea if there is a cheaper way to do this? $1000+ seems pretty expensive.

Last edited by mstove; Aug 3, 2007 at 11:04 PM.
Old Aug 4, 2007 | 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mstove
North Las Vegas, thanks for the link. Any idea if there is a cheaper way to do this? $1000+ seems pretty expensive.
I thought I read somewhere you could use the rear discs from another car with minor modifications(maybe an eclipse?). I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come by and confirm this.
Old Aug 4, 2007 | 11:27 AM

Can you move the front disc breaks to the back to replace the drums? I mean, if I find a junk yard with a Lancer, would that work?
Old Aug 4, 2007 | 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

It's a custom job...nothing really "bolts in" back there. It's a completely different assembly. For the money you'd be spending on this, it wouldn't be worth the stopping power you'd achieve. Unless you're doing this as a show item, I'd put the money elsewhere...
Old Aug 4, 2007 | 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by クリス
It's a custom job...nothing really "bolts in" back there. It's a completely different assembly. For the money you'd be spending on this, it wouldn't be worth the stopping power you'd achieve. Unless you're doing this as a show item, I'd put the money elsewhere...
+1

Was going to say that sooner but forgot. If you want stopping power put that money in the front brakes upgrading the rotors and pads or even with a big brake kit. If you want the rear to look good then just paint your drums.
Old Aug 4, 2007 | 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Leave the Fronts alone. At best, upgrade to Slotted Rotors.
Go to the Mirage-Lancer Forum: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=217003
Mirage Rear Brakes can replace our Rears. No ones done it yet, so you should, and then document it, and write up a How-To for us
Also, check this out.. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=286890

Last edited by CityKnight; Aug 4, 2007 at 07:34 PM.
Old Aug 4, 2007 | 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

It won't be easy or cheap no matter how you do it (a conversion kit is over 1000$). In the end it's not worth it, the vast majority of the braking is done by the front, the rears are more than capable of doing their share. Just upgrade the pads and maybe the rotors and call it a day. You don't need or want a BBK unless you're building a show car or a track car and if you were making a track car you wouldn't be using a lancer in the first place.
Old Aug 4, 2007 | 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by CityKnight

Leave the Fronts alone. At best, upgrade to Slotted Rotors.
Go to the Mirage-Lancer Forum: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=217003
Mirage Rear Brakes can replace our Rears. No ones done it yet, so you should, and then document it, and write up a How-To for us
Also, check this out.. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=286890
Thanks for everyone's input. No big rush for me on this mod, just thought it would be nice to have disc brakes all around. I will be contacting some junkyards to look for a Mirage to rip the brakes off, probably won't front the cash to pay for everything new especially if I'm the guinea pig. But rest assured if I can find one in a junkyard I'll do it and take plenty of pics and post a how to.

Anyone know if there is a specific model year or trim package of the Mirage that's rumored to have the compatible brakes?

Last edited by mstove; Aug 5, 2007 at 12:20 AM.
Old Aug 5, 2007 | 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Read up on the other threads about the conversion. Some have said that nearly the entire brake system would have to be replaced, braking stopping power would actually decrease, and there are HUGE safety concerns with such a project no matter what anyone else says.

Good luck and be careful!
Old Aug 5, 2007 | 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

I'd think it'd be wise to upgrade the fronts as well otherwise the balance would be changed. Not sure how much this would affect braking though.
Old Aug 5, 2007 | 03:51 PM

I'll continue my research...maybe talk to a few brake shops and get some "expert" opinions on the matter. Maybe they would be able to give me a better idea of how much the front/back braking ratio would change, if at all. Definately don't want to break my car or myself in the process of all this so I won't proceed until I'm sure I can make it work.
Old Sep 5, 2007 | 10:45 AM

drum to disc

i am looking to change my drums to disc on my oz rally but i can't find much and the link isn't working for me.
Old Sep 5, 2007 | 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

No offense, but Amby - for the love of god please make these threads stop.

A little searching goes a long way.

Quick Reply: Drum to disc brake conversion...