Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Spark plugs and wires

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2007 | 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

Spark plugs and wires

i wanted to replace my spark plugs and wires just for maintanence but i haven't done anything like that before. i was looking for a how-to on here but i found one for the plugs with a link in it but that link doesn't work, and there was nothing regarding the wires. i also need to replace my timing belt. can someone please do a howto for these or if there is already one somewhere then can u post a link for me. thanks
Old Dec 26, 2007 | 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

If you're asking for a how-to for spark plugs...honestly, the T-belt change will be too far advanced for you. Sorry. But I would have gladly posted the link to the how-to for the plugs, but the link is no longer found!

To replace wires is nothing...just don't get where they go mixed up. They just pop up and off. For the plugs, you'll need like a 10" extension and an import spark plug socket. I recommend a set of NGK spark plugs, usually found at your local NAPA.
Old Dec 26, 2007 | 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SLVROZ_03
If you're asking for a how-to for spark plugs...honestly, the T-belt change will be too far advanced for you. Sorry. But I would have gladly posted the link to the how-to for the plugs, but the link is no longer found!

To replace wires is nothing...just don't get where they go mixed up. They just pop up and off. For the plugs, you'll need like a 10" extension and an import spark plug socket. I recommend a set of NGK spark plugs, usually found at your local NAPA.
yea i had a feeling that the spark plugs and wires was easy but i didn't even look at it yet i just figured i would first see if there is a howto then in case i need to refer to it then i got it right there instead of looking for one later. the timing belt will probably be hard for me to do but its crazy how easy these how-to's make some projects.

the thing is i was asking around a couple of shopsfor their 60k mile service and they all charge extra to replace the spark plug wires and the timing belt so i thought i should give it a shot myself
Old Dec 26, 2007 | 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, definitely do it yourself! BTW, do you have an auto or std trans? Look into doing a trans flush as well.
Old Dec 30, 2007 | 01:14 PM

spark plugs and wires are way to easy on these cars. go to your local auto parts store ans tell them you need a new set of spark plugs and wires for your car. i recommend you go with a ngk plug and nothing to cheap on the wires. you will need to gap the plug to the car specifics so ask them what the gap is when you get them and spend like 99 cents on a spark plug gapper. to start the acctual instal you neen a 10mm socket to remove the 2 bolts each for the coil packs then pull and slightly twist to remove the wires. the spark plugs are pretty straight forward you will need a longer extension with a 5/8 spark plug socket. remove them one at a time and replce them in the same order. now you need to gap them if you need to know how to use the gaper just repost and tightening the spark plugs down you feel them get tight just dont try to go all heman on them that will make for a bad day. if any more questions pm me. hope tht helps ya out.
Old Dec 30, 2007 | 02:54 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by theory29zane
spark plugs and wires are way to easy on these cars. go to your local auto parts store ans tell them you need a new set of spark plugs and wires for your car. i recommend you go with a ngk plug and nothing to cheap on the wires. you will need to gap the plug to the car specifics so ask them what the gap is when you get them and spend like 99 cents on a spark plug gapper. to start the acctual instal you neen a 10mm socket to remove the 2 bolts each for the coil packs then pull and slightly twist to remove the wires. the spark plugs are pretty straight forward you will need a longer extension with a 5/8 spark plug socket. remove them one at a time and replce them in the same order. now you need to gap them if you need to know how to use the gaper just repost and tightening the spark plugs down you feel them get tight just dont try to go all heman on them that will make for a bad day. if any more questions pm me. hope tht helps ya out.

Does this go for an 02 OZ Rally too? I've never changed spark plugs and I'm getting ready to do it tomorrow. I just want something I can reference to in case I **** it up.
Old Dec 31, 2007 | 06:35 PM

yes this will be the same steps for an 02 OZ
Old Dec 31, 2007 | 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

yup very easy.

just need the right tools to do it. Like SLVR said, you need a long extension to unscrew the plugs and then rescrew once you're putting them back in. You'd also like a thin magnet extension to pull out the plugs. If anything you'll have to unscrew two screws on two plate covers to get to the plugs.
Old Jan 1, 2008 | 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

sorry eveyrone i was away for a while. thanks for the replies so far. btw i was looking online and saw that spark plugs ranged from $5-$10. the $10 one was the busch one and i was thinking about just getting that but what quality are the stock plugs? about how much would u guys say i should spend on plugs so that i don't spend too much but still get better quality ones than stock?

Originally Posted by SLVROZ_03
Yeah, definitely do it yourself! BTW, do you have an auto or std trans? Look into doing a trans flush as well.
yea i have an auto and i also did want to get the trans flush, coolant flush etc also but the shop i usually go said they charge like $250 for all that . u think thats a good price or should i do that myself too. how easy is that stuff?
Old Jan 2, 2008 | 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

^For the auto "flush", what I did is get 8qts of Mitsu ATF III from the dealership. During an oil change I flushed out what fluid the tranny would release (about 4 qts). I believe the drain plug is a 19mm?, but it's on the driver's side and is best accessed w/o the wheel on there...but I'm sure you can get to it w/ the wheel on there too. Replace the drained fluid with new fluid until @ a proper level. At your next oil change, do the process again. It's not a "prefect" flush, but extremely easy (like an oil change, but easier cuz no filter to change).
Old Jan 2, 2008 | 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

^^ thanks man. btw any suggestions on the plugs question in my last post?
Old Jan 2, 2008 | 01:47 PM

bosch are alright but last time i checked they didnt offer iridium in our car...and iridiums are just crazy so i went with the NGKs . just make sure you dont drop anything like dirt...lint...chickens into that hole that the plug came out of
Old Jan 5, 2008 | 12:59 PM
Account Disabled

Any pics? The "how to change your spark plugs" thread from blacksheepdj isn't working.
Old Jan 5, 2008 | 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

i haven't gotten around doing this yet... waiting for the weather to warm up a bit. btw for the plugs are any of the aftermarket ones are better than our stocks or are there perticular brands i should look for?
Old Jan 5, 2008 | 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

NGK are the preferd plug, around here.
I have Bosch in now and have used NGK in the past, both seem to work fairly well.
Save a few bucks and get NGK.

Quick Reply: Spark plugs and wires