Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

DVD While Driving Bypass

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2008, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD While Driving Bypass

I've been out of it for a few months or so, and I was just wondering if there were any updates or if anyone has successfully figured out how to bypass the DVD safety feature so you can play videos and stuff on your navigation screen while the car is in motion.

Any help or links would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have to find out what the screen uses to activate it..

simplest would be a pulse ground hooked to the parking break and all you'd need in that case would be an interupt switch in that line that you could flick the switch to simulate the parking break being engaged

which is what my pioneer uses
Old Jan 9, 2008, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

wrong
Old Jan 9, 2008, 02:10 PM

Yeah, I know that grounding the e-brake doesn't work with this...or atleast that's what I've heard.

So does anyone have a solution or a fix?
Old Jan 9, 2008, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

No one knows for sure, I think it's tied into the CAN-BUS system in which case you would need to have your CPU re-programmed to get what you want..... Good Luck.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 07:48 PM

I've been watching this thread. so if I splice the green/pink line and splice the gps antenna to a switch will this not work?
Old Jan 9, 2008, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

i just ground the wire that suppose to hook up to the hand brake switch. i work for mine kenwood dvd player.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

nm. u guys probaby talking about the factory player.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

You have to splice all sorts of stuff you should'nt splice for a 08 with nav and dvd.

IT IS NOT ATTACHED TO THE HAND BRAKE!
IT IS NOT ATTACHED TO THE HAND BRAKE!
IT IS NOT ............

If you have an aftermarket system then it probably is. Thats the easiest place for an installer to mount a trip in order to comply with the law.

Mitsu programmed the DVD not to come on if (1) the speedo was reading x + miles per hour and (2) the GPS was reporting movement. You do not want to cut either of these two wires. The GPS antenna itself is a mini coax cable, not easy to mess with.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

I was going to say the same thing. It is somehow tied into the can-bus unit that is mounted underneath the nav unit in the dash. I thought maybe a G-sensor would cause it. But...there is no G-sensor on our cars.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 09:16 PM

The MMCS dvd in motion (Operation Prohibition as they call it in the source code) is entirely controlled by the MMCS's software. There are also hooks in the software to disallow entering addresses and what not was well, but luckily for us most of those are allowed (there are a couple of functions in the navigation that are indeed disabled while in motion, but nothing of importance). Based on this, I have a hunch that the next navigation software update will keep us from doing this, too ....

The MMCS gets the vehicle speed from the car's speed sensor. If you disconnect that, you will get video for a few minuts until it reverts to the GPS to determine the speed. I have a hunch that if you disable that it may just use the accelerometer. The only way to disable it is by reverse engineering the software in the MMCS to find a way to bypass it.

Thats not to say there isn't a CAN option coding to allow it, but it is certainly not documented anywhere public and the dealer's know nothing about it.

ANYBODY who is good at reverse engineering binary Windows CE executables and libraries for a hitachi SH-4 processor PLEASE contact me.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 06:48 AM

I understood that if you have the antenna unplugged and the speedo wire bypassed it works. I'm an AV Tech so I'm not worried about working with the mini-coax (just use some BNC's)
Old Jan 10, 2008, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Exactly why I bought mine with the factory crap radio and replaced it with a Pioneer DVD/NAV unit. It took some creative fabricating to get it to look decent after the install but it was much easier to do that than attempt what brian360 is talking about (which by the way gave me a headache while trying to understand the technical stuff) LOL! Good luck though guys!
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:20 AM

Has anyone tried splicing the green/pink wire and leaving the antenna unplugged? If that works than I think this can be done with some BNC's