Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

hardwiring items into the car

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2008, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hardwiring items into the car

does anyone know how to hardwire stuff into the car, for example a radar detector GPS system?

Would it be possible to be done with an ipod charger?

and one more question, is there anyway to split the AUX inputs. mainly for the reason because i want try to put a dock for the ipod into my car.

jw if anyone knows how to split the rca inputs with a switch or hardwire anything to the car.

Old Mar 6, 2008, 01:37 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hardwiring should be no problem. The front cig lighter seems a good choice to me, since it's only hot when the car is on (you don't really need a radar detector on 24-7, obviously).

Same should be true about the iPod charger.

As long as you can wire hot to hot and ground to ground, I'd imagine you'll be fine.

I know nothing about the AUX/RCA stuff, so I won't bother to guess . . .
Old Mar 6, 2008, 02:24 PM

it there a how to on that? i searched it before i posted but there were hella hits.

it b nice for some with a link to a how to or even one specific to our cars.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 05:14 PM

For hardwiring 12 volt, the cig lighter would be a good choice for your hot wire and ground location, ( you would just piggy back onto the wires, ) or you can buy fuse tap from an auto parts store or stereo shop. You would then attach a ground screw to the frame or body somewhere. Make sure you scrape off any paint, under the carpet is nice. I would only use this method if you wanted 12 volt on all the time, even when the car is off.

As for the rcas, you can buy two rca splitters, but if you have both audio sources on at the same time it could cause undesireable operation. For example, the inputs you plug into should be female, therefore, buy two rca- y adapters with a single male plug on one end, and two females on the other. But say you hook two ipods to that, turn them both on at the same time, both songs playing would play over each other. I imagine there is some sort of switch box available, but will most likely have to be powered, and i have no clue where to find one.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 05:15 PM

A junction box, or buss bar like for boats is also available if you are to be powering multiple sources. You can find these at boating/outdoor stores, or auto part stores.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

yes hardwiring the radar is simple i hardwired my cobra xrs r9g and it turns off when the cars off and starts with the car......take a number 15 fuse out and wrap the positive wire through the fuse anspush it back in....then theres a screw right next to the fuse box...take the negative wire and wrap it around the screw and screw it back in. now ur done. now to hide the cables. u car put the radar up by the rear view mirror and run the wires thru the headliner to your a pillar. noy open the door take the wstripping out and pull the a pillar off.....dont worry it wont break.. now run the wire through the and then inside by where the hood release is and bam u got hidden wires and a sweet setup
have fun splitting rca cables.....what a pain

Last edited by Sofla GTS; Mar 7, 2008 at 07:13 AM.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 10:42 PM

thanks everyone. i'll try it out and come back if i need more help
Old Mar 8, 2008, 01:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sofla GTS
yes hardwiring the radar is simple i hardwired my cobra xrs r9g and it turns off when the cars off and starts with the car......take a number 15 fuse out and wrap the positive wire through the fuse anspush it back in....then theres a screw right next to the fuse box...take the negative wire and wrap it around the screw and screw it back in. now ur done. now to hide the cables. u car put the radar up by the rear view mirror and run the wires thru the headliner to your a pillar. noy open the door take the wstripping out and pull the a pillar off.....dont worry it wont break.. now run the wire through the and then inside by where the hood release is and bam u got hidden wires and a sweet setup
have fun splitting rca cables.....what a pain
Wire it in properly!!!!! Can't stress that enough. You are looking for a possible car fire!!!! When a mechanic sees that he shakes his head at what a noob the person is. Take the fuse panel down and find power from your maxi fuses or from the power bars behind the fuse panel and get the connection from mitsu and make your own 5-10 amp fuse or whatever and then have a factory installed seperate fuse for your additions!!!!!

There are additional fuse slots for a reason!!!!!

Shame on you sofla!
Old Mar 8, 2008, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

lol thats what i was told to do by a professional installer
Old Mar 8, 2008, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Thats very sad. It does work but it doesn't look professional. If I tried to do that at my dealership, i would be shot and left to hang.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 11:24 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Sofla GTS
lol thats what i was told to do by a professional installer
Doesn't surprise me.

Originally Posted by CamShaft
Thats very sad. It does work but it doesn't look professional. If I tried to do that at my dealership, i would be shot and left to hang.
You'd be amazed what you can get away with. One local place has an example of a poorly wired car alarm sitting in their front room. I was looking at it when I took my fiancee to pick up her car. The car alarm they wired in never worked right and looked like an avalance of wires. Hypocrites...
Old Mar 9, 2008, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

lol well 3 months and i havent had a problem soooo......
Old Mar 9, 2008, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

sooo, one wire slips out from regular vibrations and you short to ground then start an electrical fire all because it wasn't secured.