Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

08 Lancer purchase

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 Lancer purchase

Hey guys,
I'm new here and haven't purchased a Lancer as of yet. I have been driving my 88 BMW 325i convertible for the last 5 years and I think its time to turn her in for something alittle more safe.

I have been comparing 3 cars and my main goal is safety.

A couple questions..if you don't mind.

I have been reading the thread about problems with the Lancer, Should I wait until the 09 model comes out? Maybe they would fix a couple of the issues.

I am a Manual Tranny guy but my dealership didn't have any for me to drive, how is the M/T in them? Would you recommend the M/T or stick with the Auto?

Is there a Lancer that you can get the Sound package in without the Sun? I emailed the dealer but they haven't responded.

Has anyone got in a serious accident with the Lancer that might want to share?

My ideal Lancer would be GTS M/T, Black, Sound but no Sun.

Anything else that you can let me know about the Lancer would be great.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:06 AM

No you cant get the sound without the sun. IT is a good car i have the 08 with no bugs.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:25 AM

Ive had my Lancer since about August and I love it! My only piece of advice would be to buy winter tires cause the tires that come with it are crap!
I have the MT and its my first manual and honestly i love the feel of it. This car drives so nice and the handling is amazing.
Im not sure if you can get sound without the sun, maybe it depends on the dealership but i think u have to get both.
I got S&S, love my sunroof and the rockford fosgate system is real clean. Not too much bass but u can pump it if u want, (rattles pretty bad from the outside) i recommend dyno for that.
And I asked for black too but i would of had to wait another 2-3 months for it so i went with electric blue and i dont regret it one bit! Its such a sick color and stands out from any other car on the road! Black would look sick with tint all around and aftermarekt rims.
Hope this helps!
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:47 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why don't you want the "sun" portion of the sun and sound package? I never wanted a sunroof. Then I had a car with one. Now I miss having it.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 11:24 AM

2009 Lancers are for sale now. I have an o8 and NO PROBLEMS whatsoever. it is such a great bang for your buck
Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

The M/T is great. Ive got a M/T ES and it drives very well so far. I would recommend it.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Kurt
Why don't you want the "sun" portion of the sun and sound package? I never wanted a sunroof. Then I had a car with one. Now I miss having it.
Well, I had a 98 Audi A4 w/ a sunroof. Liked it but my dad is helping me out with this car and is going to purchase it as an early college graduation gift. He wants to spend 14K..And just to sum this up.. he is REALLY pushing a Focus..I DON'T WANT A FOCUS! So I have to find a vehicle comparable in price (which with incentives and my car) it is around the same price.

So 19450 for GTS M/T w/ S&S. $1000 Cash back...18450, +hopefully 4K for mine..which is 14450. I was thinking if I could get the roof off there it would save me alittle money plus it would strengthen the car a tiny bit...PLUS...

I have been looking at reviews on Edmunds.com. I see a few that say stuff about having either the glass or the internals (doesn't really specify) actually break under normal operating contion ie. Freeway is were his broke.

Thanks for all the responses. What is the lug pattern on the new lancers? (ie. 5x112?) Are there plain steelies that I could put aggressive snow tires on.

Originally Posted by Hawnz22
And I asked for black too but i would of had to wait another 2-3 months for it so i went with electric blue and i dont regret it one bit! Its such a sick color and stands out from any other car on the road! Black would look sick with tint all around and aftermarekt rims.
Hope this helps!
I saw 2 yestereday. One was a goldish color and the other was, I think it said, Aqua blue. Was a really light blue. I didn't like it when I first saw it, then I really caught my eye and actually got me thinking about that in a manual.

Last edited by Mastrcruse; Mar 27, 2008 at 01:14 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 04:28 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you don't want the sunroof, don't waste money on the stereo. Skip the S&S package and either:

A. Get the Nav package
B. Buy your own stereo upgrades, which will be better quality and cheaper.

Always remember that a package like S&S isn't there to give you great parts and be cheap. It's there to be JUUUUUUST enticing enough that you waste money on it. You could do a custom sunroof and stereo for way cheaper than the package costs. Honestly, same for the Nav package if you buy an aftermarket one of those...

-------------------------

5x114.3 is the bolt pattern, yeah - if you're getting a GTS, know that 16" wheels are the smallest you can go. The brakes are too big for 15". You can get any steelies as long as the bolt pattern, size and offset are right. (Stock offset is +48, so you don't have to look).

I actually got some junkyard wheels for my snowtires. Came off a mid-90s Chrysler Sebring, but they fit perfect.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
If you don't want the sunroof, don't waste money on the stereo. Skip the S&S package and either:

A. Get the Nav package
B. Buy your own stereo upgrades, which will be better quality and cheaper.

Always remember that a package like S&S isn't there to give you great parts and be cheap. It's there to be JUUUUUUST enticing enough that you waste money on it. You could do a custom sunroof and stereo for way cheaper than the package costs. Honestly, same for the Nav package if you buy an aftermarket one of those...

-------------------------

5x114.3 is the bolt pattern, yeah - if you're getting a GTS, know that 16" wheels are the smallest you can go. The brakes are too big for 15". You can get any steelies as long as the bolt pattern, size and offset are right. (Stock offset is +48, so you don't have to look).

I actually got some junkyard wheels for my snowtires. Came off a mid-90s Chrysler Sebring, but they fit perfect.
Great info, thanks. I am thinking I might just skip the S&S package, that will entice the dad some more not to go with the damn focus. I would just be worried of ending my warranty if I put the custom stuff in. I'm going to get a portable nav unit, probably a garmin, so I won't be needing that.

I really just want A/C haha. I had my e30 coverted to the new 132 (I believe thats what it is) from the powerful r-12 and now its non-existent.

I have some aftermarket wheels, I was going to use on the BMW that are et47...was going to use 20mm spacers to put them on the et20 RWD offset. I do still have an e30 that I put a 5-series motor in and am rebuild so that will be my "weekend" car. The lancer will be a DD...thats hopefully fun and peppy..won't be doing any mods but stereo (maybe) and tint.

Thanks again for all the tips/help. Please share more if you would like.

Anyone else hear about the sunroof problem?
Old Mar 27, 2008, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

as far as your warranty is concerned puttin a differnt audio set up in isnt goin to "end your warranty". well it will on just your cars stock audio stuff, but just go to a good shop and have them put in what you want and get a warranty from them, so if anything messes up in the future you can just take it to them instead of a mitsu dealer. and if your werent even talking about audio when you said "custom stuff" i feel dumb now. but even as far as performance upgrades they cant just end your warranty. it just all depends on what you have done. minor things like exhaust / intake arent going to affect anything. well at least it didnt for me.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 07:25 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sunroof problem is new to me. I've heard of one EvoM member who turned the car off as it was closing, causing the sunroof to get stuck until reset the ECU. But never heard of big problems with them.

We're always here to help. Just ask any other questions you have and we'll answer them.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

I highly recommend the lancer.
You were concerned about safety and the lancer is very safe. I don't recall hearing about accidents happening because the car had any issue just beware that if you get the gts the stock dunlop tires are more like summer tires even though they're rated as all seasons so you have to be more careful in snow or get winter tires. The lancer isn't the fastest car of the crowd (mostly because of being a little bit heavier than other cars) but that extra weight and the nice and a little bit heavier steering wheel makes it very stable in high speeds. I know that because when I compare the lancer with my father's mazda 3 (which is a little more agile in corners and lighter), in high speeds the lancer sticks to the ground and the mazda feels more unstable and gives you a sense of insecurity when going 80+.
Anyway, the lancer is a great package overall, I recomend getting the MT If you don't mind the extra work of a stick shift, just to make driving more fun, there's nothing wrong with the CVT.
You can wait for the 09 (idk when it's coming out) but you can get the 08 cheaper since the new version is coming out. Don't waste money on packages.
hope it helps!
Old Mar 29, 2008, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by MasterAK
I highly recommend the lancer.
You were concerned about safety and the lancer is very safe. I don't recall hearing about accidents happening because the car had any issue just beware that if you get the gts the stock dunlop tires are more like summer tires even though they're rated as all seasons so you have to be more careful in snow or get winter tires. The lancer isn't the fastest car of the crowd (mostly because of being a little bit heavier than other cars) but that extra weight and the nice and a little bit heavier steering wheel makes it very stable in high speeds. I know that because when I compare the lancer with my father's mazda 3 (which is a little more agile in corners and lighter), in high speeds the lancer sticks to the ground and the mazda feels more unstable and gives you a sense of insecurity when going 80+.
Anyway, the lancer is a great package overall, I recomend getting the MT If you don't mind the extra work of a stick shift, just to make driving more fun, there's nothing wrong with the CVT.
You can wait for the 09 (idk when it's coming out) but you can get the 08 cheaper since the new version is coming out. Don't waste money on packages.
hope it helps!
Thanks for the suggestions. I guess anything will be safer to what I have right now. I probably will wait for summer, to get more incentives, but have a feeling if I do that I will miss out on 08 black lancer gts's. I do like that aqua blue though for some odd reason. Ooo..and I will definately be getting the M/T...I get bored in auto's.

I love my car at the moment and I am a "driving experience" driver. I don't care about how big the sound system is, or how the car looks "mad tight yo", I like the feeling. I like to feel connected to the car. My BMW makes you feel like a part of the car (I know we are talking about 2 different demons here).

How does your (pertaining to anyone/everyone) Lancer respond to you? Do you feel how's its going to act on the road? Does it feel to easy or do you get the feeling like you are in control all the time? (minus the snow with the bad tires haha)
Old Mar 29, 2008, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

My lancer feels as if it is an extension of my body, we are 1 working in harmony to complete a common task, which is to get me places. If you don't care about going fast, then I don't know of any car better than the Lancer for it's price.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

I too like to feel as though my car is an extension of my body. However, after driving a classic British Roadster (1976 MGB) for the past 3 years, where the ONLY power assisted item I had was the brakes, there is only 1 "affordable" modern production car that would provide me with the same driving experience; Lotus Elise.

When comparing the driving experience my '08 Lancer to my 1976 MGB, it really is not a "fair" comparison. 1) the MGB is a sports car, 2) it's 32 years older, 3) it's a roadster (convertible), 4) it's rear drive, etc. Still, since I went from the MGB to the Lancer I can't help but compare. Everything in the Lancer feels "isolated" from the driver compared to the experience in the MGB.

However, when comparing the '08 Lancer to it's modern counter parts, it's a good "driving experience" car. There IS feed back in the steering to let you know what the front is doing. The suspension and seats are firm enough that you can feel what the road is doing. The suspension is soft enough that the car isn't "jittery" over rough pavement. The steering is direct and responds the way I like it to thanks to the rack & pinion steering. The engine has enough power to "get the job done" with enough in reserve to get you into trouble if you're not careful. To sum up the '08 Lancer, it IS a FUN car to drive, that has character (something a LOT of modern cars lack), and styling that is unique enough that you won't be confused for a Prius (new Civics all look like they took styling lessons from the Prius to me)...

Overall, the '08 Lancer is a great daily driver that has all of the conveniences of a modern commuter car, and it still retains just enough "driving excitement" to be entertaining if you want to go out for a weekend drive on some back roads in the mountains.

However, I have not pushed the car to it's true "limits" because I haven't had time to go to a track yet. However, it's sure footedness in the turns inspires confidence in the car's ability to handle what you throw at it. Unfortunately for me, I had a much more "connected" feeling in my previous car, so the isolated feeling ~I~ have holds me back from "lighting my hair on fire" while I'm driving the Lancer.