Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

For those with the HDD...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2008, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think for just imaging the drive to a larger drive so that you can put more space into the music partition wont be that bad. After I finish this semseter, I'm gonna start working on trying to do it. When I figure out an easy way of doing it i'll post a DIY. The rest of the stuff they are looking into is gonna get tricky. But as they keep working, it would be pretty kool to get more engine stats onto the display.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

putting it all onto a new drive could be tricky. even if you do a bit stream image to copy it over you would have to repartition the music part so it could hold more music. and this is assuming the cpu allows that. it could be locked down pretty tight as far as space limitations go.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Music server on has ~6 gigs???? Damn, I love how mitsubishi makes it seem like u have 30 gigs for just music....at least I thought so....bummer..

How many songs can 6 gigs hold??
Old Apr 9, 2008, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by elpoole
aint gonna work like that homies. You should have seen the procedure to get into this thing. It was un freckin real. Im went to VT for computer science. Im tellin you, the ***** were hackers with absolutely nothin to do. If I can find the thread Ill post it.

Oh oh uh hu here we go... http://www.mitsubishiforum.com/m_182503/tm.htm

let me know when you got it working, ok.
I wouldn't say we had nothing to do We're normal, tax paying, hard working people just like everyone else! hah

The link above gives details of what we went thru to discover the ATA Password -- "end users" can easily unlock their hard drive, and 'rcostin' has provided a writeup here: http://www.mitsubishiforum.com/m_208034/tm.htm

oh yeah, they also tell you that the file system is a QNX derivative in the first post. Good luck reading that with a Windows box. Linux can though...
The filesystem is compatible with FAT32 (a slight variation that adds journaling capabilities, i think, sorry don't remember off top of my head what exactly its called)... it CAN be read in windows, its just easier to unlock with Linux at the moment.

wow crazy stuff. i wasn't expecting the hard drive to be locked down so tightly. props to them
In all fairness, the hard drive was NOT locked very tight at all -- no encryption was even used and the password never changes between boots. They used simple ATA Lock features built in to most drives, which is really intended for laptops to help protect the drive from theft.

I think for just imaging the drive to a larger drive so that you can put more space into the music partition wont be that bad. After I finish this semseter, I'm gonna start working on trying to do it.
Please let me know if this works! I have yet to try a different drive in my MMCS. I don't see why it wouldn't work unless, as another poster suggested, the MMCS has hard-coded limits to the size of the drive or something. Remember to keep the original drive in a safe place.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

well, thanks for setting me straight Brian. It's all good information that'll benefit owners with Nav units the world over
Old Apr 10, 2008, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

that was very interesting, now im wondering if there is a way i can unlock it with my pc with vista and get in there. i was thinking it would be sweet to edit the images that come on the screen. like make your own start up image and change the buttons and pictures to cooler ones. customized navigations, sounds like a good way to make money.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

I got my 2.5" ext. HD reader today, so tonight I'll be playin around with it. First thing i'm gonna try is imaging it, even though everyone says its gonna be hard as hell. We'll never know unless we try After that, I might grab some csc buddies and try getting into the QNX stuff, I'v kinda brushed on QNX at work and I remember someone saying that it only interacts with WIN XP SP1. We'll see what happens.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 09:45 AM

The first thing you have to do is unlock the drive. After that, you can image it. If you follow the instructions on the other site posted by rcostin, its pretty easy to unlock. As for imaging it, in Linux a command like "dd if=/dev/hda of=./mmcs-image.img" does the trick perfectly. If Windows is more familiar to you, once the drive's unlocked, you can use any windows tool you want to image the drive. The drive won't get relocked until you put it back in the MMCS.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Ya, i was thinkin of just tryin to a vista route cuz i dont feel like installing linux...but now i have to wait for my friend to get some sw to get goin. Hopefully i can get the disk from him tommorow when we meet up. Then i can start fidling around. Not sure on what HD im gonna get yet though.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 03:20 PM

Here are some replacement options of HDD that we can use. These HDD can be use in high and low temp.

Toshiba:80GB: MK8050GAC/MK8050GACE
40GB: MK4050GAC/MK4050GACE

Fujitsu:60GB: MHW2060ACE
40GB: MHW2040ACE

Hitachi:50GB:HEJ425050F9AT00
40GB:HEJ425040F9AT00

Seagate:80GB: ST980818AM
80GB:ST980817AM

Last edited by mystick; Apr 17, 2008 at 10:48 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

do you know of any good places to buy one of the toshiba drives from? All I keep finding are product descriptions.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:49 AM

Here is one of the link for a site that have a lot of the drives. Take a look.
http://www.span.com/catalog/advanced...tion=1&x=0&y=0
Old Apr 6, 2010, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
So whats the verdict on this? Can you buy a larger laptop HD and swap it out and just "copy/paste"? I'm an average computer person, but I think I could do this if I tried and I'm not sure what I actually need to do...
Old Apr 6, 2010, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4G63
So whats the verdict on this? Can you buy a larger laptop HD and swap it out and just "copy/paste"? I'm an average computer person, but I think I could do this if I tried and I'm not sure what I actually need to do...
I don't have the navi so I only have a vague idea but you would need to at least make a binary image of the partitions in the old drive and burn that to the new drive rather than copy & paste.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 04:19 AM
Evolved Member

you can't simply copy and past it...classes kind of took over my life so i havnt had a real good chance to look into pushing files over to a larger hard drive. my classes end at the end of april so ill try to get back onto this topic after that. I would imagine its something similar to doing the xbox hd upgrade.

Quick Reply: For those with the HDD...