Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Canadians Buying '09 GTS In The US

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2008, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canadians Buying '09 GTS In The US

Is there any Canadians on this forum who has bought a Lancer GTS with "Sun & Sound" plus the Navigation system 30G HHD? We can't get that car equiped like that here in Montreal (salesmen don't even know that the Navigation system can be included as an accessoire, probably 'cause no one wants to add $4,000 to their invoice..., I know I don't).

Anyone? Suggestions? Thank you...

Old May 17, 2008, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

I would really be surprise, the option just isn't there and yeah 4k for a small screen and a map geez..
You can always get it aftermarket, but you need to change some wiring (don't remember what exactly) because if you don't you're not gotta get all the options of the navi (the time don't stay right for exemple).

I spend the 'extra money' on quality leather seats instead :P
Old May 17, 2008, 03:48 PM

Thanks for your reply, Deepside.

What about buying it the way I want it, but in the USA (Burlington)?

Last edited by Karen Carpenter; May 17, 2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old May 17, 2008, 04:24 PM

If I buy it in Burlington... Would I be able to get my car fixed (warranty) in a Montreal Mitsubishi Dealer?

Old May 17, 2008, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

call the local dealership and see what they say about servicing cars from other locations.

I think they should because what about the people that move? It'd be dumb to say "no warranty for you unless you go back to your old house! HA!"
Old May 17, 2008, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by stefan.bounket
call the local dealership and see what they say about servicing cars from other locations.

I think they should because what about the people that move? It'd be dumb to say "no warranty for you unless you go back to your old house! HA!"

Old May 17, 2008, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

Well I'm pretty sure you won't get the warranty from a dealer here.
I asked mine at repentigny and he clearly said to me he won't. So if you're really serious about this, be sure to be friendly with one of them and ask them if they will or not.
For a fully loaded lancer (manual) you save something like 5k.

But at that price, if you look for a fully loaded eclipse (manual) 6cyl you gonna save a lot compared to here. For 9k difference, even if your engine break in pieces one time, you still save money.. lol

Honestly for 5k I took it from here since you need to go there, have the cash in hand (most of the time you won't get a low rate like the one you get here 5.8%, it's gonna be more like 10-12% interest) and I heard most of them refuse to sell you, dunno if it's true. Also that you need to know someone living there or something I'm a bit confused about this.
Don't forget the taxes at the border. And the warranty problem thing. But if you look at the eclipse wish is a more expensive car for exemple well you save more.

So ask a lot of dealer to be sure at 100% they're gonna honor the warranty, then look what you really save.
Old May 18, 2008, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Deepside
Well I'm pretty sure you won't get the warranty from a dealer here.
I asked mine at repentigny and he clearly said to me he won't. So if you're really serious about this, be sure to be friendly with one of them and ask them if they will or not.
For a fully loaded lancer (manual) you save something like 5k.

But at that price, if you look for a fully loaded eclipse (manual) 6cyl you gonna save a lot compared to here. For 9k difference, even if your engine break in pieces one time, you still save money.. lol

Honestly for 5k I took it from here since you need to go there, have the cash in hand (most of the time you won't get a low rate like the one you get here 5.8%, it's gonna be more like 10-12% interest) and I heard most of them refuse to sell you, dunno if it's true. Also that you need to know someone living there or something I'm a bit confused about this.
Don't forget the taxes at the border. And the warranty problem thing. But if you look at the eclipse wish is a more expensive car for exemple well you save more.

So ask a lot of dealer to be sure at 100% they're gonna honor the warranty, then look what you really save.
Thanks for those infos.

..., but my main interest is not "saving" (though it seems that I would save a lot buying in the states...) My main interest is that I want that Navigation screen (30G HHD) and also, that I prefer sport tissue seats over leather seats.

Old May 18, 2008, 05:29 AM
Evolving Member

its not $4000, you can pick up the Nav for about $2000 including the dash kit and wire harness, but the question is will it have the maps for Canada? Plus from what I hear the majority of the Mitsu's in the US are Manufactured in the US while the Canadian Mitsu's are manufactured in Japan but thats a preference. But don't get me wrong I don't have anything against US automakers at all.
Old May 18, 2008, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by aj_pierce
its not $4000, you can pick up the Nav for about $2000 including the dash kit and wire harness, but the question is will it have the maps for Canada? Plus from what I hear the majority of the Mitsu's in the US are Manufactured in the US while the Canadian Mitsu's are manufactured in Japan but thats a preference. But don't get me wrong I don't have anything against US automakers at all.
If I buy in the US and, as you say, they are manufactered in the US, that would mean that I wouldn't have to pay th extra (6%, I think) at the border... I they were manufactured in Asia then I would have to pay that extra tax. I read that on the net yesterday. Maybe some here know what I'm talking about.

$2,000? Where did you see that? Good point about the maps. Would it recognize Canadian roads? Hmmm...

Old May 18, 2008, 06:12 AM
Evolving Member

I remember seeing on one site that they were selling the OEM NAv for $1600 plus the OEM dash kit for $400 so thats where I got my number from, Can't recall exactly where but I'll cruse around for it and get back to you, but if you look at Mitsubishiparts they have it for $2100. As for taxes over the border Everything I order that is Claimed to be Manufactured in the US and isn't classified as taxable has been taxed, and every time I dispute I lose, the government wants their money so I gave up.
Old May 18, 2008, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

Like I said in another thread, the Navi if you get the kit will be missing some stuff, I know for exemple that the date/time doesn't stay right, It's minor yeah but if something basic like that doesn't work until you change the wiring what else ? (Here I don't want to be the alarmist lol, just that you better be sure of what can be the problems.)
As for the map I think i'm remembering from another thread here that their might be an update from mitsu about canadians map. But you need to pay.
Old May 18, 2008, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

you'd have to pay border customs if you try to bring it back to canada. they charge you for anything you buy in the states and try to bring back... itsl ike an extra $50 if you wanna bring alcohol back lol.

My friend bought a used car from the states and still had to pay customs... If you don't know, the customs fees and such are to try and keep canadians from buying in the states so that local sellers aren't losing business to international ones. And with that being the case... the fact that my friend had to pay customs and such on a USED car.... for sure you'll have to on a brand new car.. make sure you look into that as well... see if you are actually saving money or not with all these fees and taxes
Old May 18, 2008, 10:06 AM

Thanks for all shared infos guys.

Old May 18, 2008, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Is there like a set % they make you pay at customs? Do you have to pay on the spot? Could they bill you?

Quick Reply: Canadians Buying '09 GTS In The US