Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

HIDs need projectors, no?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2008, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HIDs need projectors, no?

Hey guys

New the to forum, looking at getting a Lancer within the next month. Originally I had my heart set on a GTI. Still love the thing to death but financially I can't afford it at this time in my life (being a student and all). Anyways, did some research into the Lancer, one of the things that disappointed me was the lack of Xenon as an option. Hell, even the Mazda3's have them standard on the higher end models! Anyways, browsing the forums, I've seen a lot of people add HID kits to their cars. This makes me wonder...

Don't you need projector housings to run HID's "properly"? I'm assuming the stock housings are reflectors as it's a halogen type light setting. From what I gather, reflector type housings disperse the HID's blinding opposing traffic and possible the people in front of you whereas projector housings properly focus the beam of the light away from opposing drivers and onto the road.

Thoughts? Enlighten me?
Old May 30, 2008, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

doesnt matter really my HIDs are still bright as can be and who cares about the other people lol
they can just move out of my way!
Old May 31, 2008, 06:18 AM

You are bang on.
Sofla GTS obviously has a winning attitude...

You don't need projectors but it looks really ugly and ghetto without them.
Old May 31, 2008, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

All I care for are the brighter lights...the stock ones really suck goin thru backroads at night. Besides, half the time people leave their high beams on when passing me, so they can all go ***** themselves.

BTW...I am trying to get the dealer to disable the DRLs, I'm waiting for the tech to give me a call on monday.
Old May 31, 2008, 06:33 AM

i like the hid's with projectors better they just look nicer but if you go with out it the light goes every were and you might get pulled over because they might be to bright
Old Jun 1, 2008, 05:20 PM

wow, did all you kids just get your lancers when you hit 16?

grow up. so inconsiderate and the cause of accidents.

Thats why I am glad kits are illegal.

Yes, HIDs required designed projectors or an engineered reflector system designed for HIDs. If not you are blinding oncoming drivers.

Please remember the smart *** comments you guys made today the next time you hear about a kid getting run over at dusk because you could easily be the cause of your stupid ricer HID kit blinding someone driving torwards you.

This isnt an unrealistic situation, its part of the reason they made hid kits illegal.

look into retrofitting, learn more about it at www.hidplanet.com/forums
Old Jun 1, 2008, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

The stock lancer housings actually do a decent job of cutting off. Not as good as projectors but better than you may think.

A couple mitsu dealers in town install them here.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by the_cosworth
The stock lancer housings actually do a decent job of cutting off. Not as good as projectors but better than you may think.

A couple mitsu dealers in town install them here.
Don't we only have 2 mitsu dealerships here? Platinum and Hyatt?
Old Jun 1, 2008, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
babydubz, you are correct about the projectors, and just because a dealer installs something does not make it legal or safe. As much as I love my Lancer, if a GTI was what I wanted and I could not afford it, I'd get the Rabbit. The horsepower is pretty close to the GTI, and (people are gonna kill me for saying this) it has more options in it's base model than most upgraded Lancers have. Getting back to why I brought this up, I'm pretty sure that if you got a new Rabbit, the GTI's projector housings could be retrofitted to the Rabbit.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by stefan.bounket
Don't we only have 2 mitsu dealerships here? Platinum and Hyatt?
yup, Platinum does GT HID (www.gthid.ca)

I am sponsored by these guys and they did a phenomenal job.

with a capacitor the DRL was disabled and the cut off is pretty impressive.

Originally Posted by Lumpy
babydubz, you are correct about the projectors, and just because a dealer installs something does not make it legal or safe. As much as I love my Lancer, if a GTI was what I wanted and I could not afford it, I'd get the Rabbit. The horsepower is pretty close to the GTI, and (people are gonna kill me for saying this) it has more options in it's base model than most upgraded Lancers have. Getting back to why I brought this up, I'm pretty sure that if you got a new Rabbit, the GTI's projector housings could be retrofitted to the Rabbit.
The evo MR premium housings will fit on our cars but they are $1250.00 a side from the dealer. So I will be waiting for aftermarket replacements to come out.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
hahaha im having a discussion about this over on the Vortex. The Rabbit is a nice car, but I find it lacks options and the interior is very plain. I like the GTI because it's NOT a Rabbit. The 2.5L and slushbox (have to get an auto, don't ask why ) has NOTHING on the 2.0T and DSG found in the GTI. As for retrofitting the projectors, I've looked into it. It costs an arm and a leg.

Regarding the projector, I have come up with two options so far. One, wait for the Ralliart to come out and retrofit the projector housings from that. Two, custom make the projector (though I'd probably include angel eyes if I went this route) but by glancing at the pictures of the stock housings, i'd need a rather large projector lense to cover the current halogen bulb reflector.