Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

radar installation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2008, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
radar installation

does anyone have a police scanning radar in their car at all? if so, do you have the wire exposed or do you have it hidden some how? i used to have a 99 silverado and i just pulled back the dash a bit to hide and run the wire, but its a little more tricky with the lancer. just wondering if any of you have any ideas or have it set up creatively yet! thanks!
Old Jun 2, 2008, 05:55 PM

I have my detector mounted up near the rear view mirror. The wire goes up under the headliner, then under the top of the A pillar, then down under the rubber around the edge of the door. Once you get below where the fuse box is, there is a gap that allows you to bring the wire out without having to pull the rubber back. From there, I could hide everything up under the steering column and tap the necessary wires. If you want some pictures, let me know and I can snap a few for you!
Old Jun 2, 2008, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by scubastevegk
I have my detector mounted up near the rear view mirror. The wire goes up under the headliner, then under the top of the A pillar, then down under the rubber around the edge of the door. Once you get below where the fuse box is, there is a gap that allows you to bring the wire out without having to pull the rubber back. From there, I could hide everything up under the steering column and tap the necessary wires. If you want some pictures, let me know and I can snap a few for you!
that would be amazing if you could!! how long was your wire to plug it in? did you purchase a different one from radioshack or anything or was yours already long enough?
Old Jun 3, 2008, 06:42 AM

Mine's a Valentine One, so the power cable is just a phone cord - easy and cheap to get a long enough cable! I'll snap some pictures when I get home from work this afternoon and post them for you.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 06:56 AM

I have mine on the dash towards the window and just have the cable running straight down to the lighter since I don't use it. I'm too lazy to hardwire the detector to the fuse box or anything like that. I have a Whistler radar detector that normally would cost around $300, but got it on closeout clearance from Whister website for like $80. LOL

http://www.product-warehouse.com/67/WHIS-1793SE.jpg Here is a pic of what I have.

Last edited by Anarchy08; Jun 3, 2008 at 07:02 AM.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 01:55 AM

yeah, i dunno if i wanna tap the fuse box or not yet. if it sounds easy then maybe. main prob i have though is my radar has like a curly Q wire kinda like an old school wired phone cord and when stretched to the max it is only like 4-5 feet. hopefully they have some sort of extender out for the wire or replacement otherwise i guess i'll be looking at a new radar all together.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 10:06 AM

mine is coiled too. It is kinda easy to do it if you know what your doing, I just don't feel like cutting my wire to do it.

Here is a pic of what my setup looks like.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/PICT0375.jpg

Last edited by Anarchy08; Jun 4, 2008 at 10:13 AM.