Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

looking for some help 02-03

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2008, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking for some help 02-03

Hey everyone,

I''m sure you get a lot of similar questions but i have some specifics so maybe you can help...

I''m looking at two cars...
02 lancer oz with 69000 miles for $6250 (auto)
03 lancer oz with 70000 miles for $6500 (manual)

which tranny is better in these cars? reliable clutch? is the aftermarket (intakes and such) better with the manual?

anything (common problem-wise) i should know about these years? really just any info at all would be great, selling my 01 pathfinder as the mileage is killing me and this will be my everyday driver.

Thanks all

(hopefully this is the right place to post this)
Old Jun 15, 2008, 12:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the Manual. Period.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 08:31 AM

umm..sooo... anyone else have any info or suggestions then
Old Jun 15, 2008, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Well first off as an Auto Lancer owner what I have to say about the tranny is that it is strong and extremely reliable. I got in a wreck a few weeks ago and nearly punched the axle into the tranny and it still runs like a champ

And with the Manual as far as aftermarket goes, there's quite a bit you can modify/ juice up there. Do a little searching around this forum, look around the different sections and you'll find a lot of people modifying their trannys.

As far as which one to get, it's all about what you prefer to drive. Since the mileage and the price are almost Identical, it's all about personal preference.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by BrandonShaw
Well first off as an Auto Lancer owner what I have to say about the tranny is that it is strong and extremely reliable. I got in a wreck a few weeks ago and nearly punched the axle into the tranny and it still runs like a champ

And with the Manual as far as aftermarket goes, there's quite a bit you can modify/ juice up there. Do a little searching around this forum, look around the different sections and you'll find a lot of people modifying their trannys.

As far as which one to get, it's all about what you prefer to drive. Since the mileage and the price are almost Identical, it's all about personal preference.
appreciate it, thanks
Old Jun 15, 2008, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In these cars it basically depends one which you would rather drive. If you plan to mod the car at all get a manual.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Honestly dude, it matters on what state the car is in. do complete research on the cars, hell if you can know who the previous owners were i.e. age and whatnot it would help out a lot. The fact of the matter is, do not buy a car, and find yourself lunged into a headache, it's the LAST thing you want to do. I was younger and more foolish, and I find myself wishing I did that. I was so in love with the evo that I just bought the lancer when I saw it because it LOOKED like one. Don't do that. Reasearch it dude, and for goodness sake, unless you're going to do a turbo, the lancer really isn't that great for modding, lol. I love my car to death...but trust me.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jehuty
Honestly dude, it matters on what state the car is in. do complete research on the cars, hell if you can know who the previous owners were i.e. age and whatnot it would help out a lot. The fact of the matter is, do not buy a car, and find yourself lunged into a headache, it's the LAST thing you want to do. I was younger and more foolish, and I find myself wishing I did that. I was so in love with the evo that I just bought the lancer when I saw it because it LOOKED like one. Don't do that. Reasearch it dude, and for goodness sake, unless you're going to do a turbo, the lancer really isn't that great for modding, lol. I love my car to death...but trust me.
haha agreed.. i got the car when i was 17 and i figured.. lancer... lancer evolution.. IM HALF WAY THERE LOL but i got a big suprise.. the lancer doesnt respond well to bolt on mods and will never get the power an evo has unless u turbo it
so think wisely before you buy
Old Jun 15, 2008, 01:35 PM

sound info guys, thanks. I will focourse demand a carfax beforehand. one of them is a prvate seller and i planned on figuring out who the previous driver was. I'm not real interested in modding, maybe a bolt on here or there, but really am wanting fuel effiency. I'm selling my 01 pathfinder b/c 15 mpg just isnt cutting it. I had a modded car in high school (wont say which but its a pretty easy guess ) and am not really needing to go down that path. just want something that looks nice (though 17" rims would look a lot better IMO) and doesnt need to go terribly fast (kids in the back and all)

thanks again
Old Jul 20, 2008, 06:55 PM

ill sell you my turbo OZ with 87000 miles for $8000