Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Unusal case of overheating

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2008, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unusal case of overheating

OK, My car ran low on coolant (2003 Lancer ES). It started to get to the red line and I stopped the car before that occured. I took it to a maintenance facility. They said nothing was wrong and the system check outs fine. This was of course after they topped off the coolant. The problem is this, in town I can drive around for some time with no problems after a while it will start to over heat. Once I get on the highway or a road where I can go above 55, the engine starts to over heat. I turn off the AC and turn on the heater. This keeps the cars temp down.

Probelm: Above 55 with AC on car starts to over heat.
Solution to protect car from overheating:Turn off the AC and turn on the heater.

I measure the coolant level in the car with the floating ball measurements. 2 ***** for a protection of 218 degrees. Is this a good level. Should I flush the system or do you think it is the water pump? Where is the cylinder drain plug located?
Old Aug 5, 2008, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

it could be the fan controller... there is a recall for it on our cars... have you ever had that done??? check with your mitsu dealer.. its a free fix...
Old Aug 6, 2008, 12:39 AM
Evolved Member

its probably your thermostat, mine went bad also and needed to be changed. If you wanna save money for now just poke 2 holes into the thermostat and it'll let the water flow straight to your engine, but i wouldn't do it for long. I would let the car run while the radiator cap open while pouring water in and checking for leaks and bad hoses. Also try flushing your radiator out than topping it off with antifreeze.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:12 AM

Answer to all the postings.
I completed the recall. Did not resolve the issue.
I check for a thermostat. My car did not have one. STOCK
Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

im having a similar issue with my evo recently
Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

To the OP and others having this problem, how many miles do you have on the car? I'm thinking if a flush was done and the fan is ok, it could be the thermostat and/or the water pump.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lancerunderfire
Answer to all the postings.
I completed the recall. Did not resolve the issue.
I check for a thermostat. My car did not have one. STOCK
huh? I thought all cars had one?
Old Aug 6, 2008, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

^^ I'm pretty sure all cars do, and my thermostat was replaced at 60K miles I just looked at the paperwork from it...
Old Aug 6, 2008, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

lol i was about to go crazy.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 07:37 AM

I believe all of you. I know that the car was suppose to have thermostat. MY DID NOT. I was hopeing that would fix the problem, so that was the first item I check for. I had the par in hand and was ready to replace it, but when I remove the bolts holding the adapter and check for one it was not there. :-(. I talked to a automotive repair shop and I go the impression that this was no unusual. It seems otherwise, so I called a dealership service department and got the usual answer, just bring it in. They would not answer wether or not one was suppose to be there. I believe it to be a simple answer of yes or no.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Wait if you car did not have a thermostat when all stock lancers come with a thermostat that opens when your engine needs water to cool down the engine than you got ripped off someone must of did this to you some how some way, but hey as long as you get it fixed you won't need new parts like a headgasket when it overheats and you blow your motor

---Edit---

A thermostat is used in automobiles containing an internal combustion engine to regulate the flow of coolant.

Last edited by doctorjon; Aug 7, 2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 01:06 PM

No thermostat? Thats absurd... someone probably forgot to put it back in, dumbasses... in any event that shouldnt make your car over heat, all that it does it keep the water circulating so that the engine warms up faster... does it take a long time for your car to warm up? sounds like there would be something else thats wrong with it as well..
Old Aug 7, 2008, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

no it takes him less time to warm up cause its overheating
Old Aug 7, 2008, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Thermostat...
Old Aug 9, 2008, 02:44 PM

Thank you everyone. Looks like the factory failed. The thermostat was missing. I purchased one today and will be putting it in the car tomorrow. Hopefully this will resolve the issues I am having. I am also going to flush the coolant out and put new fluid in. Any recommendations?

Quick Reply: Unusal case of overheating