Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Megan Seats

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2008, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Megan Seats

I know this has been discussed before and I can't find where it is but can anyone give me a first hand review of the Megan Racing Seats?

I know there are a few people who strongly dislike and a few who really like them and I just wanted to figure out if they are worth it. Things like; How comfortable are they? Is the quality good enough for a daily driver? How easy is the installation?

Before anyone says why don't you just go and get some better seats like Recaro's or Sparco's, or seats that are certified or whatever, I don't have the money. To be honest, $650 and up is a bit much to pay for a seat that all I really do is commute to work in.

Any info is appreciated.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 01:44 PM

with my minimal experience I don't really like aftermarket seats. I haven't seen in a Lancer, but my friend put Sparco seats in his car. I don't know if he put them in wrong or if it is just the way the fit in... but I find that the seats are too low to the ground which makes it a little hard to see out of the car. Also I am about 5' 10 and sitting that low to the floor makes my knees sore after long drives in his car.

I think aftermarket seats look really great, but for just commuting to work, or normal daily driving I don't think they are really practical.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

honestly if u dont have the money to get sparco, recaros or etc dont get megan

somtimes being cheap is not the way 2 go, megan seats r not FIA approved, which means the seat is not safe

honestly if u want 2 get a seat get Sparco Speeds..... i think they cost roughly 300ish per seat and they r FIA approved

megans arnt FIA approved, so even though u r just going to work if u get into a accident then ur seat can snap, in worse case scenarios, but FIA approved seats have been tested for saftey

megans on the other hand r not tested for saftey

saftey isnt something u should cheap out on
Old Nov 13, 2008, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

Yea I have been doing some research and found some Corbeau's that aren't that expensive. I'm going to see what I can find out about them.

http://corbeau.com/products/reclining_seats/a4/

A link for those who are interested. The seats in cloth are only $320.00 ea.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
There is a reason why those seats are cheap. Do not be thrifty about a system that is designed to save your live in a crash.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MFO Jester
I know this has been discussed before and I can't find where it is but can anyone give me a first hand review of the Megan Racing Seats?

I know there are a few people who strongly dislike and a few who really like them and I just wanted to figure out if they are worth it. Things like; How comfortable are they? Is the quality good enough for a daily driver? How easy is the installation?

Before anyone says why don't you just go and get some better seats like Recaro's or Sparco's, or seats that are certified or whatever, I don't have the money. To be honest, $650 and up is a bit much to pay for a seat that all I really do is commute to work in.

Any info is appreciated.
You're not thinking far enough ahead. If you get slammed in a crash, crap seats will get you killed or at the very least, make you worse off than if you had OEM's or quality aftermarket seats. What you're paying for in an expensive seat is its ability to keep you alive and in one piece. If you're not able to spend good money on seats, don't spend the money at all. It's nice to find an affordable seat that's comfortable and hugs your ****...it's not so nice when that same seat compresses your spine in an accident.

Last edited by nj_08_gts; Nov 13, 2008 at 09:20 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

Yea I have been doing some research and found some Corbeau's that aren't that expensive. I'm going to see what I can find out about them.

before u buy them

MAKE SURE THEY ARE FIA APPROVED

i dont think corbeau is, but i could b wrong
Old Nov 13, 2008, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah i went to JDM ENGINE CORPS the other day and they had abunch of RECARO racing seats out 900 for both. I was amazed on the price. Real too. In my opinion if your car didn't come with racing seats you don't need them, but if you want looks Corbeau will do the trick. If you are looking to go fast i would buy ones that are safe.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

If you want to be held in your seat more, buy a CG-lock. I use it when I go to the track and it's fine.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 05:09 PM
Account Disabled

those seats arent bad at all..
Old Nov 14, 2008, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

Are they FIA approved though? Google came back with conflicting answers saying they were and they weren't.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

They should have that information on the Corbeau site.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

Are they FIA approved though? Google came back with conflicting answers saying they were and they weren't.
from a google search it seems like they USE to be FIA approved, the newer ones dont meet FIA standards

but dont quote me on that