Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

install ralliart lights?? please help

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2009 | 08:30 AM

install ralliart lights?? please help

hi i'm having trouble removing the outer tail lights(ones not on trunk) i'm having a hard time trying to pry them out...

anyone have any tips on how to??
i know to unscrew the 2 screws but then trying to pull out the lights is giving me trouple

thanks in advance
Old Apr 15, 2009 | 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

using a suction cup works wonders!
be carful not to crack off the very corners of your oem tails...i did that to one of mine before... i ended up ordering a whole new piece because it bothered me so much! lol
so yea, suction cup saves the day; takes the pressure away from the corner and gives you more control!
gl dude!
Old Apr 15, 2009 | 09:29 AM

suction cup..lol where'd u get those (edit.....i assume this one is ok http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...romSearch=true )

sounds like a great idea

b/c each time i'm trying to pry out..the highlighted area keeps on rubbing...and i'm afraid it might crack the headlight in that area...it's already rubbing and removing some paint

Last edited by Qwest905; Apr 15, 2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2009 | 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

NOOOOOO... put some cloth between metal and paint ALWAYS!!!!
Old Apr 26, 2009 | 04:38 PM

I just put the ralliart tail lights on today and man it was a *****. Not so much putting on the new lights as taking off the trunk interior, and getting the old lights off and reassembling the trunk.

There are a couple more things other and those 2 screws holding those lights on. Thats why you can't take them off by just taking out those screws. You must take off the left and right side trunk interior padding to see the fastener and wiring harness still holding it on. You must "pinch and push" the thin tooth like fastener through the hole. I had to "pinch and hammer" with an actual hammer before the light popped out.

My ralliart lights didn't come with those annoying fasteners so I had to take them off the stock lights and snap them on the new ones for proper installation. If you have any questions ask me soon while this horrible nightmare is still fresh in my mind. Also putting the trunk back together is a pain and I have no advice on that.
Old Apr 26, 2009 | 07:09 PM

ohh yea right u were able to do it that way...lol i tried to pinch and push..lol that was a NO GO

but i ended up doing it by prying them out with a screwdriver..took a bit and quite a bit of a prying out...
Old Apr 27, 2009 | 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

Ask the dealer if they have any extra, when they need to change bulbs they have to take those out so they might break them. I got two from the dealer when i asked.

Use a small utility knife and cut the two push pins that stick out of the clip and pull gently. It should come out easier now that the clip is cut and replace them with your new ones.

Make sure you push hard so the new rubber gasket creates a tight seal, and keep coming back after a few days and tighting the screws. I can see this area as being a potential problem with rust.
Old May 1, 2009 | 09:50 AM

where did you find the ralliart taillights?
Old May 3, 2009 | 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Poeticate
where did you find the ralliart taillights?
ebay. just type "lancer 2008 tail lights" in the search box. 08' and 09' are the same and run about $350. you can also get them at mitsubishiparts.net under the ralliart section for about the same price.