Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

post de-badging question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2009 | 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

I used the big craftsman heat gun, and goo gone . Used the heat gun to heat up and rub off alot of it and used the goo gone on the left overs...
Old Aug 2, 2009 | 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by darkmitsu
I used the big craftsman heat gun, and goo gone . Used the heat gun to heat up and rub off alot of it and used the goo gone on the left overs...
Can you still see where the letters where? I can pisses me off but imma buff it out. Did you have to buff it out?
Old Aug 2, 2009 | 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

Like I said, I just used rubbing compound on a rag and blended the two shades as best I can. Does it look perfect? No, but it looks alot better. Buffing should do the trick. Dont burn!!!
Old Aug 3, 2009 | 12:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by imalancerman
Like I said, I just used rubbing compound on a rag and blended the two shades as best I can. Does it look perfect? No, but it looks alot better. Buffing should do the trick. Dont burn!!!
Yeah that's what I did and you can BARELY see it UNTIL it gets dirty then it looks like **** cause the dirt makes it stand out... Blehh I need to buff it but I had to wait till my uncle is freee so I don't **** up the paint..

You can see it when you come down to SoCal to visit all the sclc guys. Ha
Old Aug 3, 2009 | 12:07 AM
Evolved Member

Haha, buy me some bike tires and ill be more than happy to buff that out for you lol. My bikes out of commission at the moment, my tires are 6 layer tires, 4 rubber and 2 aramid fiber. Lets just say Im now through one of the aramid fiber layers lol. No more riding for me yet.
Old Aug 3, 2009 | 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

That sucks isn't your car not running either?
Old Aug 3, 2009 | 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Im getting an engine for it tomorrow. I guess it runs, but it pings and knocks like no other right now. Ill have it done wednesday.
Old Aug 3, 2009 | 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

You putting another 4g94? Or doing another swap? I guess we should move this conv to pm's before a mod slaps us..

Pm me ha. On here or sclc
Old Aug 6, 2009 | 12:58 PM

ok so I got the turtle wax in the mail today and I have to say that I'm very impressed with the outcome. I was able to rub out the outline of the ES with a total of 1 small drop per rub (which was only 2) and only 1 small drop to remove the smudge where the carmax sticker used to be. Thank you guys for your help.

Old Aug 31, 2009 | 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by 02lancerguy
ok so I got the turtle wax in the mail today and I have to say that I'm very impressed with the outcome. I was able to rub out the outline of the ES with a total of 1 small drop per rub (which was only 2) and only 1 small drop to remove the smudge where the carmax sticker used to be. Thank you guys for your help.

i had some zymbol cleaner wax and it did the trick perfect.. im a bit too late to recomend the cleaner wax idea... but

what part of md are you in?
Old Sep 25, 2009 | 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by yukyucky
i had some zymbol cleaner wax and it did the trick perfect.. im a bit too late to recomend the cleaner wax idea... but

what part of md are you in?
Silver Spring.

you might be one of the few lancers in the SS area that I've seen driving around sometimes. Which part of SS do you live in?
Old Sep 25, 2009 | 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Glad to see everything worked out for you. And also glad to see you have local lancer owners there. Ive pretty much officially decided I am the only lancer enthusiast in the state of Oregon. And I mean base lancers, not ralliarts or evos.
Old Sep 25, 2009 | 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

I used goo gone to get rid of my glue. Dont listen to whatever people tell you about what it does to your paint, its BS. Then go to the auto store and buy a 2 dollar can of rubbing compound and put it on a cloth and rub it in where the letters are to blend it in with the older paint. Depending on the color of your car, it will work better than others. For instance, I have yellow, and they still show in the right light. However, my friends black jetta, you cant see them at all.

i pulled the badges off my 03 and the paint came with it. made it look real nasty.
so be carfull i ended up rebadging mine and 3m makes a very very nice decal/sticky **** remover.
Old Sep 26, 2009 | 04:12 AM
Evolved Member

Your not supposed to "pull" the badges off the car. Your supposed to use something to separate them from the glue like fishing line then use goo gone or something similar to remove the rest of the residue. If you actually read the post of mine that you highlighted a sentence in, the part you highlighted was in reference to goo gone, not to taking off your letters. Alot of people think that stuff like that will ruin your paint and its actually fine to use it. Sorry you ruined yours.
Old Sep 26, 2009 | 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

Your not supposed to "pull" the badges off the car. Your supposed to use something to separate them from the glue like fishing line then use goo gone or something similar to remove the rest of the residue. If you actually read the post of mine that you highlighted a sentence in, the part you highlighted was in reference to goo gone, not to taking off your letters. Alot of people think that stuff like that will ruin your paint and its actually fine to use it. Sorry you ruined yours.
oh my bad ill phrase that different since i thought you may know what i was talking about in layman's terms...
"pulling" was just the generic term i used instead or removed

i properly removed my badging. while removing the glue i noticed that the glue ad acted like an acid and pitted my paint.

whatever anyone does to remove badging take your time and be cautious

Quick Reply: post de-badging question