Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

post de-badging question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2009 | 09:35 AM

post de-badging question

the adhesive that kept the ES badge in place has hardened and I'm wondering if there is any way of getting it off? I got majority of stickiness off but what's left is the outline of the letters can anyone help?
Old Jul 28, 2009 | 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

I used goo gone to get rid of my glue. Dont listen to whatever people tell you about what it does to your paint, its BS. Then go to the auto store and buy a 2 dollar can of rubbing compound and put it on a cloth and rub it in where the letters are to blend it in with the older paint. Depending on the color of your car, it will work better than others. For instance, I have yellow, and they still show in the right light. However, my friends black jetta, you cant see them at all.
Old Jul 29, 2009 | 09:15 AM

any specific brand of rubbing compound? or does it not matter?
Old Jul 29, 2009 | 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

I dunno if it matters. I just used the turtle wax stuff they sell at the auto parts stores and it worked fine. Just make sure you rub it really hard. That wasnt me coming on to you, just a little advice.
Old Jul 29, 2009 | 04:24 PM

oye.

thanks anyways.
Old Aug 1, 2009 | 09:28 AM

o one more question

before using the T.Wax do you need to wet the area first before application or not?
Old Aug 1, 2009 | 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

I never did no. But it should have directions on it that will let you know if you should or not.
Old Aug 1, 2009 | 08:42 PM

yea ok. I was just curious because my dad said he used it before and said it can scrape the paint off so thats the reason I asked....not like me saying all that really mattered
Old Aug 1, 2009 | 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

well thats almost sorta kinda the point of it. It blends the paint that isnt sunfaded under where the letters used to be with all the paint around the letters that is sunfaded. Just used to kinda make a smooth transition. If your worried about rubbing compound, just try the polishing compound. Its less grit but wont do as much.

Edit: Let me add a little more info to this, it will not scrape off your paint, it just kinda blends into the clearcoat to make the two shades less distinguishable.

Last edited by imalancerman; Aug 1, 2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2009 | 02:39 AM
Evolving Member

I've run into this problem too... I haven't had time but I figure I'd get a light grit sand paper then buff it to get the letters from showing....

I'll let you know how that works out... Ha hopefully well.

Did you just take the ES badge off or the lancer letters to?

In my opinion they look real sexy with just the mitsu logo on the back!
Old Aug 2, 2009 | 03:00 AM
Evolved Member

I have the mitsu and oz logos still. X'nay on the sandpaper, that could possibly ruin your paint if you go through the clearcoat. Just try the rubbing or polishing compound especially if you have a buffer, would work fantastic with a buffer. I just used a cloth and rubbed it in, but if id had a buffer, I would have definitely used it. Be careful though as you can burn your paint. Its literally like two bucks at an auto store. Just saying. You socal people must never sleep lol.

Last edited by imalancerman; Aug 2, 2009 at 03:08 AM.
Old Aug 2, 2009 | 10:02 AM

just in case but how much do paint jobs cost?
Old Aug 2, 2009 | 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by imalancerman
I have the mitsu and oz logos still. X'nay on the sandpaper, that could possibly ruin your paint if you go through the clearcoat. Just try the rubbing or polishing compound especially if you have a buffer, would work fantastic with a buffer. I just used a cloth and rubbed it in, but if id had a buffer, I would have definitely used it. Be careful though as you can burn your paint. Its literally like two bucks at an auto store. Just saying. You socal people must never sleep lol.
Ha I sleep just not much. Haha, but yeah I'm still in norcal for a couple weeks so I might have my uncel do it for me ( buff it out ) mu grandpa said he's good at it and won't burn the paint... So well see if that gets done before I head back down to school and to pick up my turbo

Originally Posted by 02lancerguy
just in case but how much do paint jobs cost?
more than you want to pay my friend... More than you want to pay... A pint of my paint clear and reducer and everything else was 200 and I had my uncle spray it... It would prolly cost you at least 300$ don't mess it up. Also idk anyone said use a heat gun.. Carefully not to put it to close to your paint though and let it heat it up a bit then peal them off.
Old Aug 2, 2009 | 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Nope, use a fishing line. You just take the fishing line and slide it behind the letters and it will cut right through the glue. I actually used floss one time lol. Then you take the goo gone and get rid of the glue, then you take rubbing or polishing compound and rub it in with a rag to blend. Trust me guys, its not enough to ruin your paint unless you use a buffer and burn it. Just make sure you put on a coat of wax after your done.
Old Aug 2, 2009 | 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by imalancerman
Nope, use a fishing line. You just take the fishing line and slide it behind the letters and it will cut right through the glue. I actually used floss one time lol. Then you take the goo gone and get rid of the glue, then you take rubbing or polishing compound and rub it in with a rag to blend. Trust me guys, its not enough to ruin your paint unless you use a buffer and burn it. Just make sure you put on a coat of wax after your done.
yea I used fishing wire from one of my old fishing rods and it worked far easier than I had expected.

I also used dental floss when I took the carmax sticker off :but I used a Spatula to get the rest off

300 bucks!? well looks like I'll have to be careful when I use the wax.

Quick Reply: post de-badging question