Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

annoyoing aux in noise

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2010, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
annoyoing aux in noise

my car came equipped with aux input
the problem is the quality is realy bad that FM transmitter sounds better!

there is a tiny whistle sound that changes with the engine and if I use a ground loop isolator I get a a digital noise exactly like the one you get when u switch on aux without having an audio source connected

anyone else having this porblem? anyone found a solution? I think the cable between the audio system and the RCA aux input is the one picking up the noise, any suggestions?
Old Jan 22, 2010, 06:50 AM

Are you talking about the Red/White AUX Input under the front console behind the gear shift? If so I know exactly what you mean. I upgraded my stereo RCA cable to headphone jack cable. That helped with 90% of the interference. After that, I noticed that if I had anything charging next to the device it would create some noise/interference too. Good luck.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 08:24 AM

Get the same noise with mine, it;s kind of like a whizzing noise. Every time the car shifts it changes tone. Pretty annoying.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
old old news.

heres what you do 1) turn your ipod mp3 player on and playing music BEFORE switching to AUX mode

2) buy a ground loop isolator from radioshack for 14.99 or so.

3) come back and let me know if this helped... (it certainly solved 75% of my problems)
Old Jan 27, 2010, 06:06 AM

Thanks for the help man. Ill let you know.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:06 AM

It's all about the cable quality and the insulation of the cable used to connect the device to the car AUX port.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

Yup, mine did this while charging the mp3 player while trying to listen to music. Also bought a monster iPod cable which pretty much zeroed out any other noticeable interference. Never heard about the ground loop isolator thing though. I know monster cables can be pricey, but I got mine on ebay almost for the price of the junk unshielded cable i was using before... and they do make quality products, their HDMI cables rock.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Ground loop isolator. I've had one since way back in the day of subs in the trunk Cures the problem immediately, even without the ground actually connected it cleans up the signal a ton. With the ground wire connected it eliminates any ground loop noise completely
Old Feb 10, 2010, 05:41 PM

the ground loop isolater just muffles the sound, the whizzing noise is less but the sound is horrible, the FM transmitter is better, I've tried several quality cables with no hope,

jeremy ton: what do u mean by upgrading RCA to headphone jack? you installed the optional ipod cable?
Old Feb 14, 2010, 07:25 PM

On my car, my AUX port is an RCA port for use with cable that will switch to Headphone Jack. Like this:

The first one I bought was a cheapo one, then I bought a higher quality one with gold tips and thicker insulation and that fixed the exact problem you are talking about. The noise interference that you are getting (whizzing) sounds like a badly insulated cable.

Also, as I said before though, whenever I have the charger plugged in at the same time as the bad cable it would be even worse. I use my blackberry for playing mp3's, and my MacBook for watching stuff on travels.

Good cable is all good now for me.

I hope that made sense.

Addition:

Also I noticed that if you turn down the head unit volume and turn up the device the interference is less noticeable.

Last edited by jeremy_ton; Feb 14, 2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had this problem just took the car into the dealership, apparently there is a TSB for it,they have to install a ground wire in the aux input.. covered under warranty