Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Question on cheap HID converstion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2010, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on cheap HID converstion

Hi all. I have an 09 GTS without the HID package. I'm in the market for new headlights, and I want the HID look (bluish tint if possible). I've read that the Sylvania Silverstars are pretty much the best for a quick replacement, but I really don't know much about how HIDs work.

I found a kit here: http://www.carhidkits.com/xenon-hid-...d-kit-192.html that seems too good to be true. I thought they were much more expensive than this.

Will this kit work in my Lancer? Is it decent quality? Would I need anything else to get them working? I know about the DRL issues.

Thanks for the help guys, and I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum...

Last edited by mcl5000; Jul 14, 2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:53 AM

Hey - decided to go with http://www.tophidkits.com/9006hidkits.html after reading some positive reviews. Now I have a couple other questions:

-Is there enough room to fit a standard ballast or do I need a slim ballast?
-Do I need a relay harness?
-Do I need cancellers?

Thanks!

Oh - about the temperature - am I correct that 6000k is pretty much just white, and 8000k is where you start to get blue? I want them to be slightly blue, but not obnoxiously blue. Is 8000k right for that?
Old Jul 14, 2010, 12:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I highly recommend XenonDepot HID's they have a 7 year track record, they have been visible on popular forms like clublexus and clubrsx for ever and you can read thru every experience if you had the time to read them all. I have them on my cars thru the years including my lancer.

I want to strongly advise you not to get a kit that isnt testing on the lancer. Some kits come with relays, some even come with anti flickers, but since every kit is different some digital some not, some 35w some 55w. there is so much variation that one of the most common questions I get on my blog is. I have a kit from XYZ website and its not working, what I am doing wrong?

In the beginning I would try to honestly help them out, but sometimes they just have a kit that doesnt like the lancer. Now I just tell people one thing. XenonDepot. its tested by myself, and a good chunk of my local car club and i have yet to even hear one blow a bulb, and thats already after 2 years of Canadian Weather.

So trust me on this one, XenonDepot. Your paying for quality kit.

To answer you question about color. Every manufacturer is different there is no real standard when it comes to color. some say its 8000k but to another brand its 6000k. If you want a hint of blue generally going with 6000 ish is good. if you want a fair amount of blue generally 8000k is where its at. I dont recommend going above that.

So long as you specify you are buying it from Evolutionm.net you will have Anti Flicker canbus fix units thrown in with the kit. XenonDepot extreme kits already come with a relay

Cheers
Old Jul 14, 2010, 01:17 PM

Thanks for the answer Evo. I checked out XenonDepot, and the kits do sound nice. Unfortunately, they're a bit out of my price range. I didn't even consider HID until I saw some kits for under $100, and that's the max I'm going to be able to spend on lights. I have a budget, and there are things I would rather spend that extra $100 on for the car.

I realize I'm not going to get a top notch kit, but I'm hoping I'll be able to get by with these for a little while.

That being said, I'm still a little confused on the harness and the cancellers. I'm guessing I'd need both. And are standard ballasts OK?
Old Jul 15, 2010, 03:31 AM
Evolved Member

I have 6k in my car, and you can see a hint of blue when your looking at the them. The harness is def recommended. If you wire your lights to the parking lights or run a dedicated line, you dont need the canceler, you only need it if you will be using the stock wire hareness to trigger the ballast. Not sure what the difference between slim and standard ballasts is...i have no clue what mine are lol
Old Jul 15, 2010, 03:44 AM

Thanks Kal!
Old Jul 15, 2010, 09:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mcl5000
Thanks for the answer Evo. I checked out XenonDepot, and the kits do sound nice. Unfortunately, they're a bit out of my price range. I didn't even consider HID until I saw some kits for under $100, and that's the max I'm going to be able to spend on lights. I have a budget, and there are things I would rather spend that extra $100 on for the car.

I realize I'm not going to get a top notch kit, but I'm hoping I'll be able to get by with these for a little while.

That being said, I'm still a little confused on the harness and the cancellers. I'm guessing I'd need both. And are standard ballasts OK?
I can understand the budget thing, but I will completely be honest with you, everyone who spends a little bit of money on something, like HIDs, generally has to spend more time and more money on it to resolve any potential issues that come up. I am not saying XenonDepot is the only HID company out there with good kits. But... Its been tested to work.

What ever kit you decide you have to make sure you have an Anti Flicker and a Relay, both work together to stabilize the power going thru your kit. If not you will shorten the life span considerably. People cheap out in many areas, but when it comes to this, Dont do it.

The last point I make to people is. Sometimes kits have a good warranty, maybe they do, some even claim to have a life time warranty. But at the end of the day I rather have the highest quality kit / bulbs out there cause if that bulb blows, and you replace it, your going to look like a noobie driving around with one bulb a different color than the other. If you buy a kit thats cheaper, find out if you can replace in pairs. Xenon Depot doesnt replace in pairs. But... I have yet to see or hear of one of our Mitsubishi guys in our club have a blow out yet.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by evo_soul
I can understand the budget thing, but I will completely be honest with you, everyone who spends a little bit of money on something, like HIDs, generally has to spend more time and more money on it to resolve any potential issues that come up. I am not saying XenonDepot is the only HID company out there with good kits. But... Its been tested to work.

What ever kit you decide you have to make sure you have an Anti Flicker and a Relay, both work together to stabilize the power going thru your kit. If not you will shorten the life span considerably. People cheap out in many areas, but when it comes to this, Dont do it.

The last point I make to people is. Sometimes kits have a good warranty, maybe they do, some even claim to have a life time warranty. But at the end of the day I rather have the highest quality kit / bulbs out there cause if that bulb blows, and you replace it, your going to look like a noobie driving around with one bulb a different color than the other. If you buy a kit thats cheaper, find out if you can replace in pairs. Xenon Depot doesnt replace in pairs. But... I have yet to see or hear of one of our Mitsubishi guys in our club have a blow out yet.
I agree with this. I'd rather go a bit out of my price range to get some HID's that are quality instead of having to worry about a bulb blowing. I know a kid who had one of his bulbs blow within months of having them in.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 05:33 AM

Thanks guys. Sounds like I should just hold off on the HIDs and put that money towards something else.

Last edited by mcl5000; Jul 16, 2010 at 05:37 AM.