Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Possibility of lens change on DEPO projectors?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possibility of lens change on DEPO projectors?

Hey all, I just bought the DEPO projectors for an 02 lancer. The cutoff is horrid as we all know, and I was thinking about investing in some acura lenses to replace the stock projector lenses. I was just curious if there was anyone else out there that had fit these in already or what the odds are that they'll fit? Or will I end up being the first to tackle this project? Thanks!!!!
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The acura lens are not what makes the cut off but the shield and reflector bowl . I have some 06 Txs lens if you want to try it but i recommend just taking that projector out and using a early model Tsx projector .
Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:40 AM
Evolved Member

That seems like an expensive project as you've already spent $200 for the headlights but it's up to you. I have them and though they aren't great, they don't bother me at all.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

I have HID's installed in mine and that little whoopdedoo in the middle that sticks up flashes into everyones eyes. I'm just tired of getting flashed. I was just wondering about the size variances in projector lenses or if they are pretty much the same. And the lenses that come with these are kinda foggy looking and it would be nice to get a set that is more clear. Not just for performance but for looks as well. I'm not a big fan of the foggy look. I can get a set of tsx lenses for about 45 shipped so money isnt really a big issue.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by imalancerman
I have HID's installed in mine and that little whoopdedoo in the middle that sticks up flashes into everyones eyes. I'm just tired of getting flashed. I was just wondering about the size variances in projector lenses or if they are pretty much the same. And the lenses that come with these are kinda foggy looking and it would be nice to get a set that is more clear. Not just for performance but for looks as well. I'm not a big fan of the foggy look. I can get a set of tsx lenses for about 45 shipped so money isnt really a big issue.
Now that you say this i have to disagree it would need a complete Txs , or for those headlights a S2k would be better , projector kit that will include the D2S ballasts , D2s bulb . Usually that ends up being about 400 . On my Cedias i ended up spending about 750 for the headlights and retrofit kit .

Changing the lens alone will do nothing at all .

If there to blinding check and make sure the H7 bulb is in there properly usually those bulbs can be tricky and if they are a little off it will completely mess the cutoff up .
Old Nov 17, 2010, 04:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got these same lights with the HIDs back in April and I love them but I know exactly what you mean about the cutoff it sucks compared to my buddies 05 tsx. I have been flashed quite a few times myself but I just flash them back lol. I have read of others discussing this exact same thing although no confirmations that I know of people following through and results. I am very interested in your results if you decided to go for it.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Hey all, I just bought the DEPO projectors for an 02 lancer. The cutoff is horrid as we all know, and I was thinking about investing in some acura lenses to replace the stock projector lenses. I was just curious if there was anyone else out there that had fit these in already or what the odds are that they'll fit? Or will I end up being the first to tackle this project? Thanks!!!!
The only thing that will effect the actual cutoff of the projector lense is the cutoff shield behind the actual projector. If you dont like the way the "cutoff" is projected, but the light output is well, then you can modify the cutoff sheild, instead of buying new projectors. I am unfarmilliar with these headlights, however i did have some projectors for my galant, i didnt like the cutoff design. There are tow types of cutoff patterns.

As you can see here in this picture LHD vehicles tent to come with ECE cutoff. This allows the left sides of the light to be projected in a straight line (when aligned correctly) and then it shoots up on the right side to illuminate road signs. Same thing with ECE RHD as well.

The DOT pattern is the one everyone likes. Its a pretty crisp "flat line" cutoff that is even on both sides "mostly" however its still slightly raised on the right hand side, but for the most part its pretty even when compared to the ECE cutoff patterns.

The cutoff sheilds cannot be adjusted from the outside of the headlight as they are fixed behind the projector. Heating up the headlights and opening them up is the only way to ether adjust the projector cutoff sheild or install new projectors and retrofit a custom application. I cut new projector shields for my galant projector headlights and made my cutoff a nice "flat" line that was even on both sides, and had great light output without spiking up to high and blinding others!

Just thought i would share this with you as making your own cutoff sheilds are extremly less, cost wise, than buying new projectors and making them fit your application. If you have good light output with the current projectors you have now, but dont like the cutoff pattern, you might want to research a bit about making your own cutoff plate instead of spending the money to retrofit costly projectors!

Last edited by Mitsu.kid.02; Nov 17, 2010 at 06:49 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mitsu.kid.02
The only thing that will effect the actual cutoff of the projector lense is the cutoff shield behind the actual projector. If you dont like the way the "cutoff" is projected, but the light output is well, then you can modify the cutoff sheild, instead of buying new projectors. I am unfarmilliar with these headlights, however i did have some projectors for my galant, i didnt like the cutoff design. There are tow types of cutoff patterns.

As you can see here in this picture LHD vehicles tent to come with ECE cutoff. This allows the left sides of the light to be projected in a straight line (when aligned correctly) and then it shoots up on the right side to illuminate road signs. Same thing with ECE RHD as well.

The DOT pattern is the one everyone likes. Its a pretty crisp "flat line" cutoff that is even on both sides "mostly" however its still slightly raised on the right hand side, but for the most part its pretty even when compared to the ECE cutoff patterns.

The cutoff sheilds cannot be adjusted from the outside of the headlight as they are fixed behind the projector. Heating up the headlights and opening them up is the only way to ether adjust the projector cutoff sheild or install new projectors and retrofit a custom application. I cut new projector shields for my galant projector headlights and made my cutoff a nice "flat" line that was even on both sides, and had great light output without spiking up to high and blinding others!

Just thought i would share this with you as making your own cutoff sheilds are extremly less, cost wise, than buying new projectors and making them fit your application. If you have good light output with the current projectors you have now, but dont like the cutoff pattern, you might want to research a bit about making your own cutoff plate instead of spending the money to retrofit costly projectors!
OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! Im having a super duh moment. So these lights are SUPPOSED to have that cutoff like so. I was kinda thinking that last night as I was headed into work, like since its only on this side, maybe its supposed to be like that. It lights up my side of the road really well because of the little "whoopdeedoos" that are in the cutoff. I just wasn't sure about it because just about every vehicle I've been in that had projectors had a flat cutoff. If its something thats supposed to be there purposefully, I'm not going to touch it. I will just invest in some brighter halogens for the high beams when people think my shizzle is too bright. Eventually people out here will learn but after a lowered beamer pulled off to the side of the road and then followed me 7 miles with his brights on, I thought I need to do something about this cutoff. I knew about lenses having shields but I figured the TSX's would come with a flat shield and would have the more clear look I am accustomed to. I'm not going to open the headlights for no reason. Thank you so much for your info. Really appreciate it!!!!!
Old Nov 17, 2010, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Np brotha, yeah the DOT pattern is very common in the "high end" more expensive vehicles that incluse H.I.D bulbs w/ the projectors, most lower end vehicles come with projectors with ECE cutoff and halogen bulbs instead of the more expensive H.I.D bulbs!
Old Nov 17, 2010, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Ya mine came with halogens for low and high and I went through all the trouble of mounting in these beautiful ballasts I bought through a hookup to use with my old 9007 bulbs and figured why not use them for the low beams. My old lights were completely effed in the A, fogged up and cracked, which is why i even spent the money on these. I've had pretty good luck with DEPO and on the bright side, they don't leak so far!!!!
Old Nov 17, 2010, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Well thats good! if you ever decide to retrofit or change the cutoff plate LMK, i have done it many times before haha
Old Nov 17, 2010, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mitsu.kid.02
Np brotha, yeah the DOT pattern is very common in the "high end" more expensive vehicles that incluse H.I.D bulbs w/ the projectors, most lower end vehicles come with projectors with ECE cutoff and halogen bulbs instead of the more expensive H.I.D bulbs!
Nice description Mistu very informative . I just thought mine were screwed up I had the same notion as Lancerman. Good to know!!!
Old Nov 17, 2010, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03lances
Nice description Mistu very informative . I just thought mine were screwed up I had the same notion as Lancerman. Good to know!!!
Yeah it does throw alot of people off! and then when they try to adjust the headlights only to find they cant adjust that part, people get fustrated thinking there headlights are messed up lol i know i did, but all is good!