Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Moding a CVT

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2010, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moding a CVT

I've got a 2010 Lancer SE and love it. My only regret is buying CVT instead of manual. I'm new to moding and lets just say I'm not overly car savy. I already know exhausts on automatics is kinda dumb and sounds like ****. I was thinking of getting a short ram and I was wondering what sorts of things I can do to improve the performance.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 07:01 PM

Since the 08+ Lancers are still pretty new I'm not sure what they have available for after-market parts but start with the basic bolt-on for now CAI(cold air intake), header, catback/custom exhaust, light weight pulleys, weight reduction etc...those are what you want for performance just to get a little more pep out of your car.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Intakes are noise makers and won't make much power for you..what power they do add is borderline imperceptible. Save your money.

Since you're looking to mod the car, the first things you need to do are set a budget and some realistic performance goals - set those two things first and go from there.
The realistic goals part is pretty important - the Lancer is a cow wearing a cheetah pelt, so don't expect miracles.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by HorcH
I've got a 2010 Lancer SE and love it. My only regret is buying CVT instead of manual. I'm new to moding and lets just say I'm not overly car savy. I already know exhausts on automatics is kinda dumb and sounds like ****. I was thinking of getting a short ram and I was wondering what sorts of things I can do to improve the performance.
if ur lookin for speed, you bought the wrong car haha . u can add a little pep with some basic boltons (intake, exhaust, pulley), but if u wanna get some power out of ur engine, slap a turbo on it
Old Dec 17, 2010, 05:48 AM

i just begun modding my 2010 gts cvt, flame me all yo want but i just wanted my daily commute (also my most cherished car) to sound and feel more sporty. I mean in the end of the day, i still payed 20k+ for it so why not have some fun making it a little fast (at least i think its a little faster, psychological effects.)

Get a sri, get a injen sri intake for 200bucks on ebay. Looks sleek and sounds legit. Nothing too crazy. It sorta wakes the car up a little bit when it comes to acceleration. There was a post some where on the forum pointing out the effects of sri and cai. Sri = low rpm bla bla bla and cai = high speed bla bla. Since our cars wont reach light speeds and we wont be racing like the rich evo kids, i just stuck with the cheaper more reliable intake which was the SRI. your car doesnt sound like little girl screaming in a pillow anymore.

2nd, screw what the others say, if you have money, get a sprint booster. This thing will increase great pedal reaction decreasing any delays when stepping on the pedal. however, it is freaking pricey and after 2-3 weeks, it feels like it was never there because you get use to it.

Light weight aluminum crank pulley from rrm. its like 0.5lb, super light. how ever i've read some bad reviews on the forum saying it causes leakage. But im still running it and nothing seems to be leaking. No damage no leakage. I will have to check again soon. pulley+sprint booster+sri intake = a car that you can seriously enjoy. the acceleration wakes up, you start to feel the true powa of your car, and no more losing to crappy civics that beat you from 0-30 and turn left for asian food.

If you still got money left, keep reading.

get a rrm timing controller. This thing + all the things above = super team. they just work together to provide you a sportier ride, nicer acceleration speed etc. But purchasing this means you need to start using 89+ gas. which is stupid but i dont care. read the full description on RRM for better details.

oh man get a Greddy se or ti-c catback exhaust, this thing adds like 7-12 hp (and you can really feel it). It doesnt sound to rice. It's got a nice deep sound that doesnt catch too much attention from the nine ohhhh but still gain some jealous glares. Its got a silencer on it which you can remove to make it louder. But keep it on, cause its a lot more bearable in the cabin.

with speed comes control. Get some shocks. Sportsline shocks are pretty pricey however they got good reviews and thats why i went with them and lowered my car. I cant say lowering my car gave me better control, definitely not worst. but i can feel the ground more and my car looks sexier, closing the gap between the wheel and just giving me a better center of gravity. Turns are smoother as well.

Get some brake pads for better breaking. Dont get a full brake kit, not worth it.

other then that, start modding your exterior or interior, make it look fierce. However, for gods sake, dont make your car look like a evo. People who do that, in my opinion are just people with very low esteem. Enjoy what you have.

Btw this is my first time writing a review, a lot of my studies came from other nice people from this forum that helped me through my few mods. Im still a big *** noob but this is my few tips and it has brought me quite a joyful ride. So just have fun.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Koa257

2nd, screw what the others say, if you have money, get a sprint booster. This thing will increase great pedal reaction decreasing any delays when stepping on the pedal. however, it is freaking pricey and after 2-3 weeks, it feels like it was never there because you get use to it.

in your own review you proven why its a waste to get it. you are paying $300 for a feeling. if you want to feel this way just mash on the gas every time a light turns green..

get a rrm timing controller. This thing + all the things above = super team. they just work together to provide you a sportier ride, nicer acceleration speed etc. But purchasing this means you need to start using 89+ gas. which is stupid but i dont care. read the full description on RRM for better details.

I like RRM but i wouldnt recommend their timing controller I would recommend a full out ECU tune. RPW has an email tune they only charge $70 for you just need a tactrix cable and a computer. they are also working on modifying the DBW (Drive by Wire, same signal the sprint booster modifies to make it feel like your going faster) maps which will have the same effect as the sprint booster and wont cost an arm and a leg.

with speed comes control. Get some shocks. Sportsline shocks are pretty pricey however they got good reviews and thats why i went with them and lowered my car. I cant say lowering my car gave me better control, definitely not worst. but i can feel the ground more and my car looks sexier, closing the gap between the wheel and just giving me a better center of gravity. Turns are smoother as well.
what you bought were springs that went over your shocks and struts you did not buy shocks.

also i prefer a smaller drop than the sportlines i went with the pro kit as our stock shocks arent meant to take much of a drop past 1.2"

other then that, start modding your exterior or interior, make it look fierce. However, for gods sake, dont make your car look like a evo. People who do that, in my opinion are just people with very low esteem. Enjoy what you have.

Btw this is my first time writing a review, a lot of my studies came from other nice people from this forum that helped me through my few mods. Im still a big *** noob but this is my few tips and it has brought me quite a joyful ride. So just have fun.

making your car look like an evo intentionally (full blown body kit, fake fender vents, fake hood vents) is retarded but buying a new hood even the oem evo hood isnt and neither is having wider fenders.

i got an oem evo x hood because it looks better , its MUCH lighter, and because i got it for $300 including shipping

some people may think my car looks like an evo but thats because they dont know what an evo is, clearly i dont have wide fenders, clearly i dont have fender vents, clearly there is no FMIC, i dont have front bumper "nose" holes ...etc

but in the end do what you want. im glad youve enjoyed your lancer its a great car for under 20k (sorry if anyone paid more).
Old Dec 17, 2010, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by lancer0220
in your own review you proven why its a waste to get it. you are paying $300 for a feeling. if you want to feel this way just mash on the gas every time a light turns green..

my point exactly. nothing i do can really turn my car into a beast unless i want to void warrenty

I like RRM but i wouldnt recommend their timing controller I would recommend a full out ECU tune. RPW has an email tune they only charge $70 for you just need a tactrix cable and a computer. they are also working on modifying the DBW (Drive by Wire, same signal the sprint booster modifies to make it feel like your going faster) maps which will have the same effect as the sprint booster and wont cost an arm and a leg.

voids warranty, wouldnt do it until you reached your warranty mileage

what you bought were springs that went over your shocks and struts you did not buy shocks.

also i prefer a smaller drop than the sportlines i went with the pro kit as our stock shocks arent meant to take much of a drop past 1.2"

yeah my bad springs.

making your car look like an evo intentionally (full blown body kit, fake fender vents, fake hood vents) is retarded but buying a new hood even the oem evo hood isnt and neither is having wider fenders.

i got an oem evo x hood because it looks better , its MUCH lighter, and because i got it for $300 including shipping

where did you get it? thats is it carbon fiber?

some people may think my car looks like an evo but thats because they dont know what an evo is, clearly i dont have wide fenders, clearly i dont have fender vents, clearly there is no FMIC, i dont have front bumper "nose" holes ...etc

but in the end do what you want. im glad youve enjoyed your lancer its a great car for under 20k (sorry if anyone paid more).
how did you pay under 20k? 2010 gts cvt sun and sound+navi under 20k....what....is it a 2nd hand car?

Last edited by Koa257; Dec 17, 2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

how did you pay under 20k? 2010 gts cvt sun and sound+navi under 20k....what....is it a 2nd hand car?

a tune does not void warranty , dealership can not tell if you have been flashed. i have flashed back to stock and got warranty work performed twice already.

I paid 18500 for gts cvt s&s without navigation , i did not want the stock navigation as the volume output is too low unless an ipod is used with it through the aux port.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by lancer0220
a tune does not void warranty , dealership can not tell if you have been flashed. i have flashed back to stock and got warranty work performed twice already.

I paid 18500 for gts cvt s&s without navigation , i did not want the stock navigation as the volume output is too low unless an ipod is used with it through the aux port.
18500....damn, i paid 22000 for my 2010. where did you buy yours? your dealership sounds chill, my stealership is pretty bad.

also, rpw dont seem to sell gts parts. i couldnt find it...

Last edited by Koa257; Dec 18, 2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

18500....damn, i paid 22000 for my 2010. where did you buy yours? your dealership sounds chill, my stealership is pretty bad.

also, rpw dont seem to sell gts parts. i couldnt find it...
my dealership closed they werent that chill, they were struggling hence why i got a good deal but i have heard of many other lancer owners getting better deals than me.

http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/index.php...emart&Itemid=1