Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Broken Key

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2011 | 02:19 PM

Broken Key

I searched around a bit, but haven't been able to find a solution to my problem, but if one exists just let me know and I will be on my way.

Basically I have been without my car for a month now, and I'm tired of being stuck on this base. I went out for my 21st birthday and had a lot of . Anyways, I ended up throwing my key down the street and apparently broke all of the internals out of it (lock/unlock/trunk and security key I assume). The teeth part of the key is fine and I can get into the car and all that jazz, but can't start it.

I've called a dealership and they said that I need to have the car towed to the dealership and fork over $150 + labor to get a new key made/programmed to my car. What I really want to know is if this is the ONLY way for me to get a new key made. I don't mind having to pay and all that, but it will be a pain in the *** to get a tow truck in here to get the car.

TL,DR- How do I get a new key made if I broke all the internals out of the one I currently have?
Old Feb 2, 2011 | 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

i have an extra key fob from my previous Gts i don't know if it will work for your car. Let's wait for other Evom members opinion first.
Old Feb 3, 2011 | 03:41 AM
Evolved Member

You will probably need the little aluminum tag with the numbers on it for them to make the key for you...but that is basically just for the metal part of the key from what i understand. you will need to bring the car to them anyways because they need to jack in and program the key to the car.

what happened to the spare key?
Old Feb 3, 2011 | 01:00 PM

@kalpakiotis - I bought the car used from a dealership and it only came with one key and not even the little metal tag too (I'll see if I can get one today for just in case in the future).

@Defcon5Es - Thanks, but I have an ES (if that matters) and I might just end up buying a spare fob or something from the dealership when I try and have it towed today.

I called the dealership I bought it from and they said that I would need to have it brought in to have the new key programmed to the car. Thanks for the suggestions and I'll post back whenever I get it fixed so others in the future can reference this post if it happens to them.
Old Feb 4, 2011 | 03:35 AM
Evolved Member

you should see if u can get mitsu to tow it for free..not sure what their policy is, but they will tow the car generally to the nearest dealership.
Old Feb 4, 2011 | 05:49 PM

My friend,who use to drink a lot,had the same exact problem with his 05 Ford F-150.

Because his key has that computer chip as well and he told me all you need to do is CALL A LOCK'S SMITH and let him know your vin number and he should be able to make you a new key (with the computer in it) but of course it will run you about a good $150 but you won't have to tow your car and pay some tow truck for something that is not necessary.
Old Feb 16, 2011 | 12:53 PM

same thing happened to me I ended up towing the car using my insurance... Paid $250 for the damn key. I was wondering if you buy the same 4 button remote key from ebay, i would be able to get it programmed by the dealer as a spare key. That would cost a lot less if it works. Has anyone tried using the key they bought from ebay?
Old Mar 16, 2011 | 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

No spare key?
Old Mar 17, 2011 | 09:55 PM

no... i bought my lancer used, and the original owner didnt hand in the spare...
Old Mar 21, 2011 | 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

then you are screwed...sorry
Old Mar 22, 2011 | 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by CamShaft
then you are screwed...sorry
haha yeah i was when i lost it 2 months ago I had to buy a new key for 280 bucks...

my question is if you buy a key online like ebay like such
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-U...ht_3025wt_1008

would i be able to program it at the dealer? and copy it?
Old Mar 22, 2011 | 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

I use to work for a Mitsubishi dealer and have made MANY keys while working there. Mits usually sells either a whole key or they offer just the shell (no guts) on the newer mits cars that have the fob/key as one unit. If your key works other then the guts, you will most like get stuck buying a complete key. But they should be able to trace the old key rather then have to pull the VIN code for the cuts (this might save some $). Also, the crappy part about Mits keys is they have to be programmed at the dealer with the Mits software. This is the bad part, I couldn't find a way around it and I own and Evo and worked there haha
Old Mar 22, 2011 | 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ub.chae
haha yeah i was when i lost it 2 months ago I had to buy a new key for 280 bucks...

my question is if you buy a key online like ebay like such
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-UNCUT-KEY-GALANT-REMOTE-REMOTE-FOB-CONTROL-KEYLESS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZYearQ3a2008Q7cMakeQ3aMitsu bishiQ7cModelQ3aLancerQQhashZitem35b0c99804QQitemZ 230599268356QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAc cessories#ht_3025wt_1008

would i be able to program it at the dealer? and copy it?
If I had to guess, I would assume they could get it to work. But, it can be hit and miss. I have seen aftermarket keys work, but have seen some that they couldn't get to program.
Old Mar 22, 2011 | 03:15 PM

wow thanks! and since you have the experience of working at the mitsu dealer, I have an aftermarket exhaust on my 08 lancer gts, and I have to go in the dealer to get my cruise control fixed. I dont use it often but it just bugs me the fact that it doesnt work... do you think the mechanic will void the warranty?
Old Mar 22, 2011 | 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ub.chae
wow thanks! and since you have the experience of working at the mitsu dealer, I have an aftermarket exhaust on my 08 lancer gts, and I have to go in the dealer to get my cruise control fixed. I dont use it often but it just bugs me the fact that it doesnt work... do you think the mechanic will void the warranty?
That comes down to who you know the dealer i worked for (which has now closed) was fairly mod friendly. But, once they flag you your warranty is gone. But, i wouldn't think that an exhaust would be reason for your cruise control to go out. I have heard some void warraties over aftermarket wheels. I think it mostly comes down to, would a reasonable person find that this mod would contribute to the part going out. It is the dealers discretion, but i think you would be fine but can't say for sure.

Quick Reply: Broken Key