Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Aftermarket Header Issues?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2011, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Header Issues?

Perhaps this is just good timing, but just two weeks after installing my header (in all honesty, a mechanic friend of mine did), the exhaust hanger near my catalytic coverter tore in half and created a HORRENDOUS vibration (only noticeable when in gear and stopped [like at a stoplight] - not while driving or in park) thanks to my axleback exhaust hitting up against my rear bumper because of the drop in piping with the broken hanger.

Thinking that maybe the friend that installed my header perhaps put too much "assembly tolerance" in the system while installing the header, I ordered a new hanger and threw it on as soon as I got it (which was almost a month, since I ordered it a day before the Japan earthquake/tsunami).

After I put on the new hanger, things were nice and quiet. For two weeks. Now it's starting to vibrate as if it's starting to tear/break again. Has anyone with aftermarket mods like mine had this issue? Perhaps the Japanese rubber just doesn't want to deal with the 105 degree Texas heat (I know the factory weather stripping certainly doesn't)?

Any light any of y'all can shed on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Keeping my stereo on 30 of 45 just to cover-up the rattle is getting ridiculous to the point of where I'm about to start stripping off exhaust parts to see where my problem is coming from, which I'd rather not do.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:52 AM

Well I've decided to say "screw it" after replacing the exhaust hanger by the cat 4 times now - each time it breaks within a month and I just "live with it." I've got a Tsudo headerback system chillin' at the house that I'm going to install when I get back into town from work next week - that should (keyword: should) fix all my issues, but naturally I ordered all-new exhaust hangers that I'll install when I do this headerback.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 12:48 PM

And now I've found that the problem is with RRM's header itself. It won't bolt to my Tsudo headerback. When I couldn't get it going, I took it to an exhaust shop - 2, in fact. They couldn't get it to mate-up either, so now I'll have to go back to my OEM header.

This isn't my first time having problems with RRM's equipment not playing well with others. I'm quite sure I'm done buying ANY thing from them.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:49 PM

So I got the OEM header back on, and got the Tsudo headerback w/CEL eliminator installed. I LOVE it. It's loud as hell (without the supplied "silencer" any way).

As for the RRM header I removed, it was easy to find why I sprung an exhaust leak. Check it out...

There's no point in me seeing if there's some sort of warranty considering how they'd just replace it, not give a refund, and I can't use it any way.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

I know im poking at a dead post, but good playing around. I have an 08 GTS which I didnt get a chance to mod up yet, but I wanna do a full exhaust system as one of the 1st things I do. I was looking at RRM for the header, glad to know that happened. I am going with the Injen SES exhaust system though.