Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Know your car, Know the owner, know yourself.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2011, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Know your car, Know the owner, know yourself.

The title says it all. The car I currently drive is a '05 Lancer (Base Model). Its mileage is on the 74,500 miles. The story of this car is rather tragic. On 6th of May 2011 I took possession of this car and drove it, unaware of the troubles that lay ahead. There was no Engine Oil, or Coolant. Dirty on the inside (still is, the kind of stubborn dirt), I cared little, for I had a car that was more respectable than my previous and first car: a '97 Hyundai Accent GS. Case in point when you get a car from a stealership, see if you can get its service/owner history (this maybe 99% impossible to do). This is where my simple suggestion comes in...

Some car brands (like Lambo, I think) sell a maintenance book of sorts. In it, it has the service history of the car during that year. Without them (or even one), it would devalue the car, mainly because you don't want just ANYONE (incl. yourself) work on your priceless Lambo under warranty.

In the US Armed Forces (and hopefully worldwide), PM (or Preventive Maintenance) is essential to any piece of equipment (take care of it and it will take care of you). Vehicles (wheeled or tracked, pulling or being pulled, flying or sailing) usually have a Logbook. This logbook has the miles/hours of operation, and anything the vehicle needs to be repaired, and small, yet important things.

And so I began to write on a notebook these things. If you're a responsible wrench turner, a master tuner, or an everyday guy, consider doing this. If I could go back to 5th may 11, I'd rather gotten a (pls don't flame me) '02 Impreza 2.5 RS Black w/ 5sp from a private owner with a THOROUGH service history than car x from the stealership with an unknown condition. I still need to change the timing belt, an Oil Change AND Tranny fluid (5SP).

And so I ask you plainly, what would YOU do?
Old Dec 9, 2011, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The dangers of buying used cars man even from a dealer you never know what the car has been through. Carfax tells squat too about actual condition of vehicles just who owned it when and if there ever was a reported accident. Sorry for the headache bro. It could always be worse though.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
I maintain my own vehicles, and i've had more problems with the Ralliart i bought from a mitsu dealer, than my ES which i bought cash from a local used car lot...