Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Stalling bad?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2012 | 08:18 PM

Stalling bad?

I am 16 and I'm driving my Manuel 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Oz Rally. I'm learning and perfecting stick-shift and I had a question. I have been driving my car for about a week and a half now and I only stalled about 10-15 times. Today I stalled out about 4-5 times in a row and found myself letting go of clutch to fast. Then I tried it again and learned to do it right......I was just wondering...is stalling bad? It was only light stalls, not jerking. I was just a little worried. I was told it is not bad at all, just a part of learning Manuel stick-shift.
Old Apr 10, 2012 | 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DennisPsarev
I am 16 and I'm driving my Manuel 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Oz Rally. I'm learning and perfecting stick-shift and I had a question. I have been driving my car for about a week and a half now and I only stalled about 10-15 times. Today I stalled out about 4-5 times in a row and found myself letting go of clutch to fast. Then I tried it again and learned to do it right......I was just wondering...is stalling bad? It was only light stalls, not jerking. I was just a little worried. I was told it is not bad at all, just a part of learning Manuel stick-shift.
haha i did same thing in a 90's saturn. last time i drove a mt was back in oct 08, didnt turn out so well lol. its a given that u will stall in a mt if ur learning to drive a stick. some people take longer than others learning but once u get the rytem down, stallin will go down.

letting go of the clutch too fast and u will stall. thats the same issue i had and only at lights but once i was in motion, shifting gears was easy. have u tried going up hill yet ?
Old Apr 10, 2012 | 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

try to avoid letting it stall and don't ride the clutch. both of those will put a lot of wear on your clutch and flywheel. Also, don't get in the habit of using the e-brake on hills. here is the trick, get to know your car. on a flat surface and complete stop, put the car in 1st gear. push your clutch in the entire way, now let it out really slowly until your hear the idle change. this will tell you where your clutch is starting to grab. now that you know where it starts to engage, this is where you will start to give the car some gas. if it starts to bog, give a little more gas, if you think it will stall, push the clutch back in ( try to avoid pressing clutch in on hills, you will coast fast.) trick on the hills, let the clutch out right before it is ready to engage, so now you know all you got to do is give some gas and slightly leave up on the clutch. i usually let up on the clutch a little when light is ready to turn green so i'm not stressing my leg. hope some of this helps you out man. this was the 1st stick i owned and learned in too.
Old Apr 11, 2012 | 06:04 AM

Yes I have picked it up very fast. I have not stalled that much at all. Yesterday was my first day driving with other cars and stop lights and stop signs and everything with my Manuel. I did awesome! Learned how to start off awesome when on a incline....I've been practicing for about a week and a half. I'm gettings much better everyday! I love stick-shift!
Old Apr 11, 2012 | 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

I got my mt OZ last year and I will never go back to auto
Old Apr 11, 2012 | 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

Haha I still stall mine every once and awhile. It seems to happen more now that I upgraded my clutch
Old Apr 17, 2012 | 05:38 AM

Yea lol Manuel stick-shift is so much more better! I had a question.. I stalled out again a few times at a stop sign. I started my car a few times and the third time that I had stalled. I started my car and this noise sounded. It was like a " CCKKKKRRRERRTT".. Sound. My brother said it was the starter. I agreed with him.
Old Apr 17, 2012 | 07:51 AM

My question is... That wasn't bad, right?