Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

intake filter install?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2013, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
intake filter install?

Heyy im new to the forum, I own a 2012 lancer gt. I was just curious to know how to install an aftermarket cone filter on the car if its possible? I don't want to spend the money on an actual intake so I bought a cheap k&n filter cone which I wanted to install. So my plan was to remove the stock filter and box unit that hold it in place but before I started I noticed that a sensor was connected to the box and I don't think I can install the cone filter without it? is this correct?
Old May 7, 2013, 03:44 PM
Hail to the Beard

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Unless you're going to MacGyver the **** out of your new Lancer (which I will never understand why anyone would do such a thing), you cannot install a cone filter without an intake tube that holds the MAF sensor.

Buy a legit SRI or CIA and save yourself the headache.
Old May 8, 2013, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well its my gfs car ... she doesnt want to spend the money on an intake its only a lancer so i thought id install just the filter to make it sound atleast a little less dinky. Most cars can install just the filter even with a maf sensor just sucks mitsubishi did that! o well thanks anyways!
Old May 8, 2013, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is this for your enjoyment or hers?

Looks like you need to PASS on this idea then Mikeyy87 UNLESS you feel like buying your gf the correct parts.
Old May 8, 2013, 03:02 PM
Hail to the Beard

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
The '12 GT is a nice car. Decent power and MPG. And install just the filter even with a MAF sensor? I'm not quite understanding you. You need a MAF sensor regardless of the filter install. In most instances, you just can't place a cone filter on the stock airbox without the inlet tube, or in your case (per your OP), remove the stock airbox and inlet tube, and just place the cone filter wherever you would like.

More importantly, I wouldn't start modding your GFs car until the warranty is up. Especially if you are going with DIY mods.