Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Need help/ suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2015 | 10:55 PM

Need help/ suggestions

I have 2002 lancer oz rally edition 2.0 sohc 16valve (4g96) motor and it has 203k+ miles on the motor. I was thinking of replacing the motor, getting it rebuilt, or keeping it that way it is. How much would it be to have the motor rebuilt/redurbished? And if i were suggested to replace the motor where is the best place to get one?
Old Oct 7, 2015 | 01:59 AM
Evolved Member

Well the first question is anything wrong with it at the moment? When was the last time you've had any major maintenance done to it? My suggestion would be get a shop to give you an estimate on how much it would be after an inspection to see what could be worked on. From there you can figure out whether or not it would be better worth it to rebuild it or to find a lower mileage engine in a yard (which btw would also have work that may need to be done down the line anyway).
Old Oct 7, 2015 | 11:29 AM

As far as the motor goes it runs about as good as any other motor maybe a little on the down side, but this is my first car (ive always wanted a lancer since day 1) and the motor has a 200k+ miles on it and i was thinking of getting a turbo on it mainly for that small power boost and the sound it makes, mainly for the bragging rights i guess. So i was thinking if i would get this refurbished or get a used motor with less miles before i start a project like that. And i know i would have to have the motor inspected and have i guess a level of condition that the motor is in quote to find out where i would want to start.
Old Oct 7, 2015 | 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

You'll want to tear down the motor anyway then if you're planning to go the turbo route. The internals need to be upgraded or else you'll pop an engine.
Old Oct 7, 2015 | 12:02 PM

Yeah i figured i would have to replace some things, ive seen the that the rods aren't soo good and itll be best to replace it with forged pistons and rods etc. but like i said ill still have to find out how good the motor is before i even try to drop anything in it.