Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Oil leak, spark plug tube seals, valve cover gasket

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2016, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil leak, spark plug tube seals, valve cover gasket

So I was losing tons of oil and didn't know where it was going. After doing some research (since I'm a youtube mechanic at best) I decided to pull out the spark plug "boots" and found they were covered in oil.

I was going to do the valve cover gasket anyways because it looked like some oil was leaking on the back side of the valve cover so I just bought a kit at NAPA with the gasket and the spark plug tube seals. But when I was watching videos trying to find people with a similar issue I found a video where a guy was replacing the O-rings at the bottom of the spark plug tubes on a honda accord. He said some cars have O-rings at the base of the tube and some just have sealant or something.

MY QUESTIONS ARE- Can anyone tell me if my car (2002 Lancer LS) has O-rings at the base of the tubes that may also need to be replaced or how the tubes are attached at the base?

ALSO- When I pulled off the valve cover I notice a good scratch about, say.. 1/8''x1/2" or so. So I looked at the valves and saw a corresponding scratch on the top of the exhaust valve rocker arm all the way on the driver's side. Totally ****ing guessing on the part name btw. It looked new but considering it is constantly bathed in oil who knows. ANYONE have any insight into what the issue there is or was???
P.S. my car also has a good TICK going on. kind of thinking those two things are related but i'm just guessing.

THANKS TO ANYONE WHO TAKES THE TIME TO HELP A FOOL OUT:thumbup :

Last edited by RyanD3; Mar 7, 2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 09:25 AM

I've done this recently. I'm not aware of any o-rings at the base of the tubes, I think they might be cast as part of the head? Make sure to pull the plugs/replace as needed. While the plugs are out use a shop rag wrapped around long stocket or screwdriver and use that to carefully clean out the tubes and threads as much as you can. Some solvent helps (brake or carb cleaner).

I also used the Napa kit, I forget what brand but it was imported from Japan and it seemed to be good quality. The original gasket and tube seals had turned to hard plastic after 118k miles.

Can't help you with your other issue though. You may want to make sure none of your rockers are loose, the only thing I can think of is one of them is loose and has excessive play causing it to hit the cam cover...but even that doesn't sound good. I would imagine if there were any contact in there it would make more than a ticking sound.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 02:37 PM

Cool Thanks for the input man. I actually just ordered plugs, wires and ignition coils off of rockauto last night. Should be here friday. When I do that maybe I'll pull the valve cover off again and see if I can't tell if the rocker arm is loose. Thanks again.