Notices
Lancer How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in in the Request sub-forum.

How to: Rewire stock RF sub for 2 ohms

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2012, 04:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How to: Rewire stock RF sub for 2 ohms

Tools:
10mm Socket and driver
Phillips head
Wire cutters/strippers
12 gauge speaker wire
wire connectors

1. Open your trunk and pull back the carpet from in front of the sub. Start undoing the 2 bolts that hold the sub box to the floor of the trunk. Then undo the top two bolts as well. Pull the top of the box out a bit and disconnect the stock connector.

2. Once you have the box out of the trunk undo all of the screws on the back of the box except for the ones that hold the mounting brackets for the floor of the trunk. Don't forget the one in the center that runs into the back of the sub.

3. Separate both halves of the box. But wait, you can't?!? You're going to have to reach in and clip the wires running through into the interior of the box. I clipped mine close to the back part of the box to give me as much excess wire as possible.

4. Now that you have both halves separated, the 4 wires are covered in foam, pull that off of the wires. You can use the existing wires or run new wires, I used the existing wires and connected them. Pull the grommet out of the back of the box, this is where you will be running the wires out of the box.

5. Take the - from one coil and run it to the + on the other coil. Now connect the remaining - and + to a length of 12 ga. speaker wire and run that through the hole that used to have the grommet in it.

6. Put the box back together, don't start with the screw in the middle, it makes everything line up wonky for some reason.

7. Cut your speaker wire to size and hook it up.

8. Enjoy saving $50-900 by utilizing the sub that came from the factory without blowing up your amp.

Last edited by d.stocks; Dec 6, 2018 at 06:11 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much of a difference did you notice with this mod?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:28 AM

I didn't really notice a big difference to be honest but there was a slight one. The biggest noticeable difference was the ability to hook it to my aftermarket amp without frying the amp.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:45 AM

Sorry im not very smart when it comes to this stuff can you better elaborate how i can use a external amp with this setup now?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:57 AM

The way that the stock RF sub is designed it only has a 1.1 ohm impedence. The majority of after market amps out there are not stable at 1 ohm and can result in the amp getting damaged. When you rewire it this way it results in the impedence being upped to 2.2 ohms which majority of aftermarket amps will be able to handle with no trouble.

If you have the RF system in your car you will end up having to rewire the entire system if you want to use an aftermarket amp. I redid mine and run all the speakers off a 5 channel that is mounted in the trunk now.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:34 AM

Okay so i if have a par of subs i want to run and a Amp i need to make it 2 ohm but how exactly do i sent remote and my RCA to my Amp?

I can run a power and ground no problem and tie-ing in for remote shouldn't be that hard but how i receive RCA signal im not understanding is there out on the back of the RF Navi?