Notices

Factory tweeters - disconnect?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2007, 11:18 AM
EJM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory tweeters - disconnect?

Greetings

I have a new deck on the way and have purchased 4 MB Quart 6.5 to replace the stock speakers in my 04 Lancer Ralliart. The car has tweeters in the front pillars. Should I replace these, wire them in or just forget they are there?

I am adding a SACD capable deck so the 4 main speakers will be running different chanels most of the time.

Rgds EJM
Old Sep 8, 2007, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

so let me get this right: you got new speakers but you didn't get components for the front to replace your factory ones? I also don't understand what you mean by "wire them in" what are you talking about?
Old Sep 8, 2007, 01:48 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
You should install components up front. It's not going to sound right having your highs coming from way down in the door.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 04:00 PM
EJM

Originally Posted by theblue
so let me get this right: you got new speakers but you didn't get components for the front to replace your factory ones? I also don't understand what you mean by "wire them in" what are you talking about?
1. I got a deal on the MB Quarts with my new deck. They have built in tweeters and as I am running 4.1 with this system it is probably a good thing. (All main speakers the same)

2. (Wire them in - the original speakers are in the pillars so I can forget they are there, wire them to my new deck as an addition to the other speakers or try and get components to match.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 04:02 PM
EJM

Thanks for your reply Otter.

You may be right as my experience hase always been home audio and home theater. I am going to try it for now and perhaps add a sub and amp if I can get something that interests me.

Rgds
EJM
Old Sep 12, 2007, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

leave the factory tweets wired in..you can atleast maintain a sound stage.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

no, it doesn't work like that... a cross-over makes or breaks a system and it's sound staging.

coaxial speakers (ones with tweeter in the middle) will always suck for sound staging but you'll still get a full range and decent quality if you like that MBquartz kind of sound (I hate it).

don't use the factory tweeter, just leave it in there. you're going to need to run new wires anyway since you're using an amp (I hope).

overall what you're trying to do will work, but let's just say it's not going to win any prizes.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would wire the tweeters in series to the door speakers. Given the doors are 8 ohms. Then your tweets and doors will be 4 ohms bridged. Should make your tweets come alive.
Also, you could always replace the tweeters. They should be pretty cheap. Or go the component way. I would try the tweeters in series first to see what they sound like.