Notices

Stereo Head Unit - Proprietary?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2009, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo Head Unit - Proprietary?

My daughter wishes to install a new stereo head unit in her 2004 Lancer Ralliart, which has the Sun and Sound option (big subwoofer in trunk and sunroof). I had heard something about possible proprietary components used by Mitsubishi in this system that may make installing an aftermarket head unit more problematical. Anything to this, or installing the unit little different that it would be with other cars?

She has a Pioneer DEH-P6500 unit in the dash now, which does not fit in the dash well, so perhaps the "aftermarket install" was already done by the previous owner. ??? The car does not have a CD changer, just the CD unit in the Pioneer.

Thanks.

- Phil
Old Jul 11, 2009, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well most radios that are a "single din" unit are a universal fit for the most part. Unless the previous owner failed to use the proper installation brackets (came off the factory radio) things won't work too well. If you take a look at the back of the radio, to pull it out pull off the three HVAC knobs and unscrew the two screws under the knobs. Then proceed to pull the unit off (grab the underside of the panel the best you can by sticking your finger into the gaps behind the HVAC control knobs and firmly pull outwards.

Depending on the mounting method used by the previous owner, the radio should be held in by 4 screws (two on each side of the radio). Upon removing the screws slowly pull the unit out of the dashboard and check the back.

The default aftermarket headunit installation kit for a ralliart with the sun&sound package will have a little adapter that plugs into the factory harness that looks likes like this. If it doesn't have this adapter I highly suggest buying one as it won't function properly.

Upon removing the headunit there will be two screws (sometimes one) holding the 2 mounting plates (assuming the unit was properly mounted) to the radio on either side, remove those and replace the head unit with the new one. Remember you will have to either remove the old wiring harness adapter from the previous head unit and strip/connect the proper wires to the new unit to adapt the new one to fit the factory mitsu radio harness. When this is all done reverse the un-install steps and have fun with the new head unit.

PM me if you have further questions but there's plenty of info in the following thread:
Link
Searching is your friend.

-Jason
Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey how come my radio volume is dead n wont work..power is still on but no sound...could it be my stock amp or what???? try to install a new head unit but same problem???? any idea????

turk