Notices

Installing a new system

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2010, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing a new system

Mods: Please move this thread if necessary

Members: If this has been already discussed, forgive me - please provide links if possible.

So I just bought a JL audio bass system including subwoofer, amp, sub box, and amp wiring kit. and was wondering if any of you have installed an aftermarket sound system in your RA? I do not have an aftermarket HU and like to keep the stock HU if possible given my car only has 1K miles on it. I do not have the rockford fosgate package. What exactly do I need to do to get all of this installed?

Thanks.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 11:51 PM
Evolved Member

It has been discussed, i'll try and find a link.

Bottom line though, for the BEST sound, GET A NEW HU. So much clearer sound. Otherwise you'll have to get a hi-lo converter which sucks. A lot.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I Just split my rear speaker wires and put them towards the subs with and a covertor and it works perfect
Old Feb 17, 2010, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

I mean, i'm sure it works. All comes down to how picky you are about your sound I suppose.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by mobman
Mods: Please move this thread if necessary

Members: If this has been already discussed, forgive me - please provide links if possible.

So I just bought a JL audio bass system including subwoofer, amp, sub box, and amp wiring kit. and was wondering if any of you have installed an aftermarket sound system in your RA? I do not have an aftermarket HU and like to keep the stock HU if possible given my car only has 1K miles on it. I do not have the rockford fosgate package. What exactly do I need to do to get all of this installed?

Thanks.
Okay, well all that is really needed is a line-out converter. Aftermarket head units have separate speaker and sub level outputs (typically), the line-out converter essentially adds that sort of functionality, but you won't have very good equalizing control over it (turn the bass up, it goes up on ALL channels, sorta bad for stock speakers due to poor frequency response).

I personally went all out with my system, new head unit, dual amps, new speakers, two subs. I could not be happier with it.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by danielsjessen
Okay, well all that is really needed is a line-out converter. Aftermarket head units have separate speaker and sub level outputs (typically), the line-out converter essentially adds that sort of functionality, but you won't have very good equalizing control over it (turn the bass up, it goes up on ALL channels, sorta bad for stock speakers due to poor frequency response).

I personally went all out with my system, new head unit, dual amps, new speakers, two subs. I could not be happier with it.

Hmmm understood....I just hate ditching my brand new stock HU if nothing is really wrong with it "dont fix it if it aint broke" type of deal going on. But Just curious how much did you dish out for the HU dash kit and was it hard to install? Also for those who cut out their speaker wires or got the converter, where did you hook up the amp remote wire? (the signal wire that turns the amp on/off).
Old Feb 18, 2010, 02:32 PM

Hmmm understood....I just hate ditching my brand new stock HU if nothing is really wrong with it "dont fix it if it aint broke" type of deal going on. But Just curious how much did you dish out for the HU dash kit and was it hard to install? Also for those who cut out their speaker wires or got the converter, where did you hook up the amp remote wire? (the signal wire that turns the amp on/off).
My head unit and dash kit cost me about a grand, the actual dash kit was about $34, and the head unit was rough $975 (Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT) The only thing I don't have right now is steering wheel control functionality. I didn't personally install mine, because I don't trust myself with tearing up my dash and what not, but if you want something like that professionally installed it can cost quite a bit.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i kept my stock hu and just added the loc-80 to convert the rear speaker outputs to the lower amp frequency required. tapped into the wiring behind the headunit coming off the harness for the 4 speaker wires (LR +/-, RR +/-). the sound was alright. way better than nothing at all, obviously, but i had to dial up the amp settings to get the sound i wanted without pushing the stock speakers too hard. remote wire i ran completely separate, used a fuse-tap in the fuse box on the radio power fuse and ran the wire back from there along with the main amp power wire.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
i kept my stock hu and just added the loc-80 to convert the rear speaker outputs to the lower amp frequency required. tapped into the wiring behind the headunit coming off the harness for the 4 speaker wires (LR +/-, RR +/-). the sound was alright. way better than nothing at all, obviously, but i had to dial up the amp settings to get the sound i wanted without pushing the stock speakers too hard. remote wire i ran completely separate, used a fuse-tap in the fuse box on the radio power fuse and ran the wire back from there along with the main amp power wire.
That's what I just bought, do u think I could tap the rear speaker wires at the trunk instead of the rear of the HU? I don't really want to dissassemble the dash if i don't have to I know noise maybe a problem. Also where do u get fuse taps at? Do u remember what fuse is the radio fuse?
Old Feb 19, 2010, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
That's what I just bought, do u think I could tap the rear speaker wires at the trunk instead of the rear of the HU? I don't really want to dissassemble the dash if i don't have to I know noise maybe a problem. Also where do u get fuse taps at? Do u remember what fuse is the radio fuse?
the problem is, they're not in the trunk, they're in the doors, so you'd have to pull up both sides of the rear floor trim and the b-pillars to get to the harnesses that the speakers run on and then splice into each side and run separate wires from each side back into the trunk and then hook them into the loc. i thought about doing it that way too, but it was way too much. i just tapped into the radio with the loc and ran a regular set of rca wires all the way back from behind the hu.

dont worry about taking apart the dash, its very simple. if you want, i'll do a step by step, but its definitely not a huge deal at all. just a few phillips head screws and some clips holding everything in.

for the fuse tap, i just went to auto zone. it looks like a little black box where you can plug in 2 fuses on top but it only has one set of fuse prongs coming out the other side. and its got a red wire running out of it to connect to the second circuit as the power supply.

as far as which fuse, if you pull the cover off, look for a picture of a music note on the back of it, and then match the position of that with the alignment location of all the fuses in the block and there you go.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
the problem is, they're not in the trunk, they're in the doors, so you'd have to pull up both sides of the rear floor trim and the b-pillars to get to the harnesses that the speakers run on and then splice into each side and run separate wires from each side back into the trunk and then hook them into the loc. i thought about doing it that way too, but it was way too much. i just tapped into the radio with the loc and ran a regular set of rca wires all the way back from behind the hu.

dont worry about taking apart the dash, its very simple. if you want, i'll do a step by step, but its definitely not a huge deal at all. just a few phillips head screws and some clips holding everything in.

for the fuse tap, i just went to auto zone. it looks like a little black box where you can plug in 2 fuses on top but it only has one set of fuse prongs coming out the other side. and its got a red wire running out of it to connect to the second circuit as the power supply.

as far as which fuse, if you pull the cover off, look for a picture of a music note on the back of it, and then match the position of that with the alignment location of all the fuses in the block and there you go.

A how to would be very very helpful

just do not forget to add some pics, I just do not want to mess up my brand new bebe
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have stock headunit with my kicker comp cvr 12s and zx750 amp wired it as stated above just split the door speaker wires no problems at all here. Sounds decent not the best but it's good. I just adjusted the settings a little.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 12:23 PM

Ok everybody I am actually getting ready to install this. Can someone provide any tips on how to route the power cable?

Did you drill the firewall or is there any convenient way into the cabin? What parts did you take off etc? Thank you!