Old Apr 20, 2007, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny fluid change

three words ladies and gentlemen.

mobil
one
synthetic.

after 4 hrs of making sure i knew what i was doing and taking intakes off and splashguards and using a jack and jackstands,
i changed my own tranny oil.
it was a pain, but i suck.

though the benefits were more amazing than i expected.
i feel like i just bought my car. the shifting is so smooth its like im playing a game.
seriously, if you are near the 30k mark. mobil one synthetic, 75w 90, i PROMISE you will not regret it.
it was 10 a quart at pep boys, just a heads up.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mobil 1 synthetic is a crapshoot. Some people have great results with it, others complain about notchy shifting and grinding gears after a few days, and end up changing the fluid again.

Hope it continues to work for you.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

I always hear about how M1S is really good, hmm..
Old Apr 20, 2007, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Their engine oil is great, but I've never personally had a good experience with their gear lube in a Mitsu tranny. It'd probably be wonderful for my truck's rear axle, but it's never going in my RA's tranny.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 11:39 PM

I see that the Mobil 1 gear oil is GL5 rated. You want to stay away from this as the GL5 contains sulfur additives for extreme pressure lubricant. The sulfur is quite hard on syncros reducing life by 40%. Might want to check with Mobil 1 to see if they use different additives that are safe for syncros. Syncros require a GL4 rated oil.

You may want to check out Royal Purple 75 90 GL4/GL5, it does not contain sulfur and is safe for syncros. Some people do not like the way it performs. I run it, but its not very smooth on those cold mornings, shifts good once warmed up though. As well Redline makes a 75 90 GL4 but I have not used it so I cannot comment.

Last edited by blkbute; Apr 20, 2007 at 11:41 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 11:41 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the info i'll try it when i change my tranny fluid
Old Apr 21, 2007, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blkbute
I see that the Mobil 1 gear oil is GL5 rated. You want to stay away from this as the GL5 contains sulfur additives for extreme pressure lubricant. The sulfur is quite hard on syncros reducing life by 40%. Might want to check with Mobil 1 to see if they use different additives that are safe for syncros. Syncros require a GL4 rated oil.

You may want to check out Royal Purple 75 90 GL4/GL5, it does not contain sulfur and is safe for syncros. Some people do not like the way it performs. I run it, but its not very smooth on those cold mornings, shifts good once warmed up though. As well Redline makes a 75 90 GL4 but I have not used it so I cannot comment.
so far things have been good, but its been less than 24 hrs.
but i was running on 45k with the stock fluid... so anything might have been better.
Old May 23, 2007, 02:08 AM
Evolving Member

another problem is Mobil one doesn't have a friction additive needed for shifting at redline or FF shifting. If you experience some grind or "lockout" when power shifting you may need to use an oil with the friction additive like redline MTL, MT-90 or syncromesh. I personally use MTL in my evo's and MT-90 in my subies.
L8
Old May 23, 2007, 02:15 AM

Use redline its good stuff. Be carefull that you use the proper fluid types GL 4 or the dealer will void your warrently if they test it if you bring your car in for transmission problems.
Old May 23, 2007, 04:21 AM
Evolved Member

Hey Bro, change that oil INMMEDIATELY, is not good for our tranny. My synchros fell victim to it, and now my tranny is broken, do it now while its new, even if you loose the money, better 20 bucks, than 900 on a new tranny.

Like the dude said, it lowers synchros life away, my 3rd and 4th gears wont engage, pretty much at all, due to bad synchros.

Use either Pensoil Synchromesh or the better Royal Purple, SynchroMax. I personally now use Synchro Max, and even with the damaged tranny the car shifts way better, it will even engage the bad gears here and then
Old May 24, 2007, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KreepaEvoX
Hey Bro, change that oil INMMEDIATELY, is not good for our tranny. My synchros fell victim to it, and now my tranny is broken, do it now while its new, even if you loose the money, better 20 bucks, than 900 on a new tranny.

Like the dude said, it lowers synchros life away, my 3rd and 4th gears wont engage, pretty much at all, due to bad synchros.

Use either Pensoil Synchromesh or the better Royal Purple, SynchroMax. I personally now use Synchro Max, and even with the damaged tranny the car shifts way better, it will even engage the bad gears here and then
holy ****,
are you for real?
i havent had any problems at all...
i drive it daily,
but now that you mention it,
my dad took it home from my grad party (obvious reasons)
said that 3rd gear was a little rough...
if you are 100% sure...
get back to me asap.
Old May 25, 2007, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Not to scare you or anything, but it starts by feeling 3rd a little rougher when you shift to it, then starts grinding a little, which it woill always do. I think my problem has to do more with the shift linkages inside the tranny more than synchros themselves, but it started by changing to Mobil 1 gear oil synthethic.

But my break down has to do more with the fact that my pressure plate lost its bearings and wasnt holding
Old May 26, 2007, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks like i'll stick with the Purple stuff or the GM Synchromesh...
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:43 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BoostN
another problem is Mobil one doesn't have a friction additive needed for shifting at redline or FF shifting. If you experience some grind or "lockout" when power shifting you may need to use an oil with the friction additive like redline MTL, MT-90 or syncromesh. I personally use MTL in my evo's and MT-90 in my subies.
L8
I belive this is my damn problem now I was previously using BG Synchroshift II and I absolutely loved it, shifted as smooth as butter, no grinding or notchiness. Then my clutch started slipping and I replaced it w/an ACT and since my mechanic never heard of nor could find the BG fluid he just dropped in some Mobil 1 which he said he uses on his 800whp WRX, so I said what the hell sure. Now I grind when redline shifting into 4th or downshifting into 4th & i can just hear the medal getting chewed. I tried to adjust my clutch pedal about 50 times, I'd get it to go away for a few days then it just returns. Going back to the BG.....so from my PERSONAL experience, Mobil 1 DOES suck for the Evo.