Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

Pre-fab lower front grille inserts

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2002, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B/C this stuff isnt mesh - its thicker and more durable, is prefitted & installs in minutes, comes powdercoated black, has plastic along the edges to make it appear seamlessly installed & keep from scratching the finish.
Old Dec 18, 2002, 12:32 PM

Like i said before, cause I would rather spend the money and have it done right, than have a $3 half *** job. that never seems to look quite right.
Old Dec 18, 2002, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

cuse thats gutter mesh i had it on my car and a rock cut clean thru it on the freeway it falls apart and looks like crap
Old Dec 18, 2002, 12:35 PM

How would this affect a CAI? Would I need some kind of a bypass installed, or just have to clean the filter a helluva lot more?
Old Dec 18, 2002, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

I dont think it would affect it at all, unless you live in an area where monsoons are common. You could get a bypass though, I suppose.
Old Jan 29, 2003, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

any word on the group buy for this stuff - - cause im in the market for it as soon as it comes available . .
Old Jan 31, 2003, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

yeah.

re-read the first page of posts. its not really a group buy, but a discounted buy through ebay. just win the lower center grill auction for $29, then when you email em, you can get the side inserts for another $29, and $12 shipping. total comes to $70. not bad if you ask me.

i personally wouldn't get the home depot stuff. it WILL fall apart, because its not meant for automotive use, and good luck getting all three sides even and straight.
Old Apr 6, 2003, 10:17 PM
Evolving Member

so has anybody ordered this stuff? . . im thinkin about picking it up soon, and wanted to see if anybody has any reviews on it . . ?
Old Apr 7, 2003, 07:06 PM

i would pick up the depo stuff: $3 get some anti rust spray paint (or airbrush it my self)$3 and get some door guards from pepboys$6 and for 12 bucks have it done in a few minutes!
Old Apr 7, 2003, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

hey just need to make one that replaces the black slats in the GRILL and make THAT a set (all 4 pieces (err 5?)) .. and then I'll buy.
Old Apr 29, 2003, 11:23 AM

OK... after months of thinking about this product and whether it was worth the cost, as I am sure the rest of you were doing, I decided to go ahead and purchuse a set.

Let me start off by saying that the Quality of the material used was good. I went with the Silver, Race style grill, to match my silver oz. Then I notice the zip ties and screws. So here is the low down. When I went to install, this is how they want you to do it. First of all these don't replace you factory grill/plastic mesh. They simply go over top of it. For the center they want you to use the zip tips to "strap" it to the stock grill. Not to bad but kinda suck. Then here is the real kicker.... for the side grill insterts, get this..... they want you to use screws to screw their grill to your stock one! Looks like crap! This does absolutly nothing to increase airflow into your engine compartment/CAI. And if that is not all bad enough they don't even fix perfectly.... there are places you can see the stock grill around their stuff.

I am currently trying to get this company to replace this god awful junk with a sheet of their mesh that I will cut my self and make the sh*t look right. So far no response. I am going to call them soon. If they don't I am ripping it all off and getting my money back.... cause this just doesn't look the way it should.
Old Apr 29, 2003, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

highestolive thanks for taking the step forward on this.
althought it did not come out the way you wanted you essentially saved a couple of people from the hassle.
to you
Old Apr 29, 2003, 01:41 PM

No problem, i will post some picts soon as well as keep you all posted on the progess on getting this problem resolved.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 12:42 PM

Well... it has been three days and I have yet to hear from grille-tech .com So here is what i am doing... I am sending this junk back and have already purchused its replacement. I went to the local speed shop and bought the exact same mesh. Cost is about the same but at least it will fit right (with out having to screw the stuff or zip tie to the factory grill). It might take more time to install but who the hell would want to screw something to there car. My advice it to stay away from Grille-Tech. Will post a picture or two when it is all said and done.