Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

Quick Car Show Question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2005, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
at all the shows i've been too, ppl just jack that 'tricity from whatever and leave their batt's hooked up. just show 'em ur strong hand...
Old Aug 25, 2005, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

ok, so I'm entering a car show this saturday and this battery wall unit you speak of. Do you plug the car's battery wires to the unit and then plug the unit in the outlet? Please tell me if I have this right. ALso any other quick tips I should know before going into my show?
Old Aug 26, 2005, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

ok, what you want to do is plug your converter into the outlet or cord that the show supplies you with, then what you do next depends on the show. Some shows make you disconnect the battery altogether. If they do that, then you want to connect the converter cables to the cables that would normally be connected to your battery. Most shows they don't make you completely disconnect, so if this is the case, then just hook the cables directly to the battery. So basically you're piggybacking, with the battery still hooked up to the car, and the converter connected to the battery at the same time. That way you can run all your electrical stuff and the battery won't drain since there's a 12v going in to the battery from the converter. I actually have an aftermarket battery terminal on my battery now that has several outputs and I have one of the outputs with a plug on it, and the other end of the plug is attached to my converter, so at the shows I don't have to do anything except plug it in and turn it on! Hope this helps!
Old Aug 26, 2005, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ozmaster
ok, so I'm entering a car show this saturday and this battery wall unit you speak of. Do you plug the car's battery wires to the unit and then plug the unit in the outlet? Please tell me if I have this right. ALso any other quick tips I should know before going into my show?
where's the show???
Old Aug 26, 2005, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea, I'm all set to go now.. I entered my car in Cleveland HIN at the IX Center. I'm doing roll in at 5pm there after I drive there from work. (im at work right now). The show starts Saturday the 27th at 5pm. I have my car all shined up nice too. I'm still not sure on the converter though.. I need a 110v AC ----> 12v DC converter, which I can't find. I have a battery charger, but it won't work for this because its a trickle charger. My mom is at home right now and supposed to go find and buy me one. Hopefully she pulls thru before I leave around 3pm.

Rules: 1/8 gas or less, completely disconnected battery.. (you have to connect the wires from the battery directly to the power AD-->DC converter's terminals.)

Last edited by wiretap; Aug 26, 2005 at 08:51 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

My converter is a Pyramid, I got it from ebay for like $65, even has an adjustable voltage so I can use it for other stuff if I want to. I posted a pic of it farther back in the thread. As far as the rules, I guess it depends where you go cuz I know guys who showed at HIN with electricity before and they didn't even check the battery. But then other people I've talked to said they do, so I guess it depends on where you are and who's checking things out. Either way, if you get a converter you'll be good to go. I was gonna go to HIN in cleveland, but my wife got mad at me for hitting too many shows this season so I had to skip one and that was it.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

Blacklancerr, I'm going to Formula D in Irwindale
Old Aug 26, 2005, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

Ozlancer1, thanks for the help. I understand how it works now. Now I was at walmart today and looking for a converter and there were like a bunch of different types of converters ranging from $34.99-99.99. I can't recall all the diff. types that were available. But my question is, is there a specific type of converter i should be looking for? features? a decent price?
Old Aug 26, 2005, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Aug 27, 2005, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Make sure that the converter you get is to convert 120v to 12v, and not the other way around. The wal-marts around here don't have the converter that I have, they have ones that use the car's battery to power household electronics like laptops, game systems, etc. You want one that actually has a plug and plugs into a household 120v outlet. Then it will have 2 connectors (pos and neg) that will connect to your battery to supply it with a consant source of 12-14v. I have a post earlier in this thread that shows the exact converter I have. I would recommend getting that, it works great. They sell them on ebay pretty cheap.
Old Aug 27, 2005, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
People like to look at Lancers at car shows?
Old Aug 27, 2005, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

I found a link for one on ebay. It's the exact model that I have. Has adjustable voltage, auto protection shutoff, cooling fan, all the goods.

Power Supply
Old Aug 27, 2005, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
People like to look at Lancers at car shows?
Actually, yes. I get a lot of crowds around my car and tons of compliments on it. In the show scene it's all about being unique and different and you just don't see that many non-evo lancers out there that are done well. People always think it's an evo or they don't know what kind of car it is altogether!