Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

Quick Car Show Question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2005, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Quick Car Show Question

I want to have my car in Hot Import Nights (cleveland, possibly chicago) and I was wondering how I would supply power to my car. I know they have power outlets all over the place. Would I need some kind of power inverter like AC120v--->DC12v? I have a battery charger here at my house that I can plug into a power outlet and it charges my car battery.. would that work?
Old Mar 17, 2005, 01:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whenever I attended shows they make you pay to use power, I know HIN does, or did anyway. But most of the guys that you park next to will let you connect with them and use theirs. Kinda cool. I never did it cause we were never allowed to turn music up loud so that defeated the purpose for me.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 03:34 AM
Evolved Member

According to the new HIN rules, atleast for Boston anyway, you need to have your car battery FULLY disconnected, and they check it, anyone found in violation of the rules is disqualified and asked to leave.

However, they do off wall electricity so you would need a converter box that converts from 120v to 12v.

We ended up hiring a DJ to bring with us to the show so we are gonna tap all his electricity haha.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info guys, I'll bring my battery charger thingy so I can hook up to AC power. I knew about that extra price to use electricity, but I think it is worth it because I wanted to show off my new system in my trunk. I probably wouldn't turn up the music loud, but just enough to get some attention if you were close by. I also have neons on the interior and my pocket pc which has GPS that I need power for. I'm most definetly having my car in the Cleveland HIN. Its only about 1.5 to 2hrs away. Chicago took me about 4 to 5 hours.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

you need GPS in a car show? Afraid ur gonna get lost?
Old Mar 17, 2005, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

lol yea. Its just for looks in the show. I really use it if I'm going somewhere where I'm not familiar with the streets. Gives me the ability to zoom out and see what streets are around me.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

I have a similar question and figured I'd put it here instead of starting a new thread. I just got a 12v power supply so I can power my car at shows. Does anyone know if I connect this thing to the battery, or if I connect it to the car's wiring? As stated above, I thought most car shows make you disconnect the battery fully. So if this is true then I would assume you connect the supply directly to the wiring. Anyone verify this for me, or know how they connect the supply to the car's wiring? Any help would be appreciated!!
Old Aug 12, 2005, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OZLancer1
I have a similar question and figured I'd put it here instead of starting a new thread. I just got a 12v power supply so I can power my car at shows. Does anyone know if I connect this thing to the battery, or if I connect it to the car's wiring? As stated above, I thought most car shows make you disconnect the battery fully. So if this is true then I would assume you connect the supply directly to the wiring. Anyone verify this for me, or know how they connect the supply to the car's wiring? Any help would be appreciated!!

Don't listen to them and dont disconnect your battery. Just connect it to your battery terminals and plug it in, thats what i do. Can you take a picture of the unit that you have? I am looking to buy an upgraded unit at the moment.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, that's what some other people told me, but I didn't know if I was gonna get yelled at at the show for having my battery still hooked up. I'm assuming that having it connected to the battery won't hurt anything. The power supply I got is a pyramid. A friend of mine had one he uses with his show car so I got the same one. It's voltage is adjustable from 6-15V, cooling fan, auto thermal shutoff, all the goods. Here is a pic. Thanks for the help bro.
Attached Thumbnails Quick Car Show Question-ps26kx.jpg  
Old Aug 12, 2005, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nicktutt420
OK, why do they make you disconnect your battery anyway?

safety
Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

sparks could cause the rice to catch on fire.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by datdjrobp
sparks could cause the rice to catch on fire.

wtf kind of comment is that?
Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

obviously one you didn't find funny.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by datdjrobp
obviously one you didn't find funny.

No sorry i didnt now what kind of comment was that.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

technically, any car that is indoors has to have at least one battery terminal disconnected and no more than a 1/4 tank of gas in order to pass fire safety codes or somthing like that. Obviously most shows don't follow that too strictly cuz I know plenty of people who don't fully disconnect their batteries or have 1/4 tanks of gas.

Quick Reply: Quick Car Show Question