Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

DEPO headlights fogging up

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2005, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DEPO headlights fogging up

sup all,

long time no-see. although i haven't been posting much, but i did my share of snooping around. just stayed abit dormant....

so how's everyone doing? i know there were posts made about headlight leaking and all that BS, and i know there was posts already made for DEPO headlights. and yadda yadda search-search-search, all u gotta do is just hot glue the areas that water may be leaking in. is Jun still selling taiwan import headlights?

i just picked up some DEPO black headlights....couldn't stand for waiting for them projectors....never gonna come out. figured i can buy aftermarket headlights to tamper with, should i ever decide to convert my lights into angel eyes....as a project.

anyways i installed these blackies on and they look great. looks more luxurious, like a higher quality car... i took the car out for a spin around the block to lub the engine abit, after some 3 months of winter hibernation storage....runs great, but the day is abit cold out there, dry but cold, about -5degrees Celcius, and i guess the headlights run hot. after 15min of drinving aroudn the block, i noticed that the inner corners of the lights (next to the turn signls) fogging up, no water contact or anything, just basic condensation. but this means i have an opening somewhere.

this sux cuz after i heard ppl saying that their depos are leaking i decided to seal the area up with hot glue just as a preemptive move and i'm still getting this fogging up. i'm concerned now that when it rains it'll leak in, and *** up expensive piaa's.

anywya able to fix this? i mean even haver re-sealing the edges i'm still fogging up. anyone let me know plz.

by the way, i'm an old-school member here....so dont tell me to search.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe where you put the lights bubls in, is one of the rings broke or missing? I think there are some black rings there.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:02 PM
Account Disabled

i have depos and no problems for about 8 months now... course i live in la... ROFL. woot
Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

Hmmm... I have had the BO Depo's for about 5 months and had do problems here in OK... The weather here is crazy (ie: 80 degrees last saturday, 40 degrees today) and I have not had trouble with mine. I didn't seal them either. The little spouts on the rear of the housing actually help prevet fogging... They give the heated air a place to go and the warm air carries the moisture with it. (just a litle bit of physics of nature there). See if unplugging one of the holes will help. Just my .02!!
Old Mar 17, 2005, 03:36 AM
Evolved Member

put orings on aall the bulb sockets, make sure those sockets are sealed. Run some silicone around the outside and thats the best you can do.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Depo CF taillights and I live in MI. We get really cold winters here. I have some condensation building up in my taillights right now. When it gets a little warmer out, it goes away. This summer I'm going to take them out and run some silicon around the edges or maybe get out the heat gun and make sure all the edges are glued down with no leaks. =/
Old Mar 17, 2005, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
ok, i have the depo headlights and i had the exact same problem. key word=had. i took them out and started poking around and i noticed that the wires going into the side-marker lights were kinda flimsy and what not and lo-and-behold, there are some little rubber stoppers inside the gray plastic piece that actually holds the bulbs, and one of them was damaged and coming out. that little bitty hole was all it took to fog me up. i replaced it and pushed the rest of the little rubber things in a little more also because they looked about ready to fall out and problem solved. if you know anything about chicago weather and humidity, then you know that any kind of hole would make it fog up reall quick. just double check those cause it saved me from burning anything up.

kyle
Old Mar 17, 2005, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

thanks guys, i'm going to check this weekend....i'm very convinced that one of the lightbulb holes aren't sealed properly, probably gonna add extra rubber 0-rings.

the funky thing is, the condensation was gone, saw it last night about 10pm, and this morning at 6:30 it was gone, atleast its not as bad as those other guys who's lights stay condensed for like days or even weeks. luckily they dried out on their own, so the problem must be a big gap.

my depo tails were swell, my chrome ones and the gm ones. i haven't water tested the gm ones but they look hot. so does the headlights.

thanks for all of your inputs.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

sorry to bring this back from the dead, but better in this thread than making a new one .

so i'm having the same problem...I pulled out my Left Cedia headlight and the thing was like a fish bowl. It was like about the amount of a glass of water that came out of my headlight, I swear! Burned out my low beam and one of the wedge bulbs. SUCKS! I was thinking of doing a water test. Yeh pour some water over it and see where it leaks. there's no electrical part on it right now, so it's safe. After that I'm gonna put some O-rings in all the holes. Siliconing would probably be overkill...we'll see with the water test first.

any other ideas?
Old Oct 29, 2005, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pick_a_Fro
sorry to bring this back from the dead, but better in this thread than making a new one .

so i'm having the same problem...I pulled out my Left Cedia headlight and the thing was like a fish bowl. It was like about the amount of a glass of water that came out of my headlight, I swear! Burned out my low beam and one of the wedge bulbs. SUCKS! I was thinking of doing a water test. Yeh pour some water over it and see where it leaks. there's no electrical part on it right now, so it's safe. After that I'm gonna put some O-rings in all the holes. Siliconing would probably be overkill...we'll see with the water test first.

any other ideas?
you have the cedia tho.. this post was about a DEPO.... but yeah.. try doing those stuff and it might work.. well prolly reseal the headlight assemply only if you do find leaks...