Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

Car Show Tips

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2005, 04:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do all the major and minor shows(From Hot IMport Night to local shows), and I can tell you that it needs to be VERY clean. Also, scratches in the paint and little dings are a NO GO.....you can't have stuff like that.

How you display your car plays a HUGE part in how you are looked at. I.E. leave your doors open, hood open, trunk open, sunroof if you have one, windows down, etc. Show them you are not trying to cover anything up.

Having "props" so to speak when you go to the car show is key also. I.E. I have a Ralliart Flag(yes, full size flag) and a Mitsubishi with 3 diamonds flag that I display at the show with me along with my show board.

Also, stock parts dont win car shows......get rid of them! Anyone can have stock parts, its about being unique that wins you the shows.

Last year I took home 7 trophies and this year I plan on many more.

Any questions AIM me.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Cleanliness is a must. But depending on what show you go to, you may have an average person judging, or you may have a professional NCCA judge looking at your car. Some of the smaller hometown shows around here are hosted by car clubs and they really don't have the money to pay NCCA judges to come out. Those type of shows are generally easier to prepare for since the judges aren't as critical. I'm not saying your car can be dirty at a smaller show, but the judges tend to look more at your standout mods and overall appearance. At larger shows with NCCA judges they pay attention to EVERYTHING! If you have a body kit that isn't molded on and you don't have the screws painted the same color as the kit you will lose points for little stuff like that. Presentation is almost as much of a factor as what is done to your car. If you have accent mirrors, strobes, neon, flags, props, etc. you will get more points as well (as long as you don't go too far and get corny) I've seen many cars with a ton more mods, lose to cars with fewer mods because the car with fewer mods had a cleaner car and a better presentation. You also want to make sure that you stay with your car when the judges come around so that you have the opportunity to point out subtle things as well as give them access to the interior, trunk, etc (if you havn't already opened them, which you should!) A lot of times they will ask you questions, so you need to be there. I spend an entire day (sometimes 2) before a show cleaning, detailing, and preparing. There's a lot to think about and you won't get it all at first. Once you go to a few you will learn what you need to do. It's a lot of work, but the payoff is well worth it if you do a good job.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OZLancer1
There's a lot to think about and you won't get it all at first. Once you go to a few you will learn what you need to do. It's a lot of work, but the payoff is well worth it if you do a good job.
Thats true! Sometimes they'll let u know what they would do different to your car and what they love about your car...like for example my drums were starting to rust a lil bit and he saw that so he told me about that, so before a show this year, im getting my drums, sanded down and powder coated a black color that has a lil bit of a gloss to it! Sometimes when trying to make it soooo clean, its such a *****!! Jus remember dont leave everything til the last minute like I did....you will regret it and curse like hell! It was all worth it though when I went home as winner of the "Best Mitsubishi" category...it was my 1st car show i was entering too! It was super fun, good learning experience and now this summer i'll have lots to goto! I probably wont enter every car show this year, i would like to jus goto some as a normal person, jus to go w/ friends and kick it, but the major ones i will be there KICKIN SOME A$$!!

Attached Thumbnails Car Show Tips-dsc00452.jpg  
Old Mar 30, 2005, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

congrats go_lancer! I also won a best mitsubishi category at a local show here in PA! I beat out some widebody eclipses and some nice cars all because mine was cleaner, different, and a better presentation. That was when the lancers first came out and I have all my badges and emblems shaved and everyone was like, what kind of car is that! Now more people know what it is, but every now and then I still get people asking me what it is! I can't wait for the show season to start this year! There was already a tuner wars show here in february, but I wasn't about to start getting my car ready that early in the season, especially with all the snow we got this winter.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OZLancer1
congrats go_lancer! I also won a best mitsubishi category at a local show here in PA! I beat out some widebody eclipses and some nice cars all because mine was cleaner, different, and a better presentation. That was when the lancers first came out and I have all my badges and emblems shaved and everyone was like, what kind of car is that! Now more people know what it is, but every now and then I still get people asking me what it is! I can't wait for the show season to start this year! There was already a tuner wars show here in february, but I wasn't about to start getting my car ready that early in the season, especially with all the snow we got this winter.

I know I freaking hate winter, messes up everything, I wish I lived in Las Vegas/California somewhere like that!

Has your car ever been mistaken for a IS300 cause mine has lol....I was like "no man!! look at the back of the car"
Old Mar 30, 2005, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, the headlights are similar to the IS300. Speaking of weather, today is the best weather I've had all year so far. I'm gonna get some new good pics of my car to post up.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

i've noticed props make a HUGE difference, i cant stress that enough, although there is tough competition out there. its hard to compete with the older brother EVO showing up at the same show, but I figure as long as you go all out and make sure you promote the car as best as you can, you'll walk away with a trophy. There was a show I went to where I thought I had 4 DR class wrapped up, when a Altima rolled up with lambo doors, those unique mods are the eye catchers..
Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

make sure your rim companies name and the tires name are both horizontal and readable when sitting at the show. you'll have to make sure the tires are mounted in the right spot so that both manufacturers names (tire and rim) are horizontal and easily readable. something small, but it helps, especially at bigger shows.

edit: especially if you have a truck and the lettering on the tires is white. make sure you bring some white out and a rag. so you can white the letters again so they're perfect and the rag to dab it to keep the white out even on the letters and not blotchy.

Last edited by wingnut17; Mar 30, 2005 at 05:37 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

now thats a tip....never would have thought of that^^
Old Mar 31, 2005, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

anyone else have tips, every little bit helps.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

yea, 1 more tip, dont go to shows so i can win them. Thanks
Old Apr 1, 2005, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

I hope some more lancers come out to the shows this year. It is nice having a car that not many people have when it comes to judging since the judges like that you're different. But it would still be nice to see some more lancers. That way I could talk to someone that has the same car, compare mods, etc.
Old Apr 2, 2005, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

come on guys, keep this one going. this is a very helpful thread as long as we stay on topic.
Old Apr 2, 2005, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

best thing to do is go to shows and see what works and what doesnt.
Old Apr 2, 2005, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

there is a magazine called "SCENE" and its really good and shows "show cars" you should check it out...I have one issue, it was interesting!

Quick Reply: Car Show Tips