Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

climate control colors

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2003, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
climate control colors

has anybody been able to change the LED's behind the climate controls to the reddish orange to match the speedo/ tach colors on the evo and OZ? I'm planning on making my head unit match that color, and making the climate controls match too would compltete the package. anybody know what lights they use, and if bulb condoms, or colored LEDS would work?
Old Mar 26, 2003, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

i am trying to do the same thing. i believe many people have used bulb condoms (although i have no idea where to find these mysterious things). some people have wired up their own LEDS (the stock lights are bulbs not LEDs). I was thinking of going to an art supply store or something and getting either blue or red (to match my face and gauges) transparent material to put over the bulbs or line the back of the dash cover.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Theres two threads that are around:

1: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ight=LED+Vents

2: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ight=LED+Vents
Old Mar 26, 2003, 10:41 PM
In Timeout

green would be spooky
Old Mar 27, 2003, 02:41 AM
Evolved Member

Has anyone seen or heard from this button?

Old Mar 27, 2003, 05:57 AM
Evolving Member

i did search, thank you.. had i known to search vents and lights, i woulda been more successful. searching for climate control and colors or lights yields nothing useful. aint no newbies here asking how to change HU's.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the easyst thing to do for the mysterious bulb condom is to go on pep boys web site auto meter makes a "mini" bulb cover it actualy larger then the bulbs u need to cover but the clear plastic plate smooshs the cove around it fine i belive there is like green blue red and purple i belive there were alot of colors and yes smoosh is a very techincle term
Old Mar 27, 2003, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

I had it done. Put a red cover over the bulb(condom-type thing). Not a direct fit bulb that I am aware of, at least in red. I did it with the cover and it looks hot.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

i took the bulbs out and wired blue LEDs back there. looks okay.

EDIT: if you're replacing bulbs, make sure to do the one on the cig lighter and the one under the ashtray. nothing like forgetting and having to take everything apart a 2nd time. doh!

Last edited by datdjrobp; Mar 27, 2003 at 09:25 AM.
Old Apr 9, 2003, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, just as an update I fixed the climate control light color over to red, and got an extremely good matching color (after experimenting a bit) and thought I'd post up a quick walkthrough b/c I feel this is a quick and easy mod that most people with Evos's or OZ's would want to do to make their dash colors match.
this method even allows your temp control knob to stay blue and red, instead of other pictures i've seen that use a completely red bulb, and the blue comes out as a less bright orange (looks bad in person, trust me).

1st, go to pepboys.com and search for "bulb covers", and order 1 pack of 3 covers if you only want climate control, 2 packs of 3 if you want to do ashtray and cig lighter. should come out to like $15 bucks w/ shipping. (credit and thanks to cerfur, who recommended this further up on this thread)

next take the climate control knobs out. I put a shop rag around the portruding part, gripped it with needle nose pliers, and it pulled right out with moderate effort. then you unscrew the 2 screws uder the far left and right knob. The take a thin, wide flathead screwdriver, put a piece of electrical tape over the head, and pry of the panel, starting on the lower sides, and working your way up. then you take out the 2 screws on either end of the button cluster still remaining on the controls, then take out the 2 screws holding the transparent piece onto the cluster. remove the trnasparent piece, and with your fingers pull out the 2 bulbs (no twisting required).

now you take of the existing blue bulb condom on the bulbs, just peel it off, trying to not break it in case you might want to reuse it. now put the clear bulbs back into the instrument cluster. take 2 of the red covers you ordered, fold one and insert it into the other one, letting it unfold inside of it, you now have a 2-layer bulb condom. place it over the lower right bulb. take the remaining condom and fold it in half legnthwise also. this is the tricky part; you sanwich the folded cover in between the right side of the upper left bulb and the corresponding hole in the transparent plastic piece. wah worked for me was holding the cover in place with needle nose pliers through the bulb hole, while pressign the transparent piece onto the cluster (it should smoosh the lower right cover into place over the bulb too. while keeping pressure on the transparent piece to pinch the covers in place, put in the 2 screws that hold it in. now turn on your dash lights. the transparent pice should glow red, except for the leftmost semi-circle that goes behind the temp control knob. if it doesnt look this way, readjust the folded cover until it does. after that just reverse th rest of the process to reattach the trim panel. voila, matching dash colors...

for the ashtray, just pull it out, place a cover over the exisitng bulb, and put the ashtray back in. even the the cover is loose around the bulb, the ashtray will hold it in place...

thats it.. it probably took me longer to type up these instructions than it will take for you to do this.

as for the cigarette lighter bulb, i havent pulled out that panel yet, so if anybody has info on the best way to do this to get at that bulb, please add it to the thread. thanks.

I'll try to post pictures as soon as i can.
Old Apr 9, 2003, 04:36 PM
OX
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Hmm...., I want the guages white :-) Can't stand he red. Do gauges use bulbs also?
Old Apr 9, 2003, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

i believe they do somene on here (i think link), opened it up.. the bulbs use a bluish condom, but i think the gauges themselves are reddish orange, so a whiter light would just make them a brighter pinkish/ orange instead of the deeper color we have now.. besides you'd still have an orage odometer.. your best bet is a new cluster overlay, like one of the EL ones.
Old Apr 9, 2003, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

Any pics of this before I take apart my new Evo??
Old Apr 9, 2003, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

yes...pics please!!
Old Apr 9, 2003, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

heres the best pic i could take.. the tach and speedo look kinda dark in it, but they are practically the same shade and brightness..

I'm not planning on screwing w/ the radio LED's as i plan to change the radio to the panasonic ghost face that changes display colors.
Attached Thumbnails climate control colors-london-2002-005.jpg  

Quick Reply: climate control colors