Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

Low Profiles On Oz Rims?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2003, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low Profiles On Oz Rims?

Hey,
Has anyone put low profiles on there OZ rims i was thinking about doing that but dunno. Inputt please. I dont really want rims because im saving for a 900 gsx. thanks
Old Apr 3, 2003, 11:08 PM

im planning to do that young one.... its a great idea when you really don't want to spend too much on rims.... plus, having low profiles can increase wheel hp.... less diameter, less work and force needed for the engine.
Old Apr 3, 2003, 11:11 PM
Evolving Member

If you put low profile tires on, it'll change your speedo and tach, it'll also mess with the ecu, usually not a good idea to change tire size, newer cars are set up and designed to run with there factory size tires.
Old Apr 3, 2003, 11:11 PM

but im sure its not gonna be that much of a difference...
Old Apr 3, 2003, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by J'sLancerLS
If you put low profile tires on, it'll change your speedo and tach, it'll also mess with the ecu, usually not a good idea to change tire size, newer cars are set up and designed to run with there factory size tires.
isnt that what wheel alignment is for? i thoguth wheel alignment was everything from how straight it is and changing settings on the speedometer..etc.
Old Apr 3, 2003, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by J'sLancerLS
so basically you can't change your tires, or rims at all? i think the car will be ok after an alignment.
Old Apr 3, 2003, 11:21 PM

yep... an alignment will do the trick... .. i think ur gnna be ok... dude.. go for it..
Old Apr 3, 2003, 11:28 PM
Evolving Member

your odometer would be so off
Old Apr 3, 2003, 11:38 PM
Evolved Member

our stock tires are called low profiles the smallest i have seen /able 2 order here at least was a 50series but for how much tires would be and how itd look i dont think it would be worth it and datenshi cant say it better then that
Old Apr 3, 2003, 11:46 PM
Evolving Member

Alignment straightens your wheels after lowering the car or maybe after you hit a curb or something and the car pulls to one side. Alignment has NOTHING to do with correcting the speedo after changing tire size. When you put a smaller tire on, there is less tire rotating as you drive, thus to go the same speed as before, the tire is rotating faster than the stock size which causes the speedo to be wrong. This sometimes can mess with the ecu like I stated before. Trust me on this, I have experience with this, plus I used to be a mechanic and did many alignments back in the day.
Old Apr 3, 2003, 11:50 PM
Evolving Member

Wouldn't all that wheel gap look stupid?
Old Apr 3, 2003, 11:53 PM
Evolving Member

If you want low profile tires, you have to go with bigger rims, the main objective is to keep the same overall tire diameter. For example, the stock size for the LS and OZ is 195/60/15, to keep the same overall dimeter in 17" you would want to run a 205/45/17. Do some research on it and check some of the other threads on this site, this isn't the first time tire size has been covered.
Old Apr 4, 2003, 12:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HE HE Jason is on this sh@#! You go boy!
Old Apr 4, 2003, 01:03 AM

Alignment is exactly what J said and that it also helps with your tires so that they don't wear the wrong way. Not aligning your tires could result in warped tires which are no good when you want to change the back tires with the front tires.
Old Apr 4, 2003, 01:24 AM

I plane to put 40's on my OZ rims after i put the adjustable coilovers so that my car will basicaly sit on the ground. the lower the better. so i am not woried about the speedo because i wont be able to drive that fast anyway

Quick Reply: Low Profiles On Oz Rims?