Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

death to chrome grilles

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2006, 04:46 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok cool. thanks. when i get some extra time i will have a whack at it.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 04:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally bit the bullet..

I have been debating whether I should, or rather how I should put mesh in my upper grille. Talking to my neighbor and he suggested getting some softer aluminum mesh and wrap it around the existing inserts. I stopped by Lowes and picked up some gutter mesh. Cut it to fit and inserted the upper edge into the top fin area of the grille insert and wrapped the rest. Used two (2) plastic ties to secure the top from popping out and off the grille insert. Everything else was wrapped tight and then remounted. One could paint it as well, but you would have to paint before you wrap and mount since the black stock grill inserts are still there and would get painted too.

I am happy with the results.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Painted my grille over the weekend. Might be adding painted mesh as well.

Attached Thumbnails death to chrome grilles-new-grille.jpg  
Old Jul 3, 2006, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

bsc: i'd considered mesh myself but i was unsure of how it would look with the plastic behind the inserts that support them... it would all be clearly visible through the mesh.

do you have pictures of the grille with mesh in it that we can see?
Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:28 PM
Evolving Member

Mesh Grille wrapped around stock grille

Yep... here is a link...the pics are big... but that will let you see the detail up close.

Just click here to begin. To see the gallery from the lead pic.. click the pic. After that you will get a few thumbnails which you click to view the larger image. It is a quick and dirty gallery. Nothing fancy.

The first thing you might notice is the paint job which is in desperate need of repainting. Hood started chipping in first year after I bought it. The close up shots of the grill you will be able to see the plastic ties I used to secure it to the stock grille inserts. The rest is secured by wrapping and then mounting to grille frame. It is very secure, and from a distance you do not see the stock grille louvers. Now if you use large mesh grille holes...then you might be right. Like I said, I bought some Gutter mesh guard from Lowes. It has two clips on each piece, but easily removed. It also has a slight curve to it, however it is a very pliable aluminum mesh. I recommend it. As far as painting, I am not sure how it would last against the rocks and such. Maybe someone else can say something to that.

~Barry

Originally Posted by atilla
bsc: i'd considered mesh myself but i was unsure of how it would look with the plastic behind the inserts that support them... it would all be clearly visible through the mesh.

do you have pictures of the grille with mesh in it that we can see?
Old Jul 4, 2006, 12:55 AM
Evolved Member

looks slick!

while on the subject of grilles: i got a quote from poh at creative sports about the cedia grille... $380 plus $55 shipping to the US of A...

...looks like i won't be getting one of those!
Old Jul 4, 2006, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

Painting mesh if wrapping around the stock grille.. Do not do it

I thought I might try dusting the grille with some black so it would not be so bright. Big mistake. The stock grille louvers showed up plain as day. Spent the next 1 hour with some paint thinner, brush, rag and water hose to get the paint off the mesh. Looks better now. One good thing is that it took the glare off the grille. It is a little more subtle and looks better.

But again... I would not recommend painting the mesh grille if you decide to wrap around the stock grille like I did. If you want to paint it... I would suggest buying a new grille to replace the whole thing. Just my thoughts on it though.

~Barry