Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

About the Depo Carbon Fiber Tail lights for Lancer

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2003, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About the Depo Carbon Fiber Tail lights for Lancer

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me out. I recieved the CF tails from RRM and it looks great! But there was a problem with shipping and the edges were cracked so it looks kinda fawk up. I thought maybe it would be a great if I can just fix it by trying to even out the edge with sandpaper and other tools. Can any of you guys recommend what type of stuff to use in order to do a great job? I think it would be good to sand it off also as the CF lights themselves IMO is not even with the body frame. Here is the pic of the crack:
Attached Thumbnails About the Depo Carbon Fiber Tail lights for Lancer-p1010015.jpg  

Last edited by initialDRacer; Aug 7, 2003 at 10:50 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Here is a pic of it installed:

Notice the cracks...
Attached Thumbnails About the Depo Carbon Fiber Tail lights for Lancer-p1010017.jpg  
Old Jul 14, 2003, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

are those the TYC lights or the Depo ones? RRM Sells Depo lights not TYC. I would use a dremel tool to smooth it down and then once you get close use some different grit sand papers made for acrylic so that you get a clear finish not a hazzy obviously sanded finsih.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry guru_del, i put the wrong name, it is the DEPO lights sold by RRM I edited my post...
Old Jul 14, 2003, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

The taillights I received were cracked like yours but a little more damage on the right light... I agree that they look very sweet. Damn UPS f***ing up our lights! So now I had to file a claim with them and have them pick up the lights and return to roadrace. Now I wait for UPS to pickup and for roadrace to send me new ones.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

yes its UPS's fault.....

im sure depo has no satisfaction certification like regular american factories. you know like ISO 9002.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

gfd205 I think I'll just do the same thing as you and return for replacement. Too much hassle in trying to fix this. It should have been plug and play. Hope the replacement will fit like a glove.

Hey do any of you guys/gals know where to get those white clips that attach the lights to the body frame? Those things are hard to remove without breaking.
Old Jul 18, 2003, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Fawk i hate UPS

I waited like a day for them to pick up the damaged lights and they didn't show up!!! agghhhh

Then the next day they said they will be there in like between 1pm and 3pm and again they didn't show up

So I was running out of patience cause i was going to do some ****(I have a shet to do than wait here for the damn UPS guys) and then afterwards I just left the damn package outside for them to pickup and left them a message saying it was a claim and it was damaged.

So wow thank god, they picked it up... A day later, those idiots returned the package to me. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????? They probably thought it was a package for me...what a bunch of morons I'm gonna shoot everyone at UPS

I hate having damage lights, this is so frustrating, I can't believe I have to deal with this bullshet for $200 bucks
Old Jul 18, 2003, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

quick question... do the boxes that the lights come in say fragile on em, like with a sticker or anything... I've worked at UPS and I know for a fact that when some of the guys/gals are pissed off... they love to take out agression on the fragile boxes... also what kinda packing came in the boxes the lights were shpped with?
Old Jul 18, 2003, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Naw, it just says "Do not stack" sticker nothing else. I think the packaging done by DEPO is crap ...they just shove the lights in with a few little styrofoams and put the lights in the plastic bag for hopes it won't get tossed by ups as dodgeballs

Last edited by initialDRacer; Jul 18, 2003 at 11:56 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2003, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

We may need to let RRM know this is a widespread problem. Maybe they could check the lights before shipping, it might not be an issue with transport...

Otherwise, I would happily pay a little more to have RRM package it in a bigger box with some heavier padding.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Ok great, i just got my tail lights back Well let me just give my honest opinion. To tell you the truth, the molding isn't quite as professionally made as one might expect(or maybe I'm just bad luck of getting the crappy ones ) I mean it's so so but its not perfect like the stock lights that came with the lancer, maybe I'm just picky. I'll show pics later. Everything else is great except the outer edges seems to not merge well with the body frame. So you might need to do a little sanding working to make it a perfect fit.

Also, I'm still having problems with the electrical part. When I got it, two of the outer red lights wasn't working so I jiggled it a little bit on the light bulb part and one of them worked(the left one). While the other light(the right one), the lights come on when you turn on the headlights, but when you press the break, only one of them comes on solid red. Hmm I'm wondering if it will actually just dont work at all and that's quite dangerous on the road.

Well, I called Depo (maxzone) about it and they said they'll give me new wiring harnesses. So I have to wait another 4days until I can use these lights.

But the plus side! They do look great, I hope the gunmetals won't have these much problems as did my carbon fibers.

Rating of the lights:

Looks: 10/10
Craftsmanship: 6.5/10
Electrical: 5/10

Other opinions: Doesn't come with plastic plugs so you'll have a pain to remove the plugs(and might need new ones if you mess it up) that came with the stock lights.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

Hard plastics are hard to get perfect fitment, especially aftermarket plastics, unfortunately it's how it is, some are okay, some are not. *shrug*
Old Aug 7, 2003, 10:29 AM
In Timeout

there was a thread on how to fix the depo lighting up problem. Its like a 2 minute fix and you cant mess it up. I know myself and like 5 others ran into the same thing and we all got them fixed w/o the new harness....
Old Aug 7, 2003, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by JWERNER24
there was a thread on how to fix the depo lighting up problem. Its like a 2 minute fix and you cant mess it up. I know myself and like 5 others ran into the same thing and we all got them fixed w/o the new harness....
The first tail lights I got(the one pictured above), I fixed the problem with the wiring harness and it's indeed very easy. This time around it's a different problem when I got these replacement lights. the wiring harness doesn't work for just one bulb when pressing the brake, but they all light up when you turn on the headlight switch.

Quick Reply: About the Depo Carbon Fiber Tail lights for Lancer