Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

Cleaning the interior?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2003, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning the interior?

Just a quick question, what do you use to clean the interior. I know armorl is used to make it shine, but what about the actually cleaning before the shine?
Old Jul 31, 2003, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

Eagle1 20/20 Glass Cleaner, Armor All...

I also scotch guard once a month. Otherwise, a wet rag, hand-held carpet cleaner, and shop vac.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll think I'm crazy, but I clean my dash while waiting for green light. I've got those wet naps in my glove box. So once or twice a week, while waiting on the light, I take one out and start cleaning the interior. When I get home I finnish it off with Armor All.

Carpet: I simply vaccum, shampoo twice, vaccum again. Unfortunatly I cain't do that part on the red light
Old Jul 31, 2003, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

i use meguire's interior cleaner....and i use this thing for the inside called rainbow (vacuum\deodorizor\air cleaner\shampoo, all in one)
Old Jul 31, 2003, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

you know, i personally try not to use any chemicals inside the car. I hate even the slightest streak, or foggy window, so i use this special widow cleaning pad. You just rub down the windows with it and the foggyness disapears like magic, no chemicals needed.

As for the dash, a damp rag. I would rather use a mild cleaner such as a vinyl and leather cleaner. Its really gentle and doesnt leave much of a shine ( i dont like shine)

Be sure not to use windex on that clear plastic over the speedo. It will cause fogging (eventually).

Dont use any chemicals on tint.

Meguires, Like psmokie said would be good. I use to use their leather cleaner and it was really really good. I would just recomend not using any strong chemicals, it might lead to cracking later on.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

This might seem dumb, but speaking of the clear plastic over the speedo... I have never touched it with anything other than a soft cotton cloth, yet i still have some swirly scratches that bug the hell out of me. First off is there anyway to remove such scratches? Does anyone know of a product that reduces scratches on plastic? And also what should I clean this plastic with?
Thanks
-wes
Old Jul 31, 2003, 10:05 PM
Evolving Member

i think these scratches are unavoidable, i got them too. Id just clean it with the softest cloth ever.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by psmokie68
i use meguire's interior cleaner....and i use this thing for the inside called rainbow (vacuum\deodorizor\air cleaner\shampoo, all in one)
rainbow huh? i got the same vacuum hehe..i call it r2d2..that's what it looks like
Old Jul 31, 2003, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

also, about the scratches over the spedom. i remember mine got really hazed from using a glass cleaner wipe..anyway, i got this mother's plastic restorer stuff and works great. my spedo. thing looks normal again. still a few scratches here and there but other then that it looks good.
Old Aug 1, 2003, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

I use mothers, it does a great job. Does'nt matter who's mom you use just make sure you get them real WET j/k Mothers works great I hear armorall cracks **** after a long period of time.
Old Aug 1, 2003, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
armor all is probably the worst thing you can put on your dash. it penetrates too deeply into the vinyl and causes it to crack over time (even tho it says it prevents cracking and UV fading) and is IMPOSSIBLE to get off. once you put it on its there forever.

All you need is some mild soap and water.
Old Aug 1, 2003, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

If you do choose to use ArmorAll (which I do, and have used without fail for 10 years) go for the wipes. They cost a little bit more, but since you don't spray on, there is less overall penetration.

Zlancer is right about that, although I've never heard of a dash cracking because of ArmorAll, it will get in there nice and deep. The wipes just protect the surface since such a small amount of cleaner is actually used.

As for the glass, I keep hearing about this "special" pad for windows, but nobody ever seems to know what it's called. Somebody want to enlighten me?
Old Aug 1, 2003, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

zlancer how do you get it to shine then?
Old Aug 1, 2003, 08:42 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Armor All is pure, unadultered ****. Sorry for those who use it, but it's the truth.

I've been using 303 Aerospace Protectant for a few years - it's everything armor all claims to be, but it actually works. It's not greasy, it doesn't stain, it doesn't cause cracks. It has a UV protectant, though I'm not sure how well it works.
Old Oct 17, 2003, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

armor all really is bad for your car... it actually can leech the plasticizers out of the plastic.. that is why some cars have that flakey dry white appearance on their dash and interior vinyl's and plastics. I've heard though if you use armor all continuously and religiously, it will not do that... but why risk it. Get Meguiars or another high end brand... good rule of thumb is that if you can buy the entire line of some sort of car care product at a grocery store or general store like Wal-Mart.. it's not going to be the greatest of stuff... one thing I have to renig on though with that statement is that Meguiars is starting to show up in more places... but it is definitely high quality stuff... so when in doubt... use good stuff and stay far away from Armor All