Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

Is no 3rd tail light illegal?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2008, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is no 3rd tail light illegal?

Hi all, I was thinking about putting an EVO 8 wing on my OZ lancer. The OZ stock wing has the tail light in the middle, while the EVO wing does not have it at all. Is it illegal to drive without the third tail light? or should I move it to the rear windshield?
Old May 25, 2008, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

depends on the state... mostly it's for safety.

when i had a VII wing i got an evo third brake light and put it in the car. it's not hard to do.
Old May 25, 2008, 07:08 PM

I don't know if it's illegal or not, but you probably won't get pulled over for it, if it is.

The 3rd tail light on my truck has been out for awhile, and no one has given me any trouble.

Last edited by MikeL17; May 25, 2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old May 25, 2008, 07:16 PM

im a cop in jerzey, yes its illegal and yes you will get a ticket eventually and fail inspection
Old May 25, 2008, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

I've been driving around without one for quite sometime here in CA. We're known for some strict policies. I suppose if you don't drive like a maniac, you can run under the radar.

Driving without one is illegal. But that decision is up to you.

If you feel obligated to have a third brake light, you can get one from the dealer for about 70USD.
Old May 25, 2008, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kel4
Hi all, I was thinking about putting an EVO 8 wing on my OZ lancer. The OZ stock wing has the tail light in the middle, while the EVO wing does not have it at all. Is it illegal to drive without the third tail light? or should I move it to the rear windshield?
yes it is illegal
Old May 25, 2008, 09:45 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by atilla
depends on the state... mostly it's for safety.

when i had a VII wing i got an evo third brake light and put it in the car. it's not hard to do.
It's a federal law (NHTSA) not state, as are the vast majority, if not all, car safety equipment laws.
Old May 25, 2008, 11:01 PM
Evolving Member

eh not everyone will notice that your car doesnt have one... i drive my car without one and still havent been pulled over for it... and my left brake light bulb is out too so when i brake only my right side works lol.... if ur so worried about it get one....
Old May 26, 2008, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by otter
It's a federal law (NHTSA) not state, as are the vast majority, if not all, car safety equipment laws.
d'oh! you'd think that the whole NATIONAL part of NHTSA would have told me something, right?

thanks for clearing that up.
Old May 26, 2008, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

cars from 1993 or so didn't come with third brake lights. if your car was equipped with a third brake light when it was made.. it is expected to be working.
Old May 26, 2008, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

I had my evo wing for like one year and I haven't been pulled over for it yet. Just last week I checked out ebay and just bought one for $15. So if you wish to buy one check around the internet to see if you can get it cheaper if not then go to the dealership.
Old May 26, 2008, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As has been stated. You are supposed to have one and in most cases fail inspection without one. I have failed because of this. when I need inspection I throw stock trunk/oz wing on. Other time I dont have one. Been over 2 years with no issues from cops about it.
Old May 28, 2008, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Passed my inspection. Even if I did have a 3rd brake light, my back tint is so dark you still wouldn't see it.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, I going to go ahead and do it without the third brake light. I called the insurance company today and they were cool with it. Now I just need to find a cheap used Evo8 wing.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BensLancer
Passed my inspection. Even if I did have a 3rd brake light, my back tint is so dark you still wouldn't see it.
Whoever did you tint suppose go around the 3rd brake light to make sure it can be seen.

It's illegal not to have it, it's inspector's discretion whether to pass you or not, I think you just got lucky.

Quick Reply: Is no 3rd tail light illegal?