Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

have a painting question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2008, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have a painting question

ok so i got in a a little accident and i am ready to paaint my fender, but what would be a good way to do it, can u buy the paint in a spray can and do it that way and spray with with clear coat too, or would it be better if i baut the like 2 pints of paint and get it done with a spray gun?
Old Nov 24, 2008, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

If you can get factory base in a spray can then that would be fine..... But it must match or else it is going to look bad. The base will need 2 to 3 coats. You want to put the first layer on vertically and the next layer on horizontally. When your painting overlap each one about 1/3 of the way.

On your clear coat I would def use a spray gun.... Otherwise I'm afraid you would end up with orange peel...

I paint a lot and this is my opinion. This doesn't mean there isn't another way to do it.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 08:27 AM

thats what i was thinking of doin
thanks man
Old Nov 24, 2008, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Will this idea work with my whole car?

I'm kidding by the way...
Old Nov 25, 2008, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

I think it would work better with your whole car actually because it will be much harder to actually match the paint of the guys fender to the rest of his car
Old Nov 25, 2008, 12:24 AM
Evolved Member

Prep your fender and front door so you get a panel to blend the color out on. Sand with 800 till the surface looks dull. Use acetone to degrease everything. lay the base down to cover the fender damage. then up your pressure like say 5 or so pounds and start flicking your wrist where the end of the fender damage area meets the door. You do not want to end with you gun pointing straight at the panel. Sort of throw the paint out towards the door. You got quite a big panel to blend with so you should be fine. Make sure you cover the fender damage first with your color before you start "throwing" your color out. If you are scared of running the clear just go easy and dont worry bout the orange peel. Do a first dry coat. then a little wetter one. think of a spray bottle when you spray it on a mirror. It doesn't wet completely slick the first spray. takes a few repeated sprays to make it slick. Same as the clear. Do about coats of clear so you have room to sand it down and buff it out.

In all honestly i wouldnt paint it yourself unless you have been painting for a while. trust me saving a few bucks on paint isn't worth having to live with a constant eyesore of a bad paint job....
Old Nov 25, 2008, 12:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you need the correct paint, check out http://www.paintscratch.com/
Old Nov 25, 2008, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
here is my tip... Prep the part you want painted(prep it the RIGHT WAY TO). and take it to a body shop for them to paint and clear coat.. they wont charge you to much, normally just the cost of the paint and a little labor since they dont have to prep it at all.. thats what i have been doing for a while now, i normally do ok and save alot.